"Inspired by Muhammad" Campaign

by leavingwt 61 Replies latest social current

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Maybe it would be a little more believable if they would stop rioting in London and spitting on returning British soldiers -

Suicide bombings and other assorted stupidities too.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Now, King David may have liked his women, but there is absolutely no indication that he was a pedophile.

Syl

Sorry Syl...I think that depends on how one defines a pedophile. I was one of those studious JWs that not only studied the assigned material but was constantly researching my own. I used chronology to establish that David was in his early 50s when he "sinned" (raped) Bathsheba. Threre was a Watchtower study article about 5 years ago that admitted his age. I remember it distinctly because it had a large picture of his at the front of the article that accurately reflected his age. I thought it interesting that they did not put a corresponding age-accurate picture of Bathsheba. :)

Bathsheba was a newly married woman (less than a year). During that time, girls were married when they started menstruating, meaning she was probably 13-14 years old.

So...David in his 50s...Bathsheba raped in her early teens... Now, with all that 'said,' I don't consider David a true pedophile, because that was the common custom them. In like manner, I don't consider Muhammed a true pedophile because he married a young teenager. ...NO NEED for someone to post that Aisha was about 8 when they 'married.' It is well documented that the marriage was not consumated until she was of the appropriate age.

As for the issues in the Bible not being relevant to a discussion about Muslims...I disagree with that too. There is plenty of deviancy in Christian and Muslims writings, and there is plenty in both holy books to offend our present-day sensibilities.

Logic demands that if one is going to dismiss Islam based upon those deficiencies, then one must dismiss Christianity based upon those same deficiencies. Indeed, that is why there is a growing number of agnostics/athiests. :)

• GromitSK
    GromitSK
    What they are basically saying is that Muhammed was NOT ALL bad and neither is Islam

Well quite. "Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Womanly intuition.

Syl

You know...my womanly intuition always led me to believe there was a little something more there than just the platonic stuff...:) In fact, it sent my gaydar into overdrive!!! ;)

...no way of knowing for sure of course...just ruminations...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The issue is when those deficiencies are NOT views as such.

There is no doubt that the OT has some seriously f-ed up crap in there attributed to God or at least "acceptable" to God, but there are also warning that what some scribes wrote was not correct and that thinsg were written to mislead the people and/or place a heavy burden on them ie: control over them.

I am not saying that the Bible "polices" itself, for it doesn't do that, it is up to US to be critical and the NT tells us that 'Test all that you are taught".

• snowbird
    snowbird

Interesting stuff, Justitia.

1 Kings 1:15 -16 Bathsheba went at once to the king in his palace bedroom. He was so old! Abishag was at his side making him comfortable. As Bathsheba bowed low, honoring the king, he said, "What do you want?" MSG

Hmmm ...

Oops! I'm doing it again!

Sorry, LWT.

Syl

• wasblind
    wasblind

That's how i got caught up in the JW'S, FROM THEIR FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!!!

• Mary
    Mary
    I believe in
    having sex with children
    so did Mohammed.

You mean...like King David and other good Bible characters?
    I believe in
    stoning people for adultery
    so did Mohammed.

You mean like the Israelites...right?
    I believe in
    exterminating jews
    so did Mohammed.

You mean like the Jews tried to exterminate the Canaanites...right?

Yes...the Christian holy book is soooooooooo much better...

The difference Justita is that Islam is still practicing this crap.

Leavingwt said: Turkey's women are the most liberated in the Muslim world. This was achieved not through Islamic reformation but through secularisation established by the founder of the modern Turkish republic Kemal Ataturk. Kemal was the product of secular education and had always admired Western culture. He pursued a program of westernisation that affected all aspects of Turkish life - women were granted the vote and veiling was prohibited. If the Turkish system were to collapse and replaced by an Islamic theocracy we can be certain that women's progress will be reversed and women will be at the mercy of the mullahs. In countries where there has been a raise in fundamentalism and reversal to strict religious law such as Pakistan, Sudan and Afghanistan women are targeted with vengeance and brutality.

That just about sums it up. The main problem with much of Islam is that in many Islamic countries, religion still rules. There is no 'separation of church and state'. The fact that Muslims in Turkey are far more liberated than say, the Muslims in Iran is because they've achieved it through secularism, not theocracy. While it's no secret that I don't have much use for Islam, I feel horrified for those Muslims who live in such backwards countries, who are not allowed to have a voice or an opinion outside of what they're told to believe. Anyone (especially a woman) risks their life by voicing any sort of protest against the barbaric ways in which they are ruled. Sounds very much like what it was to be a JW. The only difference is that in one of the fundamental Islamic countries, they physically kill you, whereas in the WTS, they merely destroy you mentally, emotionally and spiritually. I'm not sure which is worse.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The difference Justita is that Islam is still practicing this crap

Yep, in some places. And Muslims, such as those who are participating in the outreach that is the core topic of this thread, are those who are well along the path to combining Islam with modernity. The travesty is that they are so far behind now because of the political destablization the U.S. (and France and Britain) caused in the region which lead to the rise in fundamentalism., the religious sub-culture of last resort. Unfortunately, not only are WE reaping what we sowed, but many innocent persons are reaping what the did NOT sow. It's going to take years to fix it...lots of money...many lives. :(

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Muhammad wan't women to shut up and dress like a lampshade........it's NICE, YES?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit