Has anyone here been a 'chairman' for an assembly? Question with regard to the script for introductions

by ThomasCovenant 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Only first introduction but great. I would like to attend and read aloud along with it

• JWFreak
    JWFreak

Yes there are 20 pages.....too many to scan....so I just did page 1 to give you all an idea.

Very boring....however it does show the control method

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

How many organizations would stipulate what to say and how to say it when it comes to a simple hello and welcome.

Did you say control?

• yknot
    yknot

It isn't boring to me......

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Control? The talks aren't scripted (at least not all). All things orderly and by arrangement. It makes sense to me to script this. I think it would be true for most an similar scenario in any organization.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Completely scripted, my husband has been chairman many times. We laugh at the instructions but I guess they do this to keep the loose canons from completely flubbing it up.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I recall the first time I was a chairman being given a script and I was floored that every word was scripted. I joked with the CO that maybe he should script out the opening prayer for me as well.

wannabefree - there are several manuscript talks each year but as you say not all are. However, the speakers must "practice" in front of a committee(at least I've had to in the past) who will approve the talk. I'm sure the CO & DO are exempt from this since they're usually on the committee.

I doubt many organizations will script comments between speakers to this level. I've been to professional conferences and while the speaker's introduction is scripted (providing bio information) certainly not every word is. Basically, I felt like they just didn't put any trust in a low level manager being able to do anything right.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

I'm not the least bit surprised that the chairman's remarks are scripted. We all know what happens when you put an JW in front of a microphone with no script. Here's a hint: "Dear Jehovah...blah blah blah for 5 minutes...blah blah blah for a couple more minutes...Amen."

• JWFreak
    JWFreak

Hi Doubting Bro

The procedure changed 3 years ago, there has been no manuscript talks for 3 years, but the outlines are much tighter now, there is no room to go off topic.

Also there is no longer any scrutinizing of talks, plus they only rehearse demos and interviews now

Hope you are ok bud

JWF

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Thanks to JW Freak

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit