The goodbye I got from a Witness "friend"

by Eiben Scrood 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yep, you been....

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Awful treatment for you Eiben S...how this person can imagine they're showing any Christian spirit at all defeats me...

Loz x

• Twitch
    Twitch

Sorry to hear of it.

When I left, I didn't even look back to whom I considered friends. They reciprocated in kind. A clean break can be a good thing,....

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wing Commander, GREAT quote!!!

I'd sent that, AND quotes from the WTBTS' own article, "Are The Jehovah's Witnesses a Cult?"

Contrast their comments, in effect...

Zid

• loosie
    loosie

LOL if it was the "truth" that he was in then your opinion wouldn't be a threat to him. A truth can stand up to any argument.

• dandingus
    dandingus

That sucks, Eiben. (love your name, by the way)

Did your friend know you weren't active before he accepted you? Did you try to convince your friend that the witnesses don't have the truth, or question any specific doctrine in any message to that individual? Or was it just sort of 'random' that he bashed you that way? Just wondering.

I know how you feel. I got a similar message last year from an old and very dear friend who is still a Witness. Depending how close you were, this kind of thing can really hurt. And it's so unjustified. At least it was in my case.

My friend was the one who contacted me, saying that she missed my friendship (we hadn't spoken for a while since before I left) and wanted to get back in touch. We had one or two email exchanges consisting mainly of small-talk. Then the conversation got turned into a whole argument trying to plead for my soul, complete with scare tactics and guilt trips. When it didn't work out as intended, I get a final email saying that I'm dangerous to her faith and that "to protect myself...I will not associate with you anymore". I personally never said ANYTHING about the organization to her, or made ANY comments about God, religion, doctrine, etc. The whole thing made me incredibly indignant.

I agree with lesterd, and in fact I've thought and said something similar about many witnesses I know, even when I was one myself:

they mouth the words but do not get the sense of what they are saying

Amazing...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think extreme reactions like this, or "she says I worship satan" might come from people who would like to remain your friend, but know that the org won't let them. So they go to extremes to prove to themselves they can't be friends, because you're just so bad.

Agreed. This dude has major dissonance between his Id and Superego and thus the reaction formation results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_formation

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

You know what they say: Shape up or ship out. Either improve one's performance (or behavior) or leave. Besides, you have lots of "e-friends" here.

• dgp
    dgp

Finally I agree with Alice. Yes, Eiben, you have lots of e-friends here, and we won't leave you just because you don't toe the line.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

If he wants to remain faithful to the faithful slave class, ask him why he's even on facebook.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit