Blow Up the Well to Save the Gulf?

by leavingwt 65 Replies latest social current

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The Op-Ed below in the NY Times advocates blowing up the well with smartly-placed conventional explosives, not a nuclear bomb.

. . .

It’s true that the primary blast of a conventional explosion is less effective underwater than on land because of the intense back-pressure that muffles the shock wave. But as a submariner who studied the detonation of torpedoes, I learned that an underwater explosion also creates rapid follow-on shockwaves. In this case, the expansion and collapse of explosive gases inside the hole would act like a hydraulic jackhammer, further pulverizing the rock.

The idea of detonating the well already has serious advocates. A few people have even called for using a nuclear device to plug the well, as the Soviet Union has done several times. But that would be overkill. Smartly placed conventional explosives could achieve the same results, and avoid setting an unacceptable international precedent for the “peaceful” use of nuclear weapons.

At best, a conventional demolition would seal the leaking well completely and permanently without damaging the oil reservoir. At worst, oil might seep through a tortuous flow-path that would complicate long-term cleanup efforts. But given the size and makeup of the geological structures between the seabed and the reservoir, it’s virtually inconceivable that an explosive could blast a bigger hole than already exists and release even more oil.

The task force could prepare for demolition without forgoing the current efforts to drill relief wells. And even if the ongoing efforts succeed and a demolition proves unnecessary, the non-nuclear option would give President Obama an ace in the hole and a clear signal that he’s in charge -- not BP.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/opinion/22Brownfield.html

• beksbks
    beksbks

What's your personal opinion on this LWT? It sounds way to risky to me. Although, if they seriously consider it, it means things are really jacked.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

From the article:

At worst, oil might seep through a tortuous flow-path that would complicate long-term cleanup efforts.

I say make preparations to blow it, while continuing to investigate other remedies, including the relief well. This will at least give us the option, IF and when it becomes the best one on the table.

Hopefully, more experts from around the world will weigh in on this option and detail the risks.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Are you guys on crack?

Seriously.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Yes, I am on crack. You LWT?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Yes, I am on crack. You LWT?

Yeah, it's Tuesday.

• beksbks
    beksbks

a tortuous flow-path

Ok, so what does this mean? If it means what I think it means, it's really bad, and what I am currently most concerned about.

• shamus100
    shamus100

When I say guys, I mean Americans in general. Besnekers, thank god you didn't agree with such a perposterous 'plan of attack'.

My god, you will find no experts on the planet that have any experience blowing the fuck out of oil wells. But I digress, the NY times apperantly thinks this will show that Obama is in charge.

I ask again, are you guys on crack?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If you glance at the article in the OP, the author talks of letting the Navy TAKE OVER pronto.

Instead, President Obama needs to create a new command structure that places responsibility for plugging the leak with the Navy, the only organization in the world that can muster the necessary team. Then the Navy needs to demolish the well.
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

When the news of the leak first went mainstream, people would joke about nuking it. Now, the NY Times is running this piece, advocating having the Navy actually blow it up. It's all way above my pay grade. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit