Homosexuality is a Sin. Beleive me, you'll want to see this!

by whereami 57 Replies latest jw friends

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

"people do not change 'orientation', they change behavior, maybe."

That's the crux of the matter that ought to be considered by those who believe homosexuals can (and/or should) be reformed.

Forgive the simplistic and aruably idiotic-on-some-level analogy, but I think it not altogether inappropriate:

If someone loves chocolate ice cream, and hates vanilla, you *may* be able to reverse that on some level, but only with brainwashing techniques, never with anything honest or straight-forward, nor with pure "logic" or argumentation. Otherwise, if you're not fully successful, but beat it into their heads that chocolate is of the devil, and vanilla is the way and the light, they may start eating vanilla, though it almost makes them physically ill, but they're going against their innate, low-level desires, only having temporarily repressed them (they're sure as hell not going to yell "JESUS!" when they consumate their union with vanilla). They'll still love if not the taste, at least the memory of the chocolate, and feel the associated guilt of loving something evil. The guilt alone of being themselves evil for so strongly wanting that which is evil may be enough to destroy them. If not, it's only a matter of time before they start sneaking off to Baskin Robins for illicit rendezvous, or, at the very least, experimenting by topping vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup.

I think my analogy took on a life of it's own there, but I hope I made a point.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

What I don't understand about Fundamentalist views on homesexuality is this:

Supposedly they believe we are saved by GRACE through FAITH and NEVER EVER EVER BY WORKS. No matter what works we do or DON'T do, we cannot save ourselves. This applies to anything and everything UNDER THE SUN. Except gays.

Those works can condemn or save you. If you are gay and you give up being gay (works) you can save yourself. And if you are straight and practice a gay act you can lose your salvation (works). No matter how much GRACE or FAITH you have, if you are gay you are doomed.

Contradictions all around.

• steve2
    steve2
    Those works can condemn or save you. If you are gay and you give up being gay (works) you can save yourself. And if you are straight and practice a gay act you can lose your salvation (works). No matter how much GRACE or FAITH you have, if you are gay you are doomed.

Yes, bluesapphire, I used to wonder this as well. Gary is right in one important sense: People can decide not to recognize a part of themselves in the service of their religious beliefs. It's been done for centuries. Look at the accounts of the so-called "saints" who tried to drive every urge or desire from their being through self-deprivation and religious discipline.

It can be done...but only up to a point. In my work as a clinical psychologist, I see too often people who by all appearances have turned their lives around through religion (and not just Christian religions either). But inside, they realize it's business as usual: The urges, desires, needs remain basically unchanged. Then the question becomes: How have you tried to save yourself? By deliberate, unbridled discipline that you dare not step away from lest you are overtaken again by your urges and desires.

The saddest part is the self-hatred this breeds. it makes no more sense than heterosexuals trying their absolute level best to drive their heterosexual urges and desires from their bodies. A deadly recipe for self-respect and the desire to live.

• freydo
    freydo

Perversion does to culture what oil is doing to the Gulf.

• shamus100
    shamus100

if someone no longer wants to live a gay lifestyle they can come out if they really want to

Gary,

What is this lifestyle you speak of and what does it entail? Being a gay man, I wonder WTF you're talking about. Do you think we hang at bathhouses, smoke meth, and screw anything with a pulse? What kind of 'lifestyle' would you enjoy me changing?

Just wondering.

• JWoods
    JWoods

You could start by dumping that orangutan, Shamus -

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Um Shamus, some of us do hang at bath houses, some of us do smoke meth and have addiction problems, some of us do screw anything with a pulse? And if we do one, two, all of that or neither it shouldn't matter; we're just talking about being a homo, not what type of person said homo is. If you're a suburban 'I'm just like my striaght guy guys in hat I'm not getting any either' variety fag, that's okay but srsly come off your high horse, dahling.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think the gays should stop ripping faces off.

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

I don't understand why he is still dressing and acting so gay if he's cured.

Notice the wedding ring??

• teel
    teel

This video is one of several at the site, "Recycle Your Faith".

This one is interesting, IMHO.

http://www.recycleyourfaith.com/2010/06/14/reconsidering-the-bible-and-homosexuality/

I just found the site recycleyourfaith.com through this video too. It's a very interresting site, presenting lots of faith-based topics of discussion from different viewpoints.

I liked this one for example:

http://www.recycleyourfaith.com/2010/03/29/whats-the-point-of-jesus/

Especially this quote: "Your God must really suck if he has to kill somebody. If he like he just can't get around forgiving you unless he kills somebody."

Edit: this is a very moving video too, of a person who chose love instead of blindly clinging to her beliefs and letting that destroy her relationships: http://www.recycleyourfaith.com/2009/06/15/choices/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit