Atheists - how do you feel about magic / demonism?

by EndofMysteries 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Spent a winter in the wilds of the gulf of Mexico in an old house.I started noticing an image of an old well dressed black man in the house.He'd sit there and watch me read.I could draw the pattern on his suit.I am a total nonbeliever,so I didnt say anything.My boyfriend mom,a total athiest,and intellectual,came to visit.In the middle of the first night we heard her yelling.She thought we were playing a trick on her.She saw him.She STILL thinks we played a trick on her.When we moved out,the realtor,a woman,asked me if Id had anything odd happen.So,I told her.She smiled and said that only women have seen this "image" and its always the same.I dont know what to make of it.Maybe we just dont know everything.Im still a nonbeliever tho.But am willing to admit that anything is possible.Sure 'nuff,USA elected a Chimp for not 1 but 2 terms as president!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

This kind of question always intrigues me. Are believers in this trash trying to work out why atheists are not afraid?

If you were to ask if the "manitou" - a native american spirit, or a japanese animistic spirit or some hindu being flying through the sky had any effect on you, most people would just yawn and shrug.

The propaganda of centuries in Europe, and the influence of the Borg have produced a whole crop of people who are genuinely terrified at these now westernised ideas.

Ask how an atheist feels about Santa, the toothfairy, or tinkerbelle. or for that matter an invisible sky fairy that reads your thoughts and sends she-bears to kill cheeky children by the dozens.

Ask what a true christian thinks of Santa, the toothfairy, or Tinkerbelle, or for that matter the invisible sky God. (maybe Zeus, Pan, Venus or Phoebus Apollo) All of whom killed somebody somewhere at some time for doing something they disapproved of.

Still feel frightened??

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Does anybody remember that Science fiction story (I think by Robert Heinlein) Where a couple break down in the middle of nowhere, and they walk to a house where they are kindly treated, and get into a deep discussion.

The householder arranges a pick up truck and gives them dinner.

It is only at the end as the husband sees the setting sun glinting red into his hosts eyes that he realises he has had dinner with the Devil.. Who was a nice guy.

Aqua - where was that old house - maybe we could arrange an apostafest there and celebrate with the old guy.

HB

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

HB, wasn't that Job: A Comedy of Justice?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Primate -

I cant even remember the title as I read it nearly 40 years ago. if it is put me onto it. I'd love to read it again!!

HB

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You're right Dave. I just looked it up. Sounds like a cool story.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

This is interesting. I asked the exact same question sometime back.

Atheists and the Occult

Occultism is the study of occult or hidden wisdom. To the occultist it is the study of "Truth", a deeper truth that exists beneath the surface: 'The truth is always hidden in plain sight'. It can involve such subjects as magic (alternatively spelled and defined as magick), alchemy, extra-sensory perception, astrology, spiritualism and numerology. There is often a strong religious element to these studies and beliefs, and many occultists profess adherence to religions such as Gnosticism, Hermeticism, Luciferianism, Thelema, and Neopaganism.

I rarely hear atheists talk about the occult. I have a family member that’s agnostic. He told me he didn’t like occult paraphernalia.

The question is what do atheists think about the occult? For example, would you buy your children a Harry Potter gift set complete with an Ouija board, tarot cards, runes, a crystal ball, a miniature alchemist laboratory and books on witchcraft and divination?

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Interesting discussion on that forum. Looks like a pretty diverse crowd.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Alice I think your question could be asked of any parent who buys their kids fantasy role play toys and games!

Many parents buy their kids copies of Hans Anderson's Fairy Tales, as well as the collection by the Brothers Grimm, not to mention the Harry Potter books.

They are just STORIES ( albeit bloodthirsty and full of sexual innuendo)

"Aschenputtel" (Cinderella) is based on an Old German word for "pussy" (I dont mean feline) it literally means pudenda - hence "The Tale of Sooty Pussy". A young girl invokes the dead spirit of her mother to inflict evil on the stepmother and sisters.

[Interesting aside - the slippers are made of squirrel fur in the original showing its ancient origin. "Vair" is Squirrel fur "verre" is glass. Both pronounced the same in French - the English version comes from there.]

At the end the mother is impaled with her eyes sewn open so that the crows peck them out. The daughters are rolled downhill into the river inside barrels lined with 6 inch spikes so the waters ran red with their blood.

Gosh! "Its Mommy and Apple Pie" just like the Bible!!

"Rumpelstiltskin" is a tale entitled after two German words: "stiltskin" (foreskin) and "rumpel" (wrinkly) - hence "The Tale of Wrinkly Cock"

Normal children (unlike Witless kids) know the difference between REALITY and FANTASY.

Most atheist parents would no more be worried about toy Harry Potter sets than Star Wars sets or outfits for Spiderman, Wonderwoman or Malibu Barbie ( where a little girl ( or boy - I aint sexist) gets to really believe she/he will get Ken's mansion car pony and yaught after the divorce - depending on State Law.)

HB

• Twitch
    Twitch

Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit