Unitarian Universalism

by changeling 52 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

Has anyone here gone that route? I've been reading up on them and they sound interesting. They even accept atheists! They are a"creed-less" religion and their focus is on the betterment of mankind, not on judgement. They believe the Bible was written by men, has some interesting, even helpful, stuff, but is not inspired. Same goes for other relgious books. The local minister for the cong. in my town is agnostic. How cool is that?

They do a lot of good work in the community and their sermons (read some online) are about very interesting, thought provoking topics. So... does anyone have any personal experiences with this group?

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Me...it's the closest thing to what I embrace now, but there are no churches of that denom where I live, which is way out in the boonies.

But, everything I've read about it I find entirely appealing. If there were a UU church anywhere near here, I'd attend.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Had a friend who claimed to be an atheist but went to this because for some reason socially he wanted to be in a church.

I would think a social organization (of like secular interests) would actually make more sense.

• undercover
    undercover

I was invited to UU by my doctor but I declined.

Maybe it's because of having escaped the JWs, but I want nothing to do with any religion, even one as tolerant and non-denominational as UU.

I'm with JWoods, social organizations make more sense if UU is attractive because of the social aspects. Actually, if you need social interaction, a neighborhood pub works better. I worship at the alter of Our Mother of the Neighborhood Tavern.

• changeling
    changeling

JWoods, If I attended, it would be for social reasons as well... I'm an atheist, but live in a very conservative area. Finding a social outlet that would attract open minded people is difficult in my neck of the woods, so the UU's seem intriguing to me...

• changeling
    changeling

So, undercover, you know where I am, where do you suggest I find people that are not religious freaks or who would not be horrified if I told them I was an atheist???

• changeling
    changeling

Check out the local website, undercover...

• changeling
    changeling

I'm not a big drinker, not into sports, don't do crafts...

• changeling
    changeling

I like to eat, read and converse...

• changeling
    changeling

I worship the god of Sunday brunch, but it would be nice to find fellow worshippers... :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit