What do you think about the anointed?

by MrFreeze 35 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

The whole thing is rather pointless. How do you become one of them? You say you are. Unless you are very old there is good chance that no one is going to believe you. And what does being one of this special class of christians involve? Nothing really. They don't write articles for the Watchtower. There are no special meetings or assemblies were these annointed ones get together to make decission for God's people. They don't even get a special badge or hat that says "I'm of the Annointed". All they get to do is once a year have a very small portion of wine and cracker that no one else is allowed to have.

• Chalam
    Chalam

cattails Being "anointed" is being a "Christian," linguistically. I believe what Jesus said about needing to be born again, born from above, spiritually speaking.

Amen!

MrFreeze I understand what you are saying but I'm talking about anointed as in the JW sense of the word, like they believe they are among the few chosen to go to heaven. It is a false doctrine from the start.

1 John 2:26-27 (New International Version)

26 I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

1 John 2:19-21 (New International Version)

19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth. 21 I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 (New International Version)

21 Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, 22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Blessings,

Stephen

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Well I wasnt a senile old fool....I understand the sceptics though.....

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/191090/1/Hello-this-is-my-story

Loz x

• St George of England
    St George of England

When I was a youngster in the 1950's there were lots of anointed in our congregation and also surrounding congregations. They were just ordinary folk and no one treated them as special. The congregation was very happy, never seemed to have any issues and DFing almost unheard of.

In more recent years I know a sister who is in her 60's and of the anointed; quite an ordinary sort of person but only been in 'the truth' about 25 years so she has never really been accepted as anointed. In fact one elder actually said from the platform 'we do not have any anointed in this congregation'. This despite WT getting rid of the 1931/1935 door closing!

George

• blondie
    blondie

Most people on this board are too young to have been a part of the WTS prior to 1935 when the vast majority if not all considered themselves "anointed." They were younger, vital people, not the much older people today (it would be helpful to talk to someone about these "crazy" people who knew them as part of the WTS when they were in their 20's).

I grew up around my grandparents who were from that generation and their friends in their age group. No one was any more bizarre than anyone at the KH. There were a variety of personalities. Over the years I have known more than 50 "anointed" and found them to be sincere about their beliefs as Christians. They would always tell me that the requirements to be anointed were the same as for any Christian, they were not holier, less sinful, did not receive special revelations; were kind and energetic about talking to others about the Christ, their older brother.

If you became a member of the WTS in 1886, you were anointed upon your baptism....

Today I have met some that after 25 years of being a jw, felt they had received the "calling" but were not arrogant about it.

I have met a few that flung around their "status" but I never hesitated to point out that they had no more holy spirit than I did.

I am not talking about people like Rutherford, Woodworth, Knorr, or Fred Franz. The vast majority before 1935 were just like we were when we were believing jws.

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

What proof do they have to show theyre anointed? How do the elders know who is and isnt? They must have some sort of criteria or else they wouldnt be able to say this one is or isnt really anointed. The whole thingis too mysterious for me.

• dgp
    dgp

Good point, Blondie.

• blondie
    blondie

What proof do you think they should provide? Tongues of fire come down on their heads? That only happened at Pentecost 33 C.E.

What proof did Christians provide in the first century?

It's supposed to be between them and God. If they falsely claim, then it is between them and God.

In the end the requirements to be a Christian are the same for all, no separate requirements for anointed and non-anointed.

• chickpea
    chickpea

blondie... thank you for that insight...

it really humanizes the people who are
    often mischaracterized by the JW version
    of urban legends....

to answer the question: i think the
    whole concept of heavenly class,
    earthly hope, yada yada is absurd....
    crikey, even the concept of heaven is beyond
    what i choose to believe any more....

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I knew three partakers in my time as a JW. One was a lady who waffled on being one of the anointed. First she wasn't, then she was, then she wasn't again.

The second was a guy who, along with his wife, had been a hippy, who grew and smoked a lot of marijuana before becoming a JW.

The other was just plain odd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit