Horus = Jesus ? I saw a tv show relating the similarities. What do you know?

by blondie 43 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Watching Religulous

http://www.paganizingfaithofyeshua.netfirms.com/comparsison_horus_jesus_chart.htm (more charts on site)

COMPARISON OF THE LIVES OF HORUS AND JESUS: COINCIDENCE?

Event Horus Jesus Of Nazareth
    Conception: By a virgin. By a virgin.
    Father: Only begotten son of the God Osiris. Only begotten son of Yehovah (in the form of the Holy Spirit).
    Mother: Meri. Miriam (a.k.a. Mary).
    Foster father: Seb, (Jo-Seph). Joseph.
    Foster father's ancestry: Of royal descent. Of royal descent.
    Birth location: In a cave. In a cave or stable.
    Annunciation: By an angel to Isis, his mother. By an angel to Miriam, his mother.
    Birth heralded by: The star Sirius, the morning star. An unidentified "star in the East."
    Birth date: Ancient Egyptians paraded a manger and child representing Horus through the streets at the time of the winter solstice (typically Dec. 22-25). Celebrated on DEC-25. The date was chosen to occur on the same date as the birth of Mithra, Dionysus and the Sol Invictus (unconquerable Sun), etc.
    Birth announcement: By angels. By angels.
    Birth witnesses: Shepherds. Shepherds.
    Later witnesses to birth: Three solar deities. Three wise men.
    Death threat during infancy: Herut tried to have Horus murdered. Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.
    Handling the threat: The God That tells Horus' mother "Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child." An angel tells Jesus' father to: "Arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt."
    Rite of passage ritual: Horus came of age with a special ritual, when his eye was restored. Taken by parents to the temple for what is today called a bar mitzvah ritual.
    Age at the ritual: 12 12
    Break in life history: No data between ages of 12 & 30. No data between ages of 12 & 30.
    Baptism location: In the river Eridanus. In the river Jordan.
    Age at baptism: 30. 30.
    Baptized by: Anup the Baptiser. John the Baptist.
    Subsequent fate of the baptiser: Beheaded. Beheaded.
    Temptation: Taken from the desert of Amenta up a high mountain by his arch-rival Sut. Sut (a.k.a. Set) was a precursor for the Hebrew Satan. Taken from the desert in Palestine up a high mountain by his arch-rival Satan.
    Result of temptation: Horus resists temptation. Jesus resists temptation.
    Supporters Twelve disciples. Twelve disciples.
    Activities: Walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, restored sight to the blind. He "stilled the sea by his power." Walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, restored sight to the blind. He ordered the sea with a "Peace, be still" command.
    Raising of the dead: Horus raised Osirus, his dead father, from the grave. Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave.
    Location where the resurrection miracle occurred: Anu, an Egyptian city where the rites of the death, burial and resurrection of Horus were enacted annually. Hebrews added their prefix for house ('beth") to "Anu" to produce "Beth-Anu" or the "House of Anu." Since "u" and "y" were interchangeable in antiquity, "Bethanu" became "Bethany," the location mentioned in John 11.
    Origin of Lazarus' name: Asar was an alternate name for Osirus, Horus' father, who Horus raised from the dead. He was referred to as "the Asar," as a sign of respect. Translated into Hebrew, this is "El-Asar." The Romans added the prefix "us" to indicate a male name, producing "Elasarus." Over time, the "E" was dropped and "s" became "z," producing "Lazarus." 10 As described by the author(s) of the Gospel of John.
    Transfigured: On a mountain. On a high mountain.
    Key address(es): Sermon on the Mount. Sermon on the Mount; Sermon on the Plain.
    Method of death By crucifixion. By crucifixion.
    Accompanied by: Two thieves. Two thieves.
    Burial In a tomb. In a tomb.
    Fate after death: Descended into Hell; resurrected after three days. Descended into Hell; resurrected after about 30 to 38 hours (Friday PM to presumably some time in Sunday AM) covering parts of three days.
    Resurrection announced by: Women. Women.
    Future: Reign for 1,000 years in the Millennium. Reign for 1,000 years in the Millennium.
  • JWoods
    JWoods

Don't know how accurate all that is (both sides of chart), but it is disturbingly similar. Especially to die-hard evangilists, I should think.

There was an old guy who had a series of books on Myths in History and did specials on public TV that also mentioned this years ago.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Wow....I've heard of these pagan characters before, but had no clue they were so similar to Jesus.

But hey, there's a really simple solution to clear up ALL of this confusion. Satan and his demons!! Let's face it, they probably knew what Jehovah had in mind (Saviour) so those pesky Demons created a whole bunch of ancient pagan religions and deitys that were earily similar to what the knew Jehovah was going to do in the near future. They are master manipulators, and they knew this would create confusion and doubt as the centuries flew by. It's all their fault, and if you don't pick the JW's out of the thousands of other religions on earth as the ONE TRUE RELIGION, then Jehovah God is going to eternally destroy you during either the Great Tribulation or Armaggeddon.

See how easy that was to clarify?

Seriously, I've heard this explanation given countless times while growing up as an answer to a variety of questions from the fossil record, origin of different religions, doubts, etc, etc.

To some degree if you believe in angels then you must believe in demons, and therefore it would be plausible that the demons would then create alternate or similar situations in order to create doubts by future generations of researchers.

One thing I personally have faith in is all of the eye-witness accounts to Jesus' miracles, actions, pentacost, etc, etc. I think it would have been hard to just up and fabricate this stuff at the time and not have a bunch of people calling BS besides the Jews. Just my opinion.

- Wing Commander

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

There are a lot of variations in the Horus myths, but the most avid cherry picker will have a hard time finding records of all of these.

Arthur Weigall was an Egyptologist and wrote a book about Pagansim in Christianity without noting most of these claims about Horus.

I'm with Leolaia on this one.

Cheers

Chris

• tec
    tec

http://www.kingdavid8.com/Copycat/JesusHorus.html

I would tell you to try and find an unbiased source about Horus that says all of these things (something on mythology that is not trying to prove or disprove a similarity between Jesus and Horus), and I do suggest that you look - but sometimes its easier just to take a look at what someone else has researched first.

There is no comparison between Jesus and these other 'god-men', except among the people who are quoting one another. Just my humble opinion, but I've researched and posted some of my findings on this board a few times now. Leo has as well, and others.

Tammy

• undercover
    undercover

While there may be some similarities between the two legends/myths, it's not conclusive that the Jesus story was taken from the Horus myth.

And because Maher may have struck out on the Horus thing, religious people use that as prove positive that they're still 100% right and that Bill Maher is 100% wrong, discounting, of course, that most everything else that he said was true.

Sometimes I wonder if he did it on purpose knowing that it would give his critics something to bitch about, thus giving the movie a little more free press. Any press is good press, when marketing this kind of documentary/movie.

• tec
    tec

I watched the movie too. I thought it was okay. I was expecting him to be completely rude and obnoxious (and he was in a couple spots) But I've known harder hitting points to be made against Christianity on this site :)

Undercover - I never understood how he could have used these comparisons when they can be pretty easily discredited. It makes him lose credibility as a researcher. If he actually bought into it, then he's kind of guilty of believing hype instead of looking for truth. And if he didn't buy into it and just used it to make his point appear correct, then how can he be trusted at all?

Tammy

• undercover
    undercover
    If he actually bought into it, then he's kind of guilty of believing hype instead of looking for truth.

He could actually be accused of having faith... the same kind of faith that he preaches against - faith in false information.

And if he didn't buy into it and just used it to make his point appear correct, then how can he be trusted at all?

Putting myself in his place, (to play Devil's Advocate for a moment) I'd say, "I'm just a comedian. Don't put your faith or beliefs in anything I say. That's no better than most Christians believing what their preacher tells them." But that's too easy a cop-out.

The craftier thing to say would be, "I did it to see how many Christians even knew what the hell I was talking about or knew who Horus was and if they could defend their belief better than I can link it to ancient Egyptian beliefs." But that's giving him too much credit.

He probably just blew that bit of research. He's great on intuition, not always so great on memory of quotes or situations.

• changeling
    changeling

Blondie: Check out Mythra as well...

As for Religulous: I didn't like it. I fell Maher missed a great opportunity to inform by using sarcasm and by presenting only extreme examples of religious thought. It's tone was insulting to believers and that is no way to make people think and actually learn something, which is what I wish he would have used the piece for.

He probably made the chasm between believers and un-believers even deeper. I hope people realize that not all atheists are like Bill Maher...

• changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit