Discussion on the way out of convention

by Mickey mouse 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Sunday evening there were a group of sisters talking on their walk back to the carpark. It went something like this:

"So if the generation just means that your life overlapped with people who were around in 1914, couldn't that just go on forever?"

""I guess...." (looked at each other confused, then at me as I walked past).

To which I said: "Oh yes, remember the days when the generation was a simple 70 years from 1914?"

I've also talked about this to family members; the nooo light is not going down too well.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Interesting.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Cognizant dissonance will set in, unfortunately, and they will go on their merry way as if NOTHING has changed. I hope there are those that truly wake up but the majority will hardly be roused from their kool-aid slumber.

The bottom line is that this new spin means that Jesus meant nothing by even bringing up a generation, sooo....he could have said nothing and the result would be the same. No one knows when...oh wait...he did say that.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

For real, MM?

That's a comfort. I was talking with one of my relatives who had recently attended the DC and heard the talk about the overlapping generation, and despite me giving all the reasons why it didn't make sense, he defended it quite vehemently as if it were the most logical thing in the world.

• Borgdrone
    Borgdrone

It seems like another delay tactic.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I talked to one of my relatives who said that he could never work out why they were always trying to calculate it before when Jesus said "no man knows the day or hour". He told me about his memories of 1975.

At least he's thinking.

• steve2
    steve2

I predict that this will not be a big deal for most JWs. If previous conventions are anything to go by, very few attendees mull over the "significance" of the presentations - and fewer still "get" the new light ("Duh...what was the old light anyway?" )

It'll be business as usual for most JWs - which simply means their well trodden routines won't be disturbed as they trudge their dreary way through this joyless existence.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

That's good MM! My relative mentioned above used to think quite deeply, but due to some changes in his circumstances the past couple of years, he's become more of a pod person - certainly it appears that way on the surface. After pressing the point and reminding him of the 'generation's' history, he did say something like 'we're feeling our way.' But he blocks off any disconfirming information more now than he used to. Hey-ho.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

"Pod person", ha ha, I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

LOL Yeah I like that movie - the one with Donald Sutherland - there have been at least 3 versions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit