Unitarian Universalism

by changeling 52 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

I went to one 8 or 9 times about 7 years ago. One of the members was a former college professor of mine who is a Buddhist, another a psychiatrist - lots of professional people and quite a few youngsters. It was an enjoyable experience - every other Sunday they had a gathering where we sat in a circle and everyone had the opportunity to talk about anything they wanted to for 5 minutes. Services were enjoyable too, and afterwards there was always refreshments and socializing in the basement. If I were forced to choose a particular denomination to join it would be them.

• changeling
    changeling

LOL. undercover! My brain totally ignored thr NASCAR sermon... I did listen to a couple others and thought the guy rambled a bit, but made a modicum of sense. All very non-judgmental and not at all preachy, just thoughts to make you go hmmm...

I did think, as some mentioned, that it should be a philosophy rather than a religion... maybe if I go I'll ask them about that...

Poppers, what you described sounds like what I imaginie it as being...

Thank you all for your comments... :)

• Gayle
    Gayle

Very simple belief system quiz:

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

Quite simplified but interesting.

• changeling
    changeling

That was fun, and the results don't surprise me. Notice which religion is at the bottom of the list:

Your Results

The top score on the list below represents the faith that Belief-O-Matic, in its less than infinite wisdom, thinks most closely matches your beliefs. However, even a score of 100% does not mean that your views are all shared by this faith, or vice versa.

Belief-O-Matic then lists another 26 faiths in order of how much they have in common with your professed beliefs. The higher a faith appears on this list, the more closely it aligns with your thinking.

How did the Belief-O-Matic do? Discuss your results on our message boards.

1. Secular Humanism(100%)
    2. Unitarian Universalism(95%)
    3. Liberal Quakers(78%)
    4. Theravada Buddhism(74%)
    5. Nontheist(73%)
    6. Neo-Pagan(67%)
    7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants(65%)
    8. Taoism(56%)
    9. New Age(55%)
    10. Reform Judaism(53%)
    11. Mahayana Buddhism(44%)
    12. Orthodox Quaker(42%)
    13. Scientology(40%)
    14. Baha'i Faith(40%)
    15. New Thought(37%)
    16. Sikhism(36%)
    17. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist)(32%)
    18. Jainism(31%)
    19. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons)(24%)
    20. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant(23%)
    21. Islam(22%)
    22. Orthodox Judaism(22%)
    23. Seventh Day Adventist(17%)
    24. Hinduism(15%)
    25. Eastern Orthodox(15%)
    26. Roman Catholic(15%)
    27. Jehovah's Witness(4%
  • changeling
  • TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

I have attended a couple of times, and enjoyed it. But not willing to commit or volunteer for anything.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

"You might be a Unitarian and not even know it." - Leo Rosten's Religions of America

• streets76
    streets76

As Groucho Marx might say, "I wouldn't join any religion that would have me as a member."

A circle jerk sounds more appealing. (Is there such a thing as a circle jill? That would be better.)

And "spiritual" vs. "religious," here we go again with that discussion. Someone tells me, "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual," all I can say is, "No, you're just self-absorbed. Get over yourself."

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

UU is a lot about secular humanism and respecting all belief systems (not necessarily approving of all of it, but tolerance is encouraged), and discussing them and discarding the stupid bits and gaining from the bits that resonate with you or that you find spiritually nourishing.

I have an atheist friend who will occasionally attend UU services with her mom or aunt because she enjoys the atmosphere of peace, contemplation and the focus on secular humanism.

I think that the idea of groups appeals to extroverts or social introverts who seem to have a larger need for this sort of thing. A belief system is just something to form a group around and focus activities around.

Extroverts, in the psychological sense, (and I am definitely an extrovert) need socializing and grouping up and interpersonal interaction to recharge their batteries, so I kind of like the idea of going to an unstuffy, liberal and ecumenical church like UU. As strange as it may sound to you introverts out there, socializing energizes us and being alone sucks us dry, depresses us and makes us very unhappy.

Introverts recharge by being alone, so they're probably the people who sit in a quiet corner in Barnes and Noble and find spiritual succor in quiet cup of coffee and a book, or sitting in yoga class contemplating their navel, or just maybe sitting alone in a cell praying, but extroverts would need a lively, open group discussion, a charity drive or a social occasion like a church dinner or dance to get fired up about spirituality.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

According to that quiz, I am 100% an Orthodox Quaker !!!

Pass the oatmeal !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit