How did you personally endure the torture during the DC?

by whatistruth 32 Replies latest jw friends

• whatistruth
    whatistruth

My assembly was a couple of weeks ago and lets just say the only way i could possibly get through that b.s was by having some "funny stuff" before the sessions, then to my car at lunch. Pretty much slept the days away. My wife would constintaly ask me what was wrong with me, i said i was feeling really sick. Instead of going home or feeling bad for me, she got very angry at me. All because what sleeping during the DC looks like to other dubs. Unreal!

So, what have you done to make it as bearable as possible?

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I didn't go. Well I did but only for 5 minutes.

It was my last assembly - not my own DC and away from the family. Knowing I'd be interrogated on the new publications when I returned home I thought f*** it - let's play the system. Checking into a hotel I went early to the first day, got a programme and left. Then spent the day at the beach/shops etc. I returned twice over the coming days at the end of the day to collect publications as evidence of my attendance.

It was a bit tricky walking towards/into the DC when the people were leaving, but I had my books under my arm and mobile phone to my ear as if I was doing something important. I knew it was dishonest but the fade was nearly complete and I didn't have anything left in the tank.

I truly pity anyone that still has to go. That army of people could do so much for their local community over those 3 wasted days.

MMXIV

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I generally only sat in for a couple of hours per day.

To be honest, it used to make me angry, but now it has no relevance. I may as well be sitting in on a Scientology seminar.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I have not attended in 3 years, the ability to text really helped the last one I attended. When I had little ones that made it bearable, walking around with them or leaving if they got "sick". When I was in college it helped to keep a few study cards and use that time to wrap my mind around big concepts or things I had to memorize. Now I guess I would just die if I had to go! NMKA

• sherah
    sherah

I'm going to be visiting dub family the week of their DC so I may go on Sunday to hear the Gen Talk and laugh at the drama. I'll also get the new pubs since i'm there.

My recipe for survival: mp3 player, novels, blackberry and sit in a high, isolated area to catch some zzz's.

• whatistruth
    whatistruth
    My recipe for survival: mp3 player, novels, blackberry and sit in a high, isolated area to catch some zzz'

This is a good idea but what if you have a jw zealot mate sitting next to you all 3 days? For those who have to go through this with someone who is a strict "believer".

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Why do you HAVE to go through this?

• yknot
    yknot

Hmmm many adult JWs sleep during the DC....

If you want to go 'hardcore' ........(not suggesting except as last resort)

Ipecac ($3.50 at Walgreens)...... induces vomitting and is a great reason to either leave or for not going in the first place.

• sherah
    sherah
    This is a good idea but what if you have a jw zealot mate sitting next to you all 3 days? For those who have to go through this with someone who is a strict "believer".

The mp3 would be good in your case because the program is broadcasted on FM radio. Tell the zealot that you are listening to the program, then turn on some music or even an audio book. Or you could tell the zealot that you are volunteering and go sit in the car, at the cafe or the hotel if it's in walking distance.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I used to people watch and look around the stadium at the interesting flags and scaffolding. It was so big and airy that it was so much better than a meeting in a small box. I loved the conventions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit