Unbelievable!! Family member at my leasing office!

by IronHill 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scully
    Scully

DT

That's a fantastic letter!!

• wasblind
    wasblind

I'm glad i joined this site,

scully, writing a letter was a great idea.

DT, that letter is very well put together. iron hill should print and use this it covers everything.

this is a very helpful site

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

DT said:

I realise that Ms. XYZ belongs to an organization that instructs its members to socially ostracise and avoid people with my beliefs. She is free to do so, if she wishes, provided it doesn't interfere with my rights as a tenant. I have no quarrel if she wishes to avoid me outside of necessary interactions as part of her job. I dislike bringing this up, even though I have documentation to support this. I believe it may provide an explanation for her unusual behavior.

In any case, I am hopeful that this situation can be remedied in an efficient and professional manner.

YES!!!

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Sorry DT, but your ideas show poor judgement.

For one thing, you suggest that you will be recording phone calls:

Of course, I will continue to document any further inappropriate incidents, even by recording phone calls, if necessary.

Taping phone calls without consent from all parties involved is illegal. Enough said. Next point.

However, I'm not sure if the religious angle should be totally ignored. Isn't that the problem?

Not as far as the supervisor is concerned. Poor performance and behavior in the workplace can have many origins, but none of them should be the concern of a supervisor. What they should be concerned with is letting the out of line employee know that their behavior must change. Trying to connect the person's bad behavior to choices they have made in their personal life is complicated an unnecessary.

For example, you further suggest:

I realise that Ms. XYZ belongs to an organization that instructs its members to socially ostracise and avoid people with my beliefs.

This is an unproven accusation. People complain about religions they do not like all the time. How is this any different? Do you really want your complaint to be reduced to squabbles about religion? Making accusatory statements of this kind complicate what is otherwise a straight forward complaint letter.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Iron Hill,

All the answers here are good.

My feeling as to why this and other similar things happen with JWs at places of work: they simply do not understand the concept of BOUNDARIES and feel no need to respect them. These people just don't get it.

Witnesses seem to feel that anywhere they are is like being at the "Hall", regardless of whether that place is somebody ELSE'S premises such as a secular employer and they carry on the dynamic of the religion wherever they go. They need to have the point driven home that their shunning routine is something they can do in a shopping mall but it cannot and must not interfere with a secular employer's business!! If many employers knew that JWs are a liability like this they would be reluctant to hire them. This reason alone makes them a problem. But, it gets worse.

They have no regard for an employer's confidentiality and will blab things that should not be repeated. In many cases, they are irresponsible and do not care if they get fired and they will leave a disaster in their wake without a second thought.

In my opinion, many JWs should be self employed and should not inflict themselves on a 'worldly' employer.

• sherah
    sherah

I have to ride with Drew on omiting the religious angle. Let the offender explain to the manager the reason for the bad behavior. If she is bold enough to tell her manager that she is rude for religious differences, this could have bad consequences for her.

Something similiar happened on my job, loyal dubbie behaving badly toward a DF'd person. The DF'd woman complained to HR. The dubbie tried to justify her behavior, it didn't go over well for her. HR reprimanded her for religious discrimination, told her it would not be tolerated on the job. No business wants to deal with discrimination of any kind.

Put the cousin in the position of having to explain why JW-style shunning is permissible on the job and see how far she gets.

• DT
    DT

"Sorry DT, but your ideas show poor judgement.

For one thing, you suggest that you will be recording phone calls:

Of course, I will continue to document any further inappropriate incidents, even by recording phone calls, if necessary.

Taping phone calls without consent from all parties involved is illegal. Enough said. Next point."

Actually, the laws vary by state. Some states require consent from all parties. Many only require consent from one party. Of course, I wouldn't recommend doing this where it is illegal. However, a person could still insist on recording a call if he feels that this is necessary to protect his rights. The other party would just have a choice on whether to give consent. In this case, if it got bad enough, Ironhill could refuse to discuss things with that person unless the discussion was taped. If she refused, Ironhill could insist on dealing with someone else. I mentioned it as a possibility because it indicates that there could be hard evidence of the rudeness if something isn't done. It could demonstrate the seriousness of the situation even if the calls aren't taped.

"Poor performance and behavior in the workplace can have many origins, but none of them should be the concern of a supervisor. What they should be concerned with is letting the out of line employee know that their behavior must change. Trying to connect the person's bad behavior to choices they have made in their personal life is complicated an unnecessary."

I disagree that the origins of the bad behavior shouldn't be relevent to the supervisor. An accusation of rudeness doesn't mean much. It could just be the result of a bad day or being busy or could be exaggerated by the person complaining. If, however, it is intentional and based on disagreements with the tenant's beliefs, then it suddenly becomes a very serious situation. If this rudeness is accompanied by inequitable treatment, then it could also be illegal.

"For example, you further suggest:

I realise that Ms. XYZ belongs to an organization that instructs its members to socially ostracise and avoid people with my beliefs.

This is an unproven accusation. People complain about religions they do not like all the time. How is this any different? Do you really want your complaint to be reduced to squabbles about religion? Making accusatory statements of this kind complicate what is otherwise a straight forward complaint letter."

I think this could easily be proven by just quoting from Watchtower literature. There are many statements that "apostates" should be shunned, even hated.

I agree that mentioning the religious angle can complicate things. It may be something that Ironwill would wish to avoid. On the other hand, a simple complaint about rudeness might be just denied and not taken seriously. I think the more serious matter is the refusing to do some kinds of business, unless it is with the children. This is a form of discrimination. I think a good case can be made that it is motivated by religion.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Ironhill,

I've been working in multi-family real estate since 1984. Managment gets all kinds of bitch letters all the time. Long winded ones full of personal informatiion frequently get round filed. Keep it short and sweet, if you can send it the managment office not the leasing office.

Something on the order of:

"twice xyz in my leasing office has treated me rudely on the phone. on dd/mm/yy and again on dd/mm/yy. both times I was requesting assistance regarding the lease of my home at (name of project). I do not believe I said or did anything to antagonize xyz or otherwise promote such a response to simple requests. Please look into this matter. I would appreciate a response indicating that the matter has been handled in an appropriate manner."

If you send it to some one higher up the food chain, she can't round file it. And a simple direct approach with no frills gets a lot more attention.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

in real estate....... by law you cannot be discriminated against based on sex, race, nationality, creed or RELIGION. i was speaking with a client who happened to be jewish. she wanted me to find her homes near other jews and temples. i told her that i couldnt show her houses based upon the race or relgion or nationality of her neighbors because that could be deemed as descrimination. but i did tell her i could send her some statistic websites and then she could narrow down where she wanted to be by town or neighborhood and then i could find her what she was looking for from there.

so if your cousin is descriminating against you based upon your relgion or her relgion and she is in real estate.......... she is SCREWED.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit