"Inspired by Muhammad" Campaign

by leavingwt 61 Replies latest social current

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

it is up to US to be critical and the NT tells us that 'Test all that you are taught".

PSacto...I must ask, and I am not trying to be rude, but what do you know about Islam? Before writing your comment, did you perform even a Google search of personal responsibility in Islam? Or did you just assume the Bible advises it but Islam does not?

Even if the religious judge advises you about worldly affairs, first consult your heart. (hadith).

In addition, if you are interested, you might want to research the modern rise in ijtihad.

• B-Rock
  • B-Rock
  • B-Rock
  • Quandry
    Quandry

Shoudn't that unveiled woman be beaten?

Perhaps her father should take her to the public square and slit her throat like some do in Muslim countries for dishonoring the family.

Why do the women have to suffer under hot black burqas in the summer and men have short sleeves?

Under the Taliban, women can't work or be educated. Some old widows have to starve to death.

In Britain, Muslims were carrying signs that said they wanted the English people to die...

What do you think will happen when there are many more Muslims in Europe and in the US? It is frightening to contemplate.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Thank you for your pictures B-rock. It provides a great teaching moment regarding religious bigotry. Take for example your picture of the "child brides."

That picture was taken by Tim Marshall, an American, who attended the event. It was a day for little girls in Gaza to play dress-up. The reporter was distraught at the misinformation and Islamaphobia that erupted as a result of the photograph. Here is an excerpt from what he wrote:

http://blogs.news.sky.com/foreignmatters/Post:dcc9d723-8046-4857-b618-5c1135ba6417

"It never struck me for a moment that the little girls might later be described in the bloggersphere as the brides! How naive I am.

Dozens, and I mean dozens, of websites took the video of the event and wrote lurid stories about Hamas mass paedophilia with headlines about '450 child brides', and endless copy about how disgusting this was, how it showed how depraved Islam is, et al, ad infinitum. Site after site jumped on the story, linking from one totally wrong load of rubbish to the next . I'll give credit to Tundra Tabloids who at least took down the video, but most sites just ploughed on regardless.

I spent a few hours visiting websites and leaving comments where I could. To little avail. Instead I received a steady stream of vitriol. The best response was on a site run by a Debbie Schlussel . The guy who posted it said he wasn't interested in the detail. The detail being the fact that the girls weren't the brides."

Sufi poets especially promote working on our inner "spaciousness" akin to the Bible's "widening out." I appreciate this quote from Jamal Rahman in Out of Darkness, Into Light, "It is a well-known fact that in any religion we focus on some scriptural verses but not others, and the way we interpret them is a function of our intention and our personal evolution. The spaciousness with which we regard our fellow beings and their beliefs is a reflection of our inner spaciousness." Then he quotes the Quran, "O humankind! We created you out of male and female and made you into nations and tribes that you might come to know one another." (40:13). He continues on to comment that the operative point of the verse is to focus on getting to know one another on a "personal basis, especially those with whom we have diffferences." (p. 65).

"The idea is simple, but its implementation requires the exertion [jihad] of our entire being."

• Quandry
    Quandry

Was the woman in the photo with the gun to her head and the man with the gun playing "dress up" too?

• Quandry
    Quandry

On 9/11, was that just for a nice day, too? Well, I guess we'd have to say Muslims did have a nice day......

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Nope. It is an example of fundamentalism in action. Like some on this board, those men with the guns are not spacious inside.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Remember the "modern" Muslim woman in NY who was murdered by her very progressive husband because she filed for a divorce?

Muslim TV mogul Muzzammil Hassan's alleged beheading of wife, Aasiya Hassan, may be 'honor killing'

BY FRED O. WILLIAMS
    THE BUFFALO NEWS

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 10:13 AM

Muzzammil Hassan, CEO of Bridges TV, is accused of murdering and beheading his wife, Aasiya. Handout Muzzammil Hassan, CEO of Bridges TV, is accused of murdering and beheading his wife, Aasiya.
    RELATED NEWS

The gruesome death of Orchard Parkresident Aasiya Zubair Hassan — who was found decapitated — and the arrest of her estranged husband are drawing widespread attention, as speculation roils about the role that the couple’s religion may have played.

Muzzammil Hassan, 44, was arrested Thursday and charged with second- degree murder after telling police his wife was dead at the office of their television station in the Village of Orchard Park.

While Muslim leaders have urged against applying cultural stereotypes to the crime, advocates for women linked the killing to attitudes in Muslim societies.

“This was apparently a terroristic version of honor killing, a murder rooted in cultural notions about women’s subordination to men,” said Marcia Pappas, New York Statepresident of the National Organization for Women.

She decried the scant national media attention paid to the story, which broke the same day as the commuter plane crash that killed 50 people in Clarence.

While domestic violence affects all cultures, Muslim women find it harder to break the silence about it because of a stigma, she said.

“Too many Muslim men are using their religious beliefs to justify violence against women,” she said.

After episodes of domestic violence, Aasiya Hassan, 37, filed for divorce Feb. 6 and obtained an order of protection barring her husband from their Orchard Park home, her lawyer, Corey Hogan, said.

She and her husband both worked at Bridges TV, a satellite- distributed news and opinion channel. They launched the station in 2004 in an effort to counter images of Muslim violence and extremism.

Nadia Shahram, a matrimonial lawyer in Williamsville, said that some Muslim men consider divorce a dishonor on their family.

A teacher of family law and Islam at the University at Buffalo Law School, Shahram said that “fanatical” Muslims believe “honor killing” is justified for bringing dishonor on a family.

While it has not been determined whether Aasiya Hassan’s death had anything to do with fanatical beliefs, the community should address the attitudes that make divorce particularly difficult for many Muslim families, Shahram said.

“I have not had one [case] where the husband wanted to settle outside of the court system,” she said.

In some interpretations, the Quran allows husbands to punish “disobedient” women, Shahram said, adding that this is a minority view.

An open community forum on the issue is scheduled from 3 to 6 p. m. Sunday at the UB Law School’s Moot Court on the North Campus in Amherst, she said. Imam Fajri Ansari, the leader of a Buffalo mosque, and other experts on Islam are scheduled to attend, she said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/02/17/2009-02-17_muslim_tv_mogul_muzzammil_hassans_allege.html#ixzz0riSZS65H

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit