Dinner at the Proper Time

by beksbks 140 Replies latest members private

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was in Norfolk VA a few days ago and had dinner at one of those cook-your-own-steak steakhouses (with a baked potato bar). I never did that before so it was kind of fun.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Beks, here's a unique usage for your salad spinner:

http://www.neatorama.com/2010/06/07/rice-university-students-invented-salad-spinner-centrifuge-to-detect-anemia/

In the Beyond Traditional Borders program at Rice University, students collaborate to create ingenious alternatives to medical devices for use in Third World countries (that otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford conventional technologies). Their prototypes are sent to third world countries for real-life trials.

Over at NeatoBambino, my lovely wife Tiffany blogged about The Baby Bubbler, a portable breathing machine for babies with respiratory illnesses.

I, for one, am taken with the Salad Spinner Centrifuge that can be used to detect anemia:

A group of college students has turned a salad spinner into a rudimentary centrifuge that medical clinics in developing countries could use to manually separate blood without electricity. They built it for about $30—including the spinner—using plastic lids, cut-up combs, yogurt containers, and a hot-glue gun.

This summer Rice University sophomore Lila Kerr will take one to Ecuador and freshman Lauren Theis will take one to Swaziland. Another team member will take one to Malawi to field test the device, named the Sally Centrifuge. The students expect to continue work on it after their summer treks.

The centrifuge was designed as a project for a global health class. The students were asked to develop an inexpensive, portable tool that could diagnose anemia without access to electricity.

They found that a salad spinner met those criteria. When tiny capillary tubes that contain about 15 microliters of blood are spun in the device for 10 minutes, the blood separates into heavier red blood cells and lighter plasma. The hematocrit, or ratio of red blood cells to the total volume, measured with a gauge held up to the tube, can tell clinicians if a patient is anemic. That detail is critical for diagnosing malnutrition, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and malaria.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hehe my husband sent this to me the other day. I'm famous for my salad spinner. I've given them as gifts.

Tomorrow we are going to Shakespeare under the Redwoods. It's soooo cool. It's in a clearing in the woods, with massive Redwoods towering over you. The stage is built among and around the trunks. Anyway, you take your blanket and hopefully your little beach chairs, and get there early enough to get a good spot. I'm working on a picnic. Roast Beef or Rosemary Ham sammiches on sliced french bread. With garlic basil mayo, roasted red peppers, red leaf lettuce, provolone, sliced tomato and maybe pepperoncinis. I'm making the mayo with basil from my garden. Also, a sort of pasta salad with fresh green beans, chopped tomato, onion, garlic, olives, fresh herbs, and balsamic vinaigrette, not much pasta. Sliced peaches and fresh blueberries for dessert. A nice Viognier, white wine, not too tart.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

beks,

Sounds yumpcious!

• beksbks
    beksbks
    made another Thai dinner tonight. Ground turkey, basil/ginger/chili pepper sauce with coconut milk, mushrooms, whole green beans, sliced green bell pepper, broccoli and brocollini chopped, sliced tomatoes, mixed with Chinese noodles, and with some fresh basil and lemon thyme picked from my garden and chopped and added into the sauce.

Leo, when you say ground turkey, are you just cooking up crumbles like? And when you say sauce, are you thickening with anything? What kind of Chinese noodles? Like rice sticks, or the stuff that puffs up, or the crunchy ones?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Tonight: Chicken Piccata on a bed of Sauteed Spinach. (Cutting back on Carbs)

-Aude.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Now that I am preparing meals for my Dad as well as me, I'm really liking the fish Tilapia. It's soft, moist, flakey, mild-flavoured, and doesn't smell. I usually fry it up with a little toasted sesame oil, lemon pepper seasoning, and a little teriyaki sesame sauce. Sometimes I make whipped potatoes, other times it's boiled new potatoes (those little golden or red tidbits are oh so yummy, especially with a smidgen of butter!) and either a salad or some cooked veggies like broccoli and carrots.

When I cook veggies like the broccoli and carrots, I bring them to the boil, immediately remove them from the heat, and let stand about 20 to 30 minutes in the water in the pot. They remain firm but still soft enough for my Dad to eat. I don't like mushy veggies.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sounds like a plan, Heaven.

Syl

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Does anyone have a good refridgerator pickles recipe? I've been craving some!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Leo, when you say ground turkey, are you just cooking up crumbles like? And when you say sauce, are you thickening with anything? What kind of Chinese noodles? Like rice sticks, or the stuff that puffs up, or the crunchy ones?

It was ground turkey like that used in turkey burgers. It tastes better than beef in this dish imo. I crumble it up in the saucepan with some chicken broth.

I don't like a thickened sauce.....I add coconut milk until it has a consistency similar to curry. But the taste is primarily from ginger and fresh basil and a Thai paste I use (plus chili pepper paste).

Rice sticks work well, although I prefer those with peanutty sauce. I used wheat-based Wel-Pac Chinese noodles, they are kind of like mein or even spaghetti, not crunchy.

And I don't really follow a recipe here. I just experiment in the kitchen and find a combination that works and tastes good. I should tho write things down before I forget; as I've forgotten some good confections I've made in the past.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit