Horus = Jesus ? I saw a tv show relating the similarities. What do you know?

by blondie 43 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God", on the other hand, was wonderful! Informative, thought provoking, respectful, funny at the right moments...

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

There was an old guy who had a series of books on Myths in History and did specials on public TV that also mentioned this years ago.

@Jwoods -

Are you thinking of Joseph Campbell?

• JWoods
    JWoods

@Jwoods -

Are you thinking of Joseph Campbell?

Yes, I think it was Joseph Campbell. I think his comparisons of the Jesus legend to other ancient mythical heroes was less sensationalized than the above chart, but IIRC he did mention Horus and other heroes as having similarity to Jesus.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Campbell's book Hero With A Thousand Faces is very informative; extensively documented.

The strength of his approach is to show that all hero myths share elements, some of them share details.

John Dominic Crossan also discusses some of the mythology to develop around Jesus, in Jesus A Revolutionary Biography.

The concepts that are for sure are the concepts of divine conception, which is really the same as saying god had sex with Mary, something christians detest in mythology; eating the god, Jesus, seen in the eucharist symbology; death and resurrection, then delivering the boon to country/nation/tribe.

That is a little simplistic, but accurate.

The Abrahamic faiths insist that the myth is reality; something eastern religions do not necessarily do.

I believe the process of mythologizing is not as direct as some have said; it is a long, subtle process that ends up giving weight to the myth.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Most of these parallels are bogus. As in: made up. Maher did not research any reputable sources about Horus.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Agreed, the direct Horus parallels Maher made are a non-historical attempt to antagonize christians just for the hell of it.

I do see some limited similarities, though, in certain ancient hero myths - as mentioned above from other sources.

• minimus
    minimus

he was also known as Horus Christ or Jesus Horus.

• undercover
    undercover
    ...the direct Horus parallels Maher made are a non-historical attempt to antagonize christians just for the hell of it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

• JWoods
    JWoods
    he was also known as Horus Christ or Jesus Horus.

I said so in his Horuscope.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God", on the other hand, was wonderful! Informative, thought provoking, respectful, funny at the right moments...

Agreed. Funny and poignant at the same time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit