What good comes from joining a community like this for support/therapy?

by dances with smurfs 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Take what you need, ignore the rest.

Most of us find that we get more support - and certainly more *targetted* support - when we post.

There have been a few that use this forum as a sort of diary - keeping a journal.

The best way to get on with your life is to start making your life. If you dont' have a degree, start working on one. You will be kept busy and have opportunity to meet other people. Get a hobby. Get out more. Look to advance in your career.

Soon you will be so busy and filled with a feeling of accomplishment that you will no regret leaving/fading from the org.

And posting your progress and set-backs here will help not just you, but the people who read and post comments to your thread and also those who log on and just lurk.

Enjoy your new journey! Hopefully you will continue to post and you move along.

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Joining an online forum can be extremely helpful in beginning to sort out what you were involved in. You will discover:

• you aren't alone
    • others have felt and experienced similar things
    • others may have the words to describe things that you haven't quite begun to grasp.
    • you will get support for your experiences and feelings
    • you will discover more about the Watchtower Society than you ever dreamed of
    • you gain a sense of relief that you have left
    • if you still have family that are Witnesses you will get support for those tiomes when family issues make life very difficult for you
    • you will have the opportunity to learn to think critically and freely without the Watchtoiwer rules forbidding certain thoughts or actions
    • you will get encouragement to reach out for your dreams
    • you will have the opportunity to laugh at life - past, present and future
    • you will make friendships that will stay with you for many years to come

Some people need professional help. Others can do quite well on their own. But there are many who fall in between those two extremes and find an online forum a true life and mind-saver.

Stay as long as you need. Decide when it is time for you to go. We will miss you and welcome you if you drop by for a visit or need to come back for a new round of issues that have cropped up. You will always be welcome.

Recovery is your business. It is work and it needs to be done or else it will keep getting in the way of your happy life. It is definitely worth it.

• finding my way
    finding my way

Its nice to talk with people who get it! Some of our spouses and friends may try to support us but they really have no clue what it's like. It reminds me of whats normal and whats not. When I've had a bad experience with witness family members that makes me feel worthless, I like to be reminded that I'm normal, they are brainwashed. I can tell myself this all I want but having others agree with me makes a world of difference.

• JediMaster
    JediMaster

It's worked wonders for me so far.

Jedi Master

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    so only positivity so far! well thats good :)

I will cover some negatives for you.

... using it as a form of therapy or a support group type setting when struggling over the witnesses.

While it is a free group support place, you sometimes get what you pay for. There are some whackos and some cold comments. Being anonymous allows some to abuse their freeness of speech worse than an actual group of people. Otherwise, it is a group that understands and has been there.

I dont want to become obsessed or caught up for too long in this process because I really just want to live my life.

Different thoughts on that. Some of us have been here kind of long and need to get out into the sun. If you avoid that pitfall, you might not have to worry about that.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I've learned so much on here...about the Org, about the Bible, about the elders, about people, about myself...

Loz x

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Its good to know that your situation it not unique.Many have been there,and been wildly successful in getting out.And you wont melt the first time you make an antijehovah statement! Plus,there are a bunch of very cool people on this forum.You picked a good one.

• blondie
    blondie

You learn you're not alone and that what has happened to you is not a fluke, of your own causing.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I'd say ..... to not post your "personal experience" or "about me" post until you are good and ready to do so. Mine will come when Im out, not before. If you have nothing to lose or dont care who knows it's you, then go for it though ...

Otherwise it's the shared experience and feelings that help a lot to cement in your mind a roadmap to recovery.

Cheers

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

When this forum first opened, I joined under my own name. I had a lot of things to get straight in my head and a lot to get of my chest. The people I spoke with helped immensely and as time passed, managed to move on. I learned a great deal and and like to think that I helped others.

I hang around now as a figure of fun because this board is still an enjoyable outlet and a place to be entertained; less dangerous than the colosseum! I don't believe being here can replace friends you can meet face to face or professional therapy but it still has a lot to offer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit