Standing Room Only at Tulsa District Convention

by darthfader 41 Replies latest jw friends

• darthfader
    darthfader

My Parents were to attend the DC in Tulsa, when they arrived, there was no parking and no seats available. Is this because there are more people in the area or fewer locations and times?

Any Ideas?

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

It certainly must be all the peope there to hear the GOOD NEWS!!!! LOL

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

Darth,

I know they sent some from my area (Wichita) down to tulsa this year. Have been there a few times in the past and it isnt the biggest arena. Also the parking is pretty bad anyway even when they were more like 2/3 rds capacity. Sounds like to me that they combined some circuits this year, or there is alot of ones jumping districts to attend the one of their choice. I believe there is another one there the weekend of the fourth.

Of course those who were there.. are going to say it was an overwhelming response to the good news and new growth, instead of assignment problems.

• asilentone
    asilentone

That means they are not organized.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Bible Prophecy Fulfilled: "The small one will become a mighty nation..he will speed it up in it's own time"

LOL

-mentallyfree31-

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Tulsa is probably more interesting than some other locations; happens all the time as the DC = 95% Vacation + 5% Spiritual. Vacation will trump any spiritual need.

• sir82
    sir82

Could be poor planning.

Could be that the DC in Tulsa is much closer and/or more convenient for a large number of people assigned to another DC, and many decided to "crash" there.

One thing I can virtually guarantee is that it is NOT the result of the uber-silly "special invitation campaign" in which congregations pass out thousands of invitations to DCs as part of their door to door work.

• cantleave
    cantleave

In the UK Plymouth was always popular being in a tourist location, and this resulted in over crowding. The branch clamped down on attending the convention to which you were assigned.

• yknot
    yknot

Last year there were no DCs in OK.....(pissed people off having to drive)

So I know some JWs who planned 'crashed' because it was closer than their scheduled DC.

I know a few JWs who didn't attend last year but planned to this year to 'show the WTS' the importance of a OK DC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the WTS overbooked either in order to make it look like an abundance or over fears of low turnout.

• tiki
    tiki

Sometimes they can't rent arenas due to cost or local politics...I know many many years ago the civic center in Portland Maine put the kibosh on them....and those people have to travel down to Massachusetts. And of course most of them don't have decent jobs to be able to afford the weekend. I guess a free clean-up job of the premises doesn't always fly....so glad those days are history for me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit