If the bible is god's handbook for man, why is it such gobbledegook?

by Aussie Oz 112 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Hi Tammy,

If the bible takes us 'so far' and we cannot know what parts are inspired and what parts are 'man inspired' i just can't except anything the book says as true. To have to pick the parts we 'hope' are truth or accurate and then attempt to get some meaning of them proves to me that the bible is not gods written word to mankind, spelling out his past present and future plans for mankind, something it claims to be. That makes the book a lie.

If god knows the hearts of everybody, even the bad people, then how can wanting something like the spirit possibly 'be not good' for us?

I see people not really believing that the bible is the divine inspired word of god, but reading the passages they like (Jesus parts) and base their life and hope on this, that even itself may well be myth and story like the other parts they reject as myth and story.

I could get the same hope from a passage in a Star Wars book and place my faith in that. Perhaps even going so far as to believe i have the force and am a Jedi.... Not making fun of you, but perhaps you can see what i mean?

Yes, i am past 'asking' god for anything. I did that for most of my life and for much of it was very unhappy. Happiness like i have never known has settled on me these days without him.

I know neither of us will convince the other of our point of veiw!

cheers

oz

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

If the bible is god's handbook for man, why is it such gobbledygook?

Because its an expression of man's natured ignorance of himself and the world for which he lives in.

Acknowledging when the words of the bible were written and how the ancient cultures necessitated a need for gods

as an explanation of the world we live in ( IE. lightening, thunder, earthquakes )

An interpersonal relationship developed with their gods to create a purposeful meaning for the god or gods.

Human ignorance within are own history is an indisputable fact which gives connecting relevance to the worship of gods/deities.

The Trueone

• garyneal
    garyneal

marked for my later two cents

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello Aussie Oz,

Yes, i am past 'asking' god for anything. I did that for most of my life and for much of it was very unhappy.

Fair enough.

Do you think that the "jehovah god" of the WT is one and the same as those other Christians love?

Blessings,

Stephen

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Yes Stephen i do.

The 'old testament' is loaded with examples of an angry malevolent demanding god. The formation of a new style of religion based on the unwanted messiah of the jewish nation did not show a change in his personality. The plan to destroy most of mankind at 'armageddon' is still there.

I see all religion that sprang from the seed of Abraham the same.

Judaism, Islam and christianity, all 3 either in past, present and unfolding history are responsable for most of the heinous ethnic cleansing and evil this world has ever seen. The fruits of this god and his so called word are clearly seen with open eyes.

This i also blame this fairly and squarely on 'god' for his being unwilling to lay down one simple set of instructions for mankind that could not be mis-used. The gobbledegook has a lot to answer for in my opinion.

oz

oz

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Do you think that the "jehovah god" of the WT is one and the same as those other Christians love?

Why do the Christians on this forum assume that the angry, bloodthirsty god of the bible is an invention of the WT? They didn't write the Old Testament, did they? Actually, I give them credit for accepting about god what other Christians conveniently choose to ignore, as misguided as it may be.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

keyser soze I share your sentiments.

Once we dismiss the bits of the bible that are inconvenient, how can we be sure Jesus ever lived or said the things the bible claims he did? We may as well throw the whole book away.

If it not the inspired word of god that it claims to be, then the bible writers have lied. The whole thing is suspect and is unacceptable as evidence. We are left with nothing.

Unless that is, Jesus talks to us personaly from beyond the grave. That's an unlikely achievement if he and his father between them have been unable to produce a book we can rely on.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The god of the ancient Israelites was so violent and murderous because thats how they told him to be.

It was their god so he was constructed to kill different civilizations who had other described gods of their own .

Many stories were told of how he would cleanse the earth of evil (Noah's flood ) or how he would persecute or

cause great calamities against people or nations that would cause destruction against his chosen people.

Armageddon is another story similar to previous stories in how YHWH will kill all who are not of his chosen flock.

In reality you could say the ancient Israelites were full of gobbledygook, but with a understandable reasons attached.

The fear of the great YHWH is still exploited by men today for the sake of wanted control and power, the WTS. as an example of such.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Aussie Oz Yes Stephen i do.

IMHO, the difference between my own Heavenly Father and the WT "jehovah god" as day and night.

Blessings,

Stephen

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Chalam Perhaps, in view of your closeness to this invisible father you should call him daddy?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit