Blondie's Comments You Will Not Hear at the 07-11-10 WT Study (WOMEN SUBMIT)

by blondie 68 Replies latest jw friends

• elderelite
    elderelite

in line with JIFB comment, even the context in which the brother used it was not the least derogatory. It sounded as if he was encouraging men to use and value the opinions of women. He suggested "tap that resource", meaning dont devalue it, dont ignore it, USE IT. That is completely in line with what we are all encouraging here. I understand this is a hot button topic, and yes I have already said on this thread that I think women are undervalued. But in context mentioned that was exactly the opposite of what the brother was encouraging. He chose an unfortunate twist of phrase that JIFB caught ( as I'm sure many others did) I personally have a resource at home that I tap at every opportunity.. see thats a double entendre that I did on purpose. Its funny but true because I value my wifes opinion and it also falls into line with the Urban meaning. As much as I would like to agree, in this case the speaker was clearly trying his level headed old white man best to build up the value of women, not tear it down.

• snowbird
    snowbird

So much of what LHG says resonates with me.

I came in with an UBM, divorced him (Scripturally), no child support (he refused to work).

Having some college under my belt, I worked hard to provide a decent standard of living for me and my child.

Pretty soon, I was the target for everyone who needed a helping hand.

Elders' wives also targeted me as an outlet for their insecurities regarding their husbands.

At the end, I was miserable and had an emotional breakdown.

The JW religion is not kind to women.

Syl

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SNOWBIRD,

Thanks for seeing what I mean. Sorry, but the two men above who rebutted my posts are just not seeing the picture. In fact, I think they DO NOT WANT to see the picture.

ELDERELITE,

Not to be argumentative, but I am NOT buying it that this builds up the value of women. It is one of those left-hand type flatteries (maybe I am using the wrong term). Whatever was said, and no matter how 'kindly' it was put, the bottom line is that it is all about targeting women (especially single women) in the religion to do things. And even if the speaker didn't mean for it to be that way, it will certainly be interpreted that way.

'NUF SAID

• elderelite
    elderelite

LHG, I get it.. backhanded compliment... as you say no need to let it go to far. For the record, I would suggest, not that we dont want see the picture, but that you have been burned and are wary of anything comming close to that again. I compley agree that the org as a whole allows this type of thing. but it wasnt there in that remark. I would also say that if you talke to my wife, or JIFB wife, they would tell you in a new york minute that we dont feel that way and I personally have done everything in my power to promote and enourage a differnt point of view in my congregation. To be clear, I KNOW IT HAPPENS! IT IS WRONG! ON EVERY LEVEL! I DO NOT SUPPORT, ENCOURAGE OR CONDONE IT! i have a daugther that I dont want to be treated that way, I get it. Just not in that comment. I promise I will not go back to this and if you want to respond I will read and quietly nod my head. All those who have had to deal first hand with the dramma deserve to speak their peace, but not all should be painted with the same broad brush. That is the very thing you are fighting against.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

"wasting somebody's time and physical and mental resources"

now this I do get.

I just don't think that type of "taking advantage of" is limited to women in the org- but rather applies to every congo member. I also think that's what every religion does as well. Some just are extreme about it in the worst way - which imo, makes JWs treatment of women far better than many other religions, orgs, and even cultures.

I'm not saying it doesn't fall short, not by any means. It's just that when I look for universal truths, I find that any religion that adhere's to sexist treatment of women based on ancient cultures and belief systems - well they're pretty much all at fault. So it turns me away from religion. But if I did believe the Bible should be intrepreted literally like JWs do, then I would say they are at least as reasonable as any other fundy christian denom - in that respect. Which again, I still don't think is good enough, at least not for the universal truth that encompasses human equality.

In the end though, if one is born into the JW religion, it wouldn't be the worst for women. And if they can laugh out loud at a convention at the older speaker who doesn't know what "tap that..." means - then I think such ones have a lot of potential to see beyond the dogmaticism of the JW world view.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

In the end though, if one is born into the JW religion, it wouldn't be the worst for women.

No, it wouldn't. You could have been born into Islam or Ultra Conservative Judaism. Or there's another flipside to this, you could have been a born-in male. You would be pressured constantly to perform. At least with being a JW woman, all you have to do is show up and look pretty.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    all you have to do is show up and look pretty.

LOL.

Why does this religion remind me so of the Old South?

Syl

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I don't mind following the headship biblical arrangement. However, the minute my husband doesn't rule the home like Christ rules the congregation, with the same kindness and consideration, then all bets are off.

I shall be no martyr, and he knows it verywell!!!

DY

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ah!! BRAIN food!!! brain food

THANK you, Blondie!!!

Zid

• sherah
    sherah

Crappy sexist WT (no surprise) but damn good thread! All of the point of views are appreciated.

I can totally relate to LongHairGal's experience. Lots of users among the R&F and BOE and often single, working sisters are seen as targets with unlimited time and financial resources. I could write a book on some of the stuff I was asked to do...sigh. I started saying 'no', without apology or justification.

But I think we can all agree that the WT is genius at 'tapping' folks at their prime. Men benefit because for all of their hardwork they get position and respect. Women, not so much.

Misery - At least with being a JW woman, all you have to do is show up and look pretty.

True, just shake off the users and losers, LOL. But this statement could segway into another discussion on the double standards of appearances and beauty in the cong.

Is the WT the worse religion for females to be born into? Not really but it's far from the top on a short list.

Sorry Blondie if this is OT. Thanks for preparing this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit