Is the Watchtower an Apocalyptic or doomsday religion?

by jwfacts 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

IMO the Watchtower has a strong emphasis on eschatology and is one of the most prominent of the modern apocalyptic religions. So I found it surprising to see the Watchtower never uses the word eschatology applied to itself and claims not to be an apocalyptic religion.

“CONTRARY to the accusations against them, Jehovah’s Witnesses are not an “apocalyptic sect” or a “doomsday cult.” They do, however, accept the Apocalypse, or book of Revelation, as part of the inspired Word of God. True, Revelation does contain judgment messages against the wicked. But in their public witnessing, God’s servants focus mainly on the wonderful hope set out in the Bible, including that in the Apocalypse, or Revelation. Thus, they do not add to or take anything away from the prophetic words found therein.”w99 12/1 p.9

Is it accurate to claim they are apocalyptic or doomsday focused? Is this an example of them avoiding the question, by focusing on the word cult and sect.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It's all a matter of perspective. To themselves, who are destined to survive the apocalypse into a paradise (after 1,000 years of post-apocalyptic cleanup work which most of the rank and file JWs avoid thinking about), they are a "paradise faith." To everyone else on planet earth, who is destined to be destroyed in the Armageddon phase of the apocalypse (never to exist in any form ever again), they are indeed a "doomsday cult" and an "apocalyptic sect."

Our own beliefs shape our reality. Even when those beliefs are demonstrably wrong, it takes more than just counter-evidence to overturn them because you're not just changing ideas but a person's entire reality.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Mad - I agree when you say the Watchtower is trying to focus on the fact they highlight paradise rather than Armageddon. However, that does not change that fundamental to their teachings is that destruction is soon to come. By definition this makes them Apocalyptic. All doomsday cults extra do teaching there is something better for their followers afterwards.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Absolutely. They ARE apocalyptic. They'll never believe it though, as an organization, but even getting through to individuals one by one and they are able to change their perspective, it's a successful discussion.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The WT and their followers never give a straight answer to a question they don't like.

One of their favoured tactics is to say a lot about closely related stuff without actually dealing with the problematic, or embarrasing, subject. You see that with our resident WT apologists on a daily basis.

My father is a wizz kid at this. Until recently he had seldom 'lost' an argument, but he seldom saw one through to it's logical conclusion either. He nearly always manages to derail the subject. When he finally gets nailed on a subject, he just starts chanting his mantras, "These people are spirit directed, These people are Bible scholars, etc..".

He would never describe the WT as a doomsday religion at the door, but as soon as he is on his own with me, he tells me Armageddon is nearly here now.

Cheers

Chris

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Mad - "getting through to individuals one by one and they are able to change their perspective, it's a successful discussion"

Good point. Asking a JW if they are a doomsday religion can start a very interesting discussion. Because you can then discuss how there have been many throughout history, opening their mind to the fact that their concepts are not unique.

Chris - "never give a straight answer to a question they don't like.... say a lot about closely related stuff "

That hits the nail on the head. It still surprises me that the Watchtower does not describe itself as eschatological. Maybe the word is just too long for a Watchtower.

• BANE
    BANE

So I suppose you guys think Jesus was apocalyptic too since he told his true followers multiple times to keep on the watch.... Or maybe he was a Doomsdayist?

GET A LIFE PEOPLE!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I suppose you guys think Jesus was apocalyptic too

If it walks like a duck ............

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Bang on Bane!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

lol Mrs Jones. That is just how I envisage Bane.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit