Dinner at the Proper Time

by beksbks 140 Replies latest members private

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Bluefish, baked in a sauce of sauteed (in olive oil) onions and lots of garlic, one can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, and calamata olives. A little butter added at the end makes the sauce really silky...Served over rice...

Swedish meatballs (my Swedish grandmother's recipe) The sauce is creamier than what most people expect, with some of the meatballs smashed and stirred in... she never served it with noodles... but with a baked potato with some of the sauce spooned over... then always a green veg and a yellow one... usually green beans and butternut squash. (the butternut squash has brown sugar and a little butter mixed in)

Baked haddock with ritz cracker crumbs mixed with butter spooned over... garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed spinich with mushrooms

Coffee

• beksbks
    beksbks

Mushroom Barley Pilaf sounds yummy! I love barley.

Ambersun, You will be more successful, if you take care and make your meals healthy and satisfying. I always lean toward light and healthy.

Ann, hehe I just can't get into the baked bean idea when it's this warm. I started my day with a baked bean discussion, my mother is making some for a pot luck this week. I'm having burgers tonight too!!! Mahi Mahi burgers. Yummy. Oh, I think I'm going to make cup cakes. White frosting with strawberries and blueberries on top. Lay them out like a flag But the cake is going to be chocolate! The Hershey's cocoa chocolate cake made with oil, is the best cake in the world. I dunno, I may just do strawberry shortcake, it's hard to beat and soooo summery.

Coffee! Mmmmmm Swedish meatballs........... What is Bluefish like? Trout?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Bluefish is very common in New England. My boyfriend's neighbor goes deep sea fishing pretty often, and brings it to us. It's mostly white meat, but with darker bits through it. Some people like the dark parts, I remove them. It's mild...slightly different texture than haddock but with a little more flavor.

Coffee

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Now that's made me really hungry

• CandleSurgeon
    CandleSurgeon

Try Goat meat. It's effing delicious!

I usually have a Goat leg cut up. The meet should be boiled till tender.

Then cook it slowly with onions, curry powder or whatever spices you particulalry like. I love curry goat.

If your adventurous and tired of having the same things over and over, I reccommend you try goat meat. I have had many friends that give me a shocked look when I say I love goat, but when they try it they have all loved it.

Thats my tip for a new and interesting meal. You can also grill it or broil it.

Also, if you want to add some flavor to your spagetti sauce. Just add in some fresh cut pimentos. My friend adore my spagettie sauce and my secret is pimentos That and I cook my sauce slowly for 1 and a half hours so all the flavors can blend and you can taste everything in ever bite!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Nice, cool, summer dish for me: Mango, Jicama and Chicken with thinly sliced red onions and spices. Had a bowl for lunch today.

-Aude.

• CandleSurgeon
    CandleSurgeon

Sounds delish Aude

• beksbks
    beksbks

Aude that does sound good!

Now Candle, about this goat. Is there anything else you could compare it to? Lamb?

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Tonight we had mashed potatoes (sssh don't tell anyone but I use salted butter, sour cream and heavy whipping cream too) and what my husband terms "Poor Man Steak" which is basically meat (we used ground deer) all kinds of spices and a couple tablespoons of olive oil vinegrette and bread crumbs...mix it all together, make into patties/balls and place in a baking dish. Cover with 1/3 turkey gravy and 2/3 brown gravy. Cover with foil and cook at about 400* until you think it can't cook anymore. I paired these two dishes with fried okra, because it was a meeting night and WE DON'T GO ANYMORE, so that deems celebration in and of itself, but usually we have a fresh green salad.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Tonight we had penne rigata - used ground sirloin for the meat and Ragu traditional sauce, a salad with lettuce, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, black olives, and pimentos, roma bread with butter. I have a great recipe for spaghetti sauce, but rarely make it. It has to cook for a long time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit