JW doctrines that annoyed or troubled you

by Luo bou to 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Bloodguilt A doctrine that really annoyed me when I was in. Like I was responsible for who Jehovah destroyed.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Um....at the end, all of them. *G* I find it ALL very disturbing now.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

The list is very long but here are a couple:

1) Salvation only for JW's - always thought that was ridiculous

2) Blood - especially recently when you can use almost every component but whole blood. Makes NO sense......

• blondie
    blondie

1975--I was in my teens and 20's and I never bought in. Would say: No one knows the day or the hour, that it would come at a time we thought not. Nothing like clearly stated and understood scriptures to stop many energetic jws from pushing things on you.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

144,000 being a literal number of annointed Christians who are selected to go to heaven.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• JediMaster
    JediMaster

1. Only JW will be saved, everyone else destroyed. 2. The way "wrongdoing" is handleld, ie. Judicial comittees, DF, confessing, yadda yadda yadda. 3. Unswerving obedience to the GB. 4. The whole "privileges" thing.

JediMaster

• designs
    designs

Blood issue. Lost to many friends and family.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Good topic. Here are a few that troubled me when I was in:

1. Only active JWs have a chance to survive Armageddon. I simply did not believe this.
    2. The "creative days" in Genesis were 7,000 years each. The Society doesn't teach this anymore, but they did when I was younger.
    3. Certain sins have to be confessed to men in order to be forgiven. Isn't that like Catholicism?
    4. Most of the "modern-day fulfillments" of Revelation (trumpet blasts = district conventions, 1260 days = WWI era, etc.).
    5. The whole idea of using "a day for a year" in certain places, but not in others. It always seemed a bit arbitrary to me.
    6. Witnesses should not go to university. While the Society has vacillated on this over the past several years, when I was growing up as a JW, college was highly frowned upon and was simply not considered an option.
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That changing from the correct understanding of Higher Powers to an incorrect understanding so that JWs wouldn't disobey God's laws by going to war, then changing back again after the war, proved that the bOrg was spirit directed.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,, that might not have been a Watchtower doctrine, but it was my father's doctrine and nothing else was to be believed under his roof.

Cheers

Chris

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Loads by the time I realised I was no longer a believer. I think my faith was crushed by the weight of the "wait on Jehovah" mental file I had...

Female submission to men
    Cedar Point Ohio fulfilling Bible Prophecy
    Bloodguilt if I didn't preach as much as I could
    Community Responsibility (it's okay if all Muslims get destroyed because they chose to live in a country where they didn't allow the preaching work)
    Blood doctrine (The symbol of life is more important than actual life)
    Disfellowshipping/Disassociation/Reproving/Marking - Corporatising religious discipline,
    Writing secret handbooks for Elders / Pioneers etc
    Two hopes, where even the NWT says there is one hope
    Troubling aspects of the supposedly perfect mosaic law
    Animal sacrifices

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit