Standing Room Only at Tulsa District Convention

by darthfader 41 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It also depends if the location is sheltered from the sun. If it is then it will explain why people traveled to go there rather than someplace else. I know what a miserable nightmare it was to attend a summer convention in an open stadium with no shelter from the sun. I would never do that now even if I was active in the religion! I would travel to one that is 'indoors' or else I would not attend at all.

Thankfully, those days are over.

• Scully
    Scully

... in the ladies' washrooms, as usual.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

I remember the days when saving seats was a real issue because more attended than now. I'm sure this experience was deja vu for many older jws.

Still an issue and brought up every year in a part from the KM. They get specific now that ONLY those traveling with you in your car. I believe even if you have family you are not "supposed" to save seats if they are not traveling with you. I never listen to them and will save seats for friends with small children. I feel bad for those families those kids have meltdowns and worrying about seats is one less thing for them to even stress about. My husband has to be there so early (6.30 am) to attend to the convention so he always saves seats for us.

Also, they poo poo ones who go out to grab their lunch. I always scratch my head on that one. Who in the heck cares?

• watson
  • blondie
    blondie

CuriousB, I have been out 8 years, but in my area it was no where near as bad as in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. People still run at 8 am to save seats and find that the attendants inside have already grabbed up the primo seats and see the "gifts in men" in the skyboxes and special areas. But it was possible to get a seat not like the olden days when you could show up before the doors opened and then get in and find a sea of magazines on chairs, already all saved by workers inside for their families, friends, etc. I learned just to take up any magazines without personal belongings, and sit there. I can remember battles from the rank and file with the attendants saying a seat was saved 1 hour into the program but with no one sitting there even at the end of the session.

After all, if no one sees them or knows who they are if they do, it is open season.

God has left the land and he is not seeing.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

At least during our conventions....I know that no brothers who are already inside can save seats until 8 am. Yes it is sad to see people running, I always hated that and refused to follow suit. "IF" brothers see seats saved prior to the doors opnening they pick up the items.

I have been around as a kid from the 70's until now and have seen changes but I still hate trying to be told what to do for stupid things.

• undercover
    undercover

If you go into a restaurant that seats 250 people and there are 100 people dining, the place looks empty and you tend to wonder if the place is any good, if they can't fill the place.

But if you go into a restaurant that seats 90 people and there are 10 people in line waiting to be seated, then you think, "hey this place must be pretty good...look at the people waiting to get in".

From what I remember people talking about at the last few years of conventions is that there was ample room for everyone. Which on one level is fine. Plenty of parking, plenty of seats. No need to rush to save seats, no need to worry about parking. But OTOH, if it's planned so well that convention halls and coliseums appeared less than capacity it could send the subliminal message that there must be a reason why the WTS can't fill this place anymore. So, lesson learned. Create the illusion of a "sell-out". Create that sense of needing to get there early. Better to have people storming to save seats than to aimlessly wander in a couple hours late (if at all).

Just a thought...

• sacolton
    sacolton

I recall one year I had a fractured ankle and was on crutches with a "walking boot". Against my better judgement, I went to the DC that was two hours from home. I get there and made my way to the bottom row chairs (can't handle stairs with crutches) - only to find them "saved" by magazine laid over the chairs and noone would offer me a chair in my condition. People ran past me and grabbed any remaining chairs. I was furious! I knew right then there was no brotherly love in this so-called religion.

• sacolton
    sacolton

On another note ...

Is it true they are starting to strong-arm people to sit with their assigned congregations? We always sat with friends and family from other congregations (any place that had enough room), but the latest news is they want all members to sit in the same area with their congregation (I guess to make sure "Brother Noshow" was present all three days). I can't imagine having assigned seating.

• blondie
    blondie

It is a fairly new development (the last 20 years or so) where the people inside could not save seats before 8 a.m. But remember the attendants and other workers are inside the building and can quickly save seats, faster than people outside the building.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit