mentions of going to heaven in the Bible?

by AwSnap 67 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The Watchtower tells us that the great crowd or multitude of Rev. 7:9 is found on earth. But, when one shows them that the great crowd is in heaven in Rev. 19:1, 6-7, they would have us believe that there is another or different great crowd from the one on earth and that this is really speaking about angels. They point to Heb. 12:22 for support. Well, surely angels are there, but Heb. shows that Mount Zion, the heavenly city of God, includes not only angels but all who dwell there with Him, including the church of the firstborn or believers in general and the spirits of righteous men made perfect (pre-Chrisitan believers such as Abel in Heb. 11:4 and Noah in 11:7 and Abraham in 11:8, etc. )who are all distinguished from the angels. See Heb. 11:10,13-16; 13:14 and Php. 3:20.

• debator
    debator

Are we talking about the Bible here or just the greek scriptures /new testament?

If you read psalms, Isaiah etc You will see the Jews ALL believed in an earthly resurrection on the last day in fact martha mentions it to Jesus.

Psalm 37:11 (Amplified Bible)

11 But the meek [in the end] shall inherit the earth and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. (A)

John 11:24 (New International Version)

24 Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

When you say the lords prayer what do you think you are praying for when you ask for God's will to be done on earth as well as in heaven?

It's tempting to rewrite Jewish history with trinitarian spin but they did not believe in a heavenly resurrection but an earthly one this is historic fact.

Isaiah 26:19 (New International Version)

19 But your dead will live;
    their bodies will rise.
    You who dwell in the dust,
    wake up and shout for joy.
    Your dew is like the dew of the morning;
    the earth will give birth to her dead.

Where was Jesus resurrected as the firstborn from the dead? heaven or earth? earth!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Debator, if this is going to be a question of physical location- heaven or earth...that won't be necessary. Man's ultimate destiny, I believe, is earth...where New jerusalem will be, heaven being the presence of God. The org makes this as 2 different geographical places...making 2 classes (unsubstantiated Biblically) one of which will reside in a geographical location called heaven, ruling over another group in a geographical location called earth.

• The Finger
    The Finger

Debator,

If Martha had understood the resurrection surely Christ would have just said, Yes!

• tec
    tec

If Martha had understood the resurrection surely Christ would have just said, Yes!

Yes. I think so as well. Instead Jesus says, "I am the resurrection and the life."

Not saying anyone here is wrong or right about what they believe comes after death. Only that Jesus does seem to clarify that what Martha originally thought was actually something else.

Tammy

• debator
    debator

Hi Isaac

If you are going to use the oxymoron that earth is heaven and heaven is earth then we wilkl just have to disgree?

Hi tec and finger

Jesus was not correcting but clarifying that he is the resurrection and through him we get our resurrection as the messiah. He wasn't denying the resurrection.

My head always spins when people start saying their Inspired Jewish prophets that are in the hebrew scriptures taught lies from God apparently.

We have to find harmony amongst ALL of the bible teachings not try and get them to cancel each other out.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Only an oxymoron if you assume the JW doctrines. Look up the meaning of heaven- there are several meanings. What separates man from God? Sin. You may want to read Rev 21 and 22 and see who will reside with man and where New Jerusalem comes down from (and where to).

• The Finger
    The Finger

Debator,

maybe it was new light

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Isaac

Man's ultimate destiny, I believe, is earth...where New jerusalem will be, heaven being the presence of God.

Do you see New Jerusalem/Millenial Kingdom (1000 year reign) the same as the Eternal State? Many denominations separate the two.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

DD, yes...I do see them as SEPARATE. Sorry I left that hanging.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit