If the bible is god's handbook for man, why is it such gobbledegook?

by Aussie Oz 112 Replies latest watchtower bible

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Terry...

you said: "Who of us is strong enough to just call "bullshit" and accept that their time, effort and minds have been totally wasted?"...

ummm...haven't you said this all along on this forum?...maybe even for years before "this forum" even?

...I believe that someone stronger than you constrains you...for good (or not) is ultimately up to you alone.

love michelle

• garyneal
    garyneal

I was going to add my two cents but it seems like it would not be all that useful to this discussion. Good topic by the way.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

terry, i am rapidly discarding my appreciation of the bible...and closing the gap on calling BS.

The loss of the original writings whether inspired by god or not, leading to human tampering and selection tell me that god did not even author the originals. For, if they were his and contained messages for mankind he did not bother to preserve them or keep it untainted for future generations.

Stephen, aside from the gospel which is not entirely agreed upon and the life of jesus which not all christians see as meaning the same...history is full of cathoilic and protestants murdering each other over doctrine and christ.

Men have been arguing over all the visions, allusions, prophecies and hallucinations no end. To say that stuff does not matter because of jesus surely is to say then that we can tear the gospels out of the bible and trash the rest.

I keep seeing christians disregarding the mess of the bible and focusing only on jesus and salvation offered via him. I have found no christian willing to firmly hold on to the rest of it, firmly teach its messy message. The only ones that do seem to be those born out of the millerites and even they can't agree on its message anyway.

oz

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I have found no christian willing to firmly hold on to the rest of it, firmly teach its messy message.

That's the noo lite doctrine for christians at work, Oz.

They explain OT stuff in the light of newer revelations in the NT stuff, not the other way around like the WT.

Cheers

Chris

• Fester
    Fester

The bible is only gobble-d-gook because religious institutions claim it to all be inspired of God.

If you read through it carefully, you can separate the wheat from the chaff and pick and choose which parts are loving, peaceful, humble and instructive, while other parts are just plain egotistic bullshit.

• Fester
    Fester

If however, after reading through it and still feeling that it's mostly chaff, there's nothing wrong with completely abandoning it and just thinking for yourself and living free without it....

True freedom from any bondage to anything or anyone is really amazing.

Sincerely,

Fester, a slave of Fester

• Terry
    Terry
    ummm...haven't you said this all along on this forum?...maybe even for years before "this forum" even?

Look at the post history on this forum. What hasn't been said over and over and over and over again? Endless chains of new people pass through newly damaged with the same "don't-know-what-hit-me" questions and puzzlements.

There is no final thought to be had.

As long as religion, superstition, credulous belief and blind faith operate in the world there will be battered victims.

On the other side of that pile of human suffering we have the "True Believers" who will defend proudly to the death every jot and tiddle of something which smells of human origins. Why? Comfort and superiority. Or, intellectual laziness.

• Terry
    Terry

Fester says: If you read through it carefully, you can separate the wheat from the chaff and pick and choose which parts are loving, peaceful, humble and instructive, while other parts are just plain egotistic bullshit.

Fester, this is what Martin Luther believed, preached, promulgated. What was the result? Instead of one "true" Catholic teaching we have thousands of denominations each being led by the Holy Spirit to disagree with their equally convinced brethern!

In short: Chaos!

The entire problem with the Bible is that people are only too willing to put whatever tasty spin on it that suits their fancy.

There is no "there" there.

The presupposition that NOBODY who is Christian is willing to examine is that there is an Absolute Truth contained in the Bible in the first place.

The facts demonstrate this is certainly a conceit.

There are writings based on stories constructed to appear to be ACTUAL quoted conversations between God and man and man with man.

Those literary constructs have led to a world of hurt when interpreted as real!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Oz,

I understand.

Get the basics right and the rest can fall into place.

On understanding everything in the bible, it ain't gonna happen in this lifetime. I need to quote a verse, apologies in advance but hopefully you won't have seen this version.

1 Corinthians 13:12 (Contemporary English Version)

12 Now all we can see of God

is like a cloudy picture

in a mirror.

Later we will see him

face to face.

We don't know everything,

but then we will,

just as God completely

understands us.

Blessings, Stephen
  • Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I feel its time for me comment no further on my thread...

I have said what i wanted to say, as have the defenders of the bible...

unfortunatly in my opinion the only logical answer is: it is 'gobbledegook' because it is not gods word.

all other answers are ''we dont know why; its meant to difficult or we dont have to believe all of it, man has corrupted some bits" '' We just have to believe''

thankyou all, feel free to keep it going if you will!

Oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit