Some Question(s) for Debator...

by AGuest 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• debator
    debator

Hi aguest

I get a headache from your proof texting.

1/ This scripture is about prayer not preaching work which both Jesus and his apostles did publically.

2/To disprove your reasoning this scripture I only have to show one instance of public prayer among a group of Christians. But are a few instead.

here the apostles praying for help as a groups.

Acts 1:14
    They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

Acts 1:24
    Then they prayed, "Lord, you know everyone's heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen

here Paul praying with fellow Christians

Acts 20:36
    When he had said this, he knelt down with all of them and prayed.

Jesus was talking about the Jews specifically and how they had made prayer a showy display of themselves.

3/ John 6 Is about Jesus talking about his ACTUAL death and sacrifice and not the lords evening meal. You are misapplying this scripture woefully and considering your knowledge I am surprised at this one being on your list.

4/ I refer to the above.

5/ I refer to the above 3/

6/ people have to decide for themselves on the 144,000, bride, firstfruits. You explanation means you have to ignore all references to the 3 I just mentioned in the bible.

7/ Witnesses believe in the two covenants from the bible abrahamic (earthly) and the New covenant (heavenly) both can attain hope of life.

Col 1:19,20 For all the fullness was pleased to dwell in him; and through him to reconcile all things to himself, by him, whether things on the earth, or things in the heavens,

Eph 1:9-12 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he purposed in him to an administration of the fullness of the times, to sum up all things in Christ, the things in the heavens, and the things on the earth, in him; in whom also we were assigned an inheritance, glory,....

8/ Michael is a whole subject in itself but I agree with them. I could post a whole list of the scriptures but I think most on here know the Michael debate.

9/ Many scholars throughout the last 1700 years have wondered over whether Judas was present during the meal trying to harmonise the 4 accounts. Why are you making this an issue with witnesses?

My motivations are my own on here but your questions when broken down aren't that complex.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Yea I'm not trying to be "on debator's side" as it were, since I clearly disagree with him on several issues, but I also recall that the christ "blessed" the loafs when feeding the crowds. Would that not have been a public prayer, and in front of several thousand? at the lords eveing meal he said a blessing twice, again in front of an admittily small group but a group none the less. The injunction you mentioned also carried the words that they prayed to be seen by men. So i take that to mean that the christ was not implying asking for God's blessing on a meal or a meeting was bad, but rather praying for the approval of men or to be seen and admired by men, making a showy display of prayer for the appreance of righousness sake.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest Elderlite... may you have peace! I was HOPING someone would ask that question! Giving THANKS to the Most Holy One of Israel... is ALWAYS appropriate. And that is what my Lord was doing. He was NOT praying."

Again, I bid you peace... and thank you for asking!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Shelby!..

Check your PM`s..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• dgp
    dgp

I know I am the worldly but I asked a question and would like an answer.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Hi aguest

Greetings, dear Debator... and, again, peace to you!

I get a headache from your proof texting.

My sincere apologies. I know I can be verbose but that is my style (as least, as it has been shown/taught to me by my Lord). I am sure you can handle it, though, as while I know I exceed some Bible writers, I don't even come close to others. And since you can handle them...

1/ This scripture is about prayer not preaching work which both Jesus and his apostles did publically.

The part of the verse that I referred here (related to your response) is about standing in the broadways... to be seen by men... which only my Lord did when he invited them to come to him.

2/To disprove your reasoning this scripture I only have to show one instance of public prayer among a group of Christians. But are a few instead. here the apostles praying for help as a groups.

Okay...

They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

They were "beseeching"... for their lives. They were terrified... and hiding. Which ANYONE would do under the circumstances. They, a small group, were in a PRIVATE place... and persisting in prayer because the "shepherd had been struck, the sheep scattered," and they didn't know what to do. They were not, however, generally and generically "praying" to God... at an open, public place/meeting... as WTBTS elders do, publicly, in front of the congregation. Their purpose was SPECIFIC and related to each and every one of them, directly and individually.

Then they prayed, "Lord, you know everyone's heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen

Here, they were, again, specific group... small... and IN PRIVATE... to learn how to fill Judas' place. They were not "praying" to God in an open, public place/meeting.

When he had said this, he knelt down with all of them and prayed.

My feelings about Paul's numerous deviations aside, you again have a situation where the gathering is PRIVATE... and very small. NOT public. There was only Paul... and the "older men" of the Ephesian congregation... and Paul was going to depart from them... indefinitely. Again, fear, uncertainly, concern. A "beseeching" on the part of the ENTIRE group, for a SPECIFIC purpose. And in private. Yada... yada... yada...

Jesus was talking about the Jews specifically and how they had made prayer a showy display of themselves.

Yes, I get that. But if you apply THAT to the Jews only, then shouldn't you do the same for everything else he said? And if that's true, how is it that those YOU follow apply it to, say, OTHER religions? I mean, I'm just saying

3/ John 6 Is about Jesus talking about his ACTUAL death and sacrifice and not the lords evening meal. You are misapplying this scripture woefully and considering your knowledge I am surprised at this one being on your list.

Woe... seriously?? What, then, pray tell me, please... did HE mean by "ANYONE may eat of it?" Eat of what? And what, pray tell, did he mean when he said, "UNLESS you eat of it... drink..."? And where did he mention any OTHER means to live forever... indeed, to be resurrected? I am all ears (erm, eyes...)...

6/ people have to decide for themselves on the 144,000, bride, firstfruits. You explanation means you have to ignore all references to the 3 I just mentioned in the bible.

What people? Decide what, specifically?

7/ Witnesses believe in the two covenants from the bible abrahamic (earthly) and the New covenant (heavenly) both can attain hope of life.

Hmmmm... and what did PAUL have to say about that, since he's the... ummm... "go to guy"? Let me share that with you, please:

" Therefore, as we have such a hope, we are using great freeness of speech,andnot doing as when Moses would put a veil upon his face, that the sons of Israel might not gaze intently at the end of that which was to be done away with. Buttheir mental powers were dulled. For to this present day the same veil remains unlifted at the reading of the old covenant, because it is done away with by means of Christ. In fact, down till today whenever Moses is read, a veil lies upon their hearts." 2 Corinthians 3:12-15

This latter statement is where, I fear, YOU are, dear Debator... because YOU "follow" those... who follow Moses... although HIS Law... was FULFILLED. It was nailed to the torture pole... and as a result replaced... with a surpassingly GREATER Law. Paul goes on:

But when there is a turning to CHRIST(and please, PLEASE... use your NWT Ref. Bible and refer to the footnote and appendices because this verse is NOT accurate as set out in the NWT text)... the veil is taken away.Now CHRIST (see above)... is the Spirit; and where the spirit of CHRIST is, there is freedom.And all of us, while wewith unveiled facesreflect like mirrors the glory ofCHRIST, are transformed into the same imagefrom glory to glory,exactly as done by CHRIST [the] Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:16-18

8/ Michael is a whole subject in itself but I agree with them. I could post a whole list of the scriptures but I think most on here know the Michael debate.

Of course you do. Please, do post your scriptures and show ME.

9/ Many scholars throughout the last 1700 years have wondered over whether Judas was present during the meal trying to harmonise the 4 accounts.

Why are you making this an issue with witnesses?

Apparently, they aren't among those who wonder (not that they group themselves with "scholars"... at least, not when such scholars don't agree with them; when they do, then it's another story entirely - such scholars are then considered "experts"...). In my case... the knew... because when a sister asked me about it and I told her LUKE said, which is corroborated by John... I was teaching "apostate" understandings. Now, admittedly, the "brothers" who "judged" said of this... and a great many others things, "Well, yes, the Bible DOES say that... but the Watchtower doesn't teach that." But isn't the Bible the "authority"? I asked. Well, apparently, not, as another one of those "brothers" followed up with, "You're 'running ahead of the things written!" "Written where" I asked.

His response was classic: "Written... in the Watchtower!"

You can see my dilemma. Or perhaps you can't...

My motivations are my own on here but your questions when broken down aren't that complex.

Using WTBTS reasoning, perhaps not. I don't believe, IMHO, that you've accurately answered a single one. But that is to be expected because, as you readily admit... that you (and they) still adhere to Moses... and the Old Covenant... your hearts are "veiled." Nothing I've shared would make any sense to you anyway. But... I had to try, because my Lord told me to. And I listen to HIM... a no other. And please, don't go that "you're talking to demons" route - as that would be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit which I confess I am hearing. Not that you folks care - you have absolutely NOT problem telling folks that demons can talk and communicate... even through dead wood and other inanimate objects like plastic... but cannot seem to bring yourselves to believe... and thus ALSO state... that so can the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies... and His Son and Christ, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, my Lord, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH.

Demons can walk and talk and hear and see... but the MOST High God... cannot and does not. I ask you: in that case, who REALLY has "all authority" over heaven... and earth?

I bid you peace... and ears to hear, dear one, when the Spirit and the Bride say to you... if they have not already and you ignored the call:

"Come! Take's life's water... the holy spirit of God... FREE!"

I am your servant... as I am servant to ALL those of the Household of God, Israel, and those who go with... and a slave of Christ,

SA

• moshe
    moshe

Nobody can make any coherent sense from the Bible, thousands of contradictory sects, thousands and thousands of followers killing each other over doctrinal differences all points to the obvious conclusion-- there is an much genuine holy inspiration in the Bible as there is in the Moby Dick novel.

• dgp
    dgp

All right, I get it.

• debator
    debator

Hi Dgp

Forgive my delayed reply I missed your question. Bible chonology was a specific part of prophecy that we and jews use. Certain events are predicted with reference to lengths of time "70 weeks, Times, time and half, 70 years, a day for a year" etc The Jews used Bible chronology to know when the messiah would happen hense why they were in expectation in Jesus's day. Bible chronology is an option that we can use when we have references to various lengths of time in Daniel and Revelation amogst other books around certaind events like the desolation of Jerusalem. As witnesses we do use Bible chronology but as with all prophecy it is very subjective depending on accuracy of evaluation so can be subject to error but that does not mean we have to avoid using it.

It is simply one of the bible tools available to us to be "ready" for Jesus's return etc.

• debator
    debator

Hi Aguest

You yourself from your own opinion qualify what is prayer, beseeching etc despite the Bibles use of the word pray or thanks to God. Ironically also by your opinion witnesses have made no sin our places would be consider private places of worship for us specifically, only the interested being there so we are not Publically making a display of our pray and in fact if you had been to a kingdom hall all prayers are specific to that day and besseching of Jehovah our father. And you have to qualify Jesus's (as eldererelle pointed out accurately) praying for a crowd as blessing to stop your words being a condemnation of Jesus. Despite the meaning of the words "giving thanks" being prayer.

Other Christian faiths do make a point of ritualised prayer which is on show with special clothes and chants but that is not witnesses.

The basic meaning of the word pray is to communicate with God there for any words directed to him are pray.

Jesus specifically "gave thanks" for the loaves to his father this is recognisably a pray of thanksgiving. Something the Jews and Christians knew to be an apsect or prayer that they did.

Philippians 4:6
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Colossians 1:3
    We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,

You simply redefine what you consider to be pray to your own opinion ignoring the context of it in bible usage.

Elderelle was spot on when she sees that Jesus in the verse you use is condemning doing pray for the sake of displaying yourself in front of men.

2/ When we are talking about john 6 and the lords evening meal we are talking about Jesus refering in both cases to his death and shedding blood for us the whole of mankind. you are trying to make them references to each other rather than his death and sacrifice.

It is Jesus's death and shed blood that saves us not our partaking of the remembrance meal.

Jesus himself says "Do this in remembrance of me" not "do this or else you will die!" but people tie it falsely with John 6 which is about our not being able to live unless we are partake of his actual death and sacrifice for us.

what we have is event A/ Jesus prediction in john 6 and event /B "lords evening meal" and both these are refering to Event /C Jesus actual death and sacrifice, not to each other.

3/ As for the old covenant! for the apostles and anointed the old covenant has been ended with but for those that are part of it still it remains Jesus shows this by his words for john the baptist who didn't live to be part of the new covenant and heavenly promise.

Matthew 11:11
    I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

4/ I haven't got time to go into a whole michael debate but I think you know it as well as I do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit