This cult is driving me crazy!

by teel 27 Replies latest jw friends

• teel
    teel

Two elders were just here an hour ago. I'm afraid I lost my temper with them, and even my neighbours heard me I'm so ashamed, and so mad at them at the same time!

Let me just take it from the top. I joined JWN almost a year ago, when I had problems with my marriage, and was reassessing my JW status. Since then I continuously drifted apart (in truth it wasn't a slow drift), and my wife kept "drawing closer to Jehovah" which meant being more and more fanatic. About half a year ago I realized our marriage simply wont work this way - we have no common goal, no interrest, nothing in common any more (as a sidenote when we married everyone thought there couldn't be a more perfect match than us). So I started operation disengage - as a freshly divorced friend of mine (JW no less) adviced: don't divorce when you're mad, you will regret it. Divorce when you feel no connection to the person, when she/he is just a stranger to you. That took me half a year.

In the meantime the elders kept bothering me to meet them. I wanted to know how much they are willing to bend to "save a sheep", so I told them I'm willing to meet with only one single man. The offer was accepted - twice actually by two different men. So here came my second "test" - both of them separately knew I viewed JW as not being God's people, and I made clear to both that I want to stay in the religion for the sake of my marriage. It was up to them to make the choice. They picked the wrong choice - one man's marriage means nothing compared to the "cleanness of the congregation" - although I made sure to never ever talk to any other JW about "apostate views".

So they made the choice and called me last wednesday night. One elder told me they are inviting me to a judicial meeting - he didn't use those words, but at least told there will be 3 elders, so it was clear. So here came my final test (these tests were only for my own spiritual curiosity, as to how much JWs have fallen from Christ's footpath?) - I told the calling elder that just like any "worldly" court, I expect the JW court to show an official paper for asking me to show up for the hearing. He insisted, that by word of mouth it was just as official than by paper. So I hung up on him.

Then came the bomb: I was quite upset by such blatant disregard of common sense (this elder is a very intelligent businessman, for whom official business is everyday occurance - he would have been the last person I expected not to understand my request to get official papers) - I voiced my disgruntlement to my wife. She knew almost nothing of the case (I only told they were disregarding common sense and "worldly" law), but she told the elders must have been right. She kept arguing with these exact words: "I don't know what you talked about, but I'm sure the elders did the right thing". This was the last drop in the already full glass - I realized she has absolutely no respect for me, or trust me at all. In a case where she knows nothing, she can't take sides - except when she distrusts the person completely.

I don't know, maybe she's right, maybe I'm a douchebag. I try to be better, I really would like to be nice. But one thing was certain for me at that point: she and I have no future together. This was only the final step in a long troubled marriage. So I asked her to move back to her parents. With big fights, threatening (from her part mostly, about totally unrelated things), and such she finally left.

In the meantime the elders, disregarding my request met tonight in my absence (it's night here right now). So a bit unexpectedly - I had lots of other problems on my mind, I just talked to a lawyer tonight too regarding marriage - just two hours ago (I'm writing this for almost an hour now) two elders rang at my door. They say they're here to deliver my request, to officially invite me to the judicial meeting. I was a bit surprised, and waited for them to hand me the signed citation. Which never came. He said this was the official invitation, that they came. So I told them I was pretty clear that I asked for a signed citation, not another verbal delivery.

Then practically out of nowhere (I can't remember for the life of me what lead to this), one of the elders - why did they send him anyway? he's the most obnoxious person I ever met, JW or not - he told me that I broke my promise to Jehovah. I told him don't worry, I never broke my promise, I am working hard to keep that promise. Then he told me: that is not up to you to decide, Jehovah will decide that! I felt my blood rising past boiling point. He just told me I didn't kept my promise! But it's up to Jehovah to decide! The two faced judgemental bastard! Am I to assume he is Jehovah?

I am ashamed, but I started yelling at him I'm sure even my neighbours heard it, and it's really not a good case. I know my behaviour only reinforced the elders' beliefs that they are in the "Truth", and maybe even made a case for any subsequent return visit to the neighbours. I so wish I kept a calm attitude. Anyone has any advice on a good anger management book or something?

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I'm sorry that you have to go through this crap. Reading your story makes me even more grateful that I didn't marry a Witness!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

One reason (among many) I refuse to meet with the elders is because I don't trust myself to maintain control. If they come to DF me I'm fine with that but if they insult and berate me I may well react like you did.

I don't know your entire family situation obviously, but your original post doesn't make it look like you did much to try to save the marriage. Of course, you can't include everything in a single post, so I'm not accusing you or anything. But you may get some reaction to what looks like you simply giving up on your wife just so you could quit the Borg.

Most importantly at this point, I think, is do you have a life at present? Have you prepared to be an ex-JW? Do you have friends? "Worldly" family? People you can bounce stuff off of and be yourself around? Take care of yourself. Do what you gotta do. Good luck.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Don't blame yourself too much for losing your temper- trying to reason with most Witnesses is like banging your head against a wall.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Teel, you can't win. The elders are never wrong, they have the green book telling them what to do. They are spiritually qualified men and represent God's organisation, who are you to dispute them ?

I hope you can deal with this sh*t without too much stress. I don't know where you are based, but if you are in the UK and want a listening ear, PM me and I will send you my telephone number.

Take care.

• dgp
    dgp

As I see it, you got nothing else to lose. You've lost the wife already. They will surely disfellowship you. You will lose the friends, et cetera, so, how would punching an elder in the face add to your problems?

As I see it, good riddance. The best part of your life is coming your way.

• undercover
    undercover
    Then practically out of nowhere (I can't remember for the life of me what lead to this), one of the elders - why did they send him anyway? he's the most obnoxious person I ever met, JW or not - he told me that I broke my promise to Jehovah. I told him don't worry, I never broke my promise, I am working hard to keep that promise. Then he told me: that is not up to you to decide, Jehovah will decide that! I felt my blood rising past boiling point. He just told me I didn't kept my promise! But it's up to Jehovah to decide! The two faced judgemental bastard! Am I to assume he is Jehovah?
    I am ashamed, but I started yelling at him I'm sure even my neighbours heard it, and it's really not a good case. I know my behaviour only reinforced the elders' beliefs that they are in the "Truth", and maybe even made a case for any subsequent return visit to the neighbours. I so wish I kept a calm attitude.

I can relate... I did something similar with an obnoxious, over-righteous SOB elder. He was in my home making statements about nothing he had no business speaking about and I lost it on him. I regreted losing my temper but it did set the tone in future dealings with him...namely - none. He avoids me and I refuse to interact with him. I'm sure he thought he was vindicated for righteousness sake because I kicked him out of my house but once I realized that he actually was afraid to deal with me after that, I was glad that it worked out that way.

I've learned since then that you really can't argue or debate anything with JWs. You can't reason with them or use logic to get them to see anything. In the rare instances that I have to deal with an elder, I let them ramble on and I say next to nothing. After awhile of not responding or having anything to say, they get tired and want out of the conversation.

Your fate may be sealed with the judicial committee... but that may be the best thing. A clean break. You're free. No more messing around with them.

If you're trying to keep your marriage, worse than losing it on the elder is trying to show your wife that you're stable and reasonable. You're not going to win her overnight. It takes time...a long time. You've got to learn when to speak up and when to STFU.

It's tough trying to escape a cult. Good luck and I hope things get better.

• JediMaster
    JediMaster

Gee, that's a hard one. I'm not sure how the whole "invitation" works. I know they do have to notify you of place and time for the comittee to take place. In my case for instance they sent a letter, but I was out of town, after that they just dropped the matter. Any (ex) elders know if it has to be in writing??

Then he told me: that is not up to you to decide, Jehovah will decide that!

I think my blood rose when I read this. Very infuriating, specially if the elder is as annoying as you say. Such disregard for people's feelings. I probably would have lost it too. So if Jehovah is to decide, then why are they the ones in the comittee?? Really sorry you're going through this. Hang in there. Keep venting here if that's all you've got for now.

Jedi Master

• dgp
    dgp

Oh, and don't even go to the judicial meeting. Don't waste your time, but, above all, don't give them that last bit of authority over you.

• teel
    teel

Mad Sweeney: yes, sadly I could have done more. I truly don't know what is with me any more. Believe me, it was really my wish that the marriage works, she wasn't a bad person. I just feel so tired and burned out fighting this corporation. I'm not the best person for this job. All I wanted was a nice happy marriage, without outsiders who know nothing about us setting rules to live by, and destroying the bond. I most certainly don't give up my wife to escape the Borg, rather I feel the Borg makes it impossible to have a meaningful relationship.

Fortunately none of my family was a JW, except my wife (for whom partly I joined this cult too). I have no friends though, they all slowly drifted away after I joined But I'm actively working on it, I hope it will be better in time. So yes, I am sort of prepared to be an ex-JW, I see no other path actually. I'm dreaming of a better tomorrow.

Jadeen, thanks for the sympathetic words.

Edit: by the time I wrote this there come a lot more responses, thanks everyone, I'm reading now.

Edit2: thanks again, it did feel good to just vent here. Although I have non-JW family who will listen to my ramblings about JWs, they just can't understand it. How could they? My mother for example when I told about DF felt it's just impossible that a mother would willingly never talk to his child. It was just so out of this world, she probably thought I'm exagerating or something. So while it's great to have them, this forum is the place where people understand these thoughts the best.

cantleave: thanks for your offer, I'm not in UK unfortunately.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit