For Perry: There was no global flood, so stop looking for Noah's Ark

by BurnTheShips 100 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

designs,

Your broad brush historical statements are just plain false

The Bishop's tried to avoid the contradictions in their metaphysics but failed, but its just philosophy, no harm trying...........oh wait they did go on an intolerant killing rampage for 1800 years didn't they. God forbid that bright minds could see through the Bishops crap.

Nothing you can say will ever change the falsity of this statement as I explained above. This is nearly identical to WT propaganda.

• designs
    designs

Perry-

Your mind is closed to historical reality. You exchanged being a Witness for another Cult mindset. You aren't done with religion yet. I get it, I wasn't ready either and went to all sorts of Christian and non-christian faiths to see for myself. There were nice people in all of them. People are generally nice and civil. One's religious persuassion has a mixed influence of one's behavior. Some of the rottenest and most dishonest people I have dealt with in business over the past 45 years have been those who proclaim themselves 'Born Again', sad really, but at least they warn me ahead of time on what to expect.

I'll be glad to engage you again on another topic.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Designs, you certainly don;t speak as one who has an education from 'friends' in seminaries. If that were true, you would have left the WTS years earlier. When did you discover your 'truth' that the bible was tampered with. What proofs do you have? Why did you continue to go door to door with a Catholic book [the bible] and call Catholics apostates? If the bible is a catholic book, then it is not possible for catholics to be apostates,is it?

dc

• designs
    designs

TT

All of these issues have been discussed thoroughly on other threads, do some homework in the archives it doesn't need to be rehashed now.

My new life is coming along fine and that's what matters now.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Fair enough Designs, I have to find your previous threads , go through them to get these answers. Could you please just elaborate on your comment about bishops/cardinals altering or tampering with scriptures. Just that one question please. If that is true, i would want to know as I am a catholic and want to know. I know that there has been 3 different councils through the early church years who had voted on the cannon accepted as the word of God. The 1st voted council was at the end of the 1st century, the 2nd was at the beginning of the 3rd century and the last was at the end of the 3rd century. The point is that the accepted bible cannon has not changed much at all since the 1st to the 3rd council. No books were removed that were preciously voted in, so where, when, and who made these changes that you post about?!

dc

• Caedes
    Caedes

Matthew 24:36-40 (King James Version)
    36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
    37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
    38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
    39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Copied from Perry (post 3225) Perry, Would it alter the point of what Jesus was saying if the flood was local or global? No, the point he is making is that it was sudden and that lots of people didn't see it coming. Alice, Yes, Monty (BTS) is guilty of long 'cut and paste' posts with no personal comment too, although at least he includes a link for the source and usually reads and understands what he has posted, unlike you.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Perry:

I somehow overlooked your response, yesterday.

How would you know which commentaries to use?

Great question. Further, how does one know how to interpret Scripture? How does one decide what is literal and what is figurative? Have any of your brothers literally removed their hands or eyes, after recognizing their 'sin' in regards to these members? Probably not.

IMHO, the faith of all believers is based upon a unique interpretation of Scripture.

• Perry
    Perry
    Perry-
    Your mind is closed to historical reality. You exchanged being a Witness for another Cult mindset. You aren't done with religion yet.

Designs,

Historical reality is that millions and millions of believers over the past 2000 years had no connection to either the Reformers or the Catholic Church. Mountains of evidence supports this. No matter how badly you want this to be other wise, it just will never be. My previous links prove this. You can repeat otherwise until you are blubbering in an insane asylum and it still will never change the facts of historical congregational Christian history. Ever.

Did the Montanists never exist? Did the Donatists never exist? How about the Albigenses or the Waldenses or Anabaptists? How about the dozens of other nameless groups of born-again Christians over the past 2000 years representing millions of people chronicled in books such a "The Reformers and their Stepchildren".

It is sad to see someone hang on to such falsehoods in the face of irrefutable evidence.

I wasn't ready either and went to all sorts of Christian and non-christian faiths to see for myself.

And until you abandon yourself to Jesus, it won't matter how many churches you go to in the future either; you will never see God without Jesus. Once I understood what God was really asking me to do, I was shocked at how utterly difficult it was to trust. I found that there was nothing in my experience that could prepare me for surrender to God..... certainly not any church. And yet, I did it.

God answers many of my prayers now. He has restored my self-respect, and continually crafts me into the image of his Son. God blesses me so much everyday with peace of mind, that I can't even imagine how I lived without him before. My wife, a former atheist, and now bible teacher for children feels the same way.

I could go on and on, but the point is that God took a burnt out, drugged out, angry man like me and tamed me like a lion trainer makes tigers purrr. God is awesome.... that's all I know.

• Perry
    Perry

Lwt,

Understanding real historical, non-catholic, pre-reformation Christian history helped me to get a feel for things. Really, all you need is a copy of the King James bible (or other language bible - based on the textus receptus) and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

I do consult a few resources that have a good reputation among those that follow those two biblical criteria, but I don't put them before the Word and the Spirit. Those are the only AUTHORIZED resources in scripture. Word and Spirit.

God is there, he is definitely knowable

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Perry, stop trying to "flip the script." Don't answer a question with a question. Don't prevaricate and change the subject with funny cartoons. Don't derail the thread with interdenominational warfare.

This thread is about the Flood, just the Flood, and only the Flood. I won't engage other things, here.

Others have already adequately answered the question you posed to me.

A global flood as told in the story is not possible. There is no evidence for it other than a morality story in Genesis, although there may be a nugget of truth in terms of a regional flood, which I concede is possible.

It is a story with many valences, we see obvious parallels with the Gilgamesh epic.

If the Hebrews lived in Egypt for a time, as I believe they did, they would have been familiar with how the Nile would flood in its season, bringing rich silt.

The first thing that would appear when the water level descended were mounds of this silt, small mountaintops peeking above the receding flood.

Newly silted mud. Ready to burst with life, and life giving crops.

Every year the Egyptians relived the Flood story.

Deal with reality, Perry.

The importance of the story is the moral it teaches, not that it literally happened.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit