Unitarian Universalism

by changeling 52 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    being un-religious, sort of defines me. I am a very open type of friend, I like discussions about what we're are reading, thinking, feeling

I can dig that. Being non-religious now defines me as well. Thing is for me, outside of this forum, I don't talk about religion with friends/acquaintances I've met since leaving. I've left religion behind...and that's kinda where I want it to stay.

I'm sure if you and I were to meet, we'd talk all about it because we share similar history. But I don't really like talking about it with people who have no concept what it was like to be a JW...and I have no interest in their trying to enlighten me with their fairy tale beliefs. I guess that's why UU hasn't appealed to me.

• changeling
    changeling

Yeah... I surely don't want to be preached to...gag! I just have this feeling that that's not what they're about. I imagine them as warm and fuzzy, earth friendly recyclers (liberals!!!), who like to hang out and discuss the meaning of life w/o judgment... I'm probably just projecting my own needs...but, who knows???

Check out their website...

• John Doe
    John Doe

I hate Axe nauseating scents. But I like their advertisements.

• changeling
    changeling

randomness... :)

• undercover
    undercover

Okay, I checked out the website.

I see UU as a place for people who aren't accepted in the faiths they were raised, yet haven't accepted that they don't need religion, for whatever reason. They seek some kind of social interaction through a perceived safe haven of worship.

I agree that out of all the religions out there, one could do much worse than UU...they're tolerant, don't adhere to one sacred text, don't require everyone to believe the same thing, or same god. Which kind of flies in the face of what religion is all about - exclusivity, intolerant and condemning.

That's where I don't get trying to be the 'good guy' religion. Why not just throw all the religious crap out and create a philosophical group without pretending that it's a religion?

All that and it's reach when you have to rely on NASCAR for one of your sermons, as in, "The Theology of NASCAR".

• agonus
    agonus

Well, now hang on. There IS a difference between "spirituality" and "religion". Even an atheist (though I'm not one, at least not in the classical sense) can have a form of spirituality. Transcendence, something greater than yourself... you know what I mean.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Not NASCAR, undercover - FIA formula one.

But I agree - if you are basically non-religious, why create a religion around THAT?

• undercover
    undercover
    FIA formula one.

Ain't that one of dem European cults? Down here we worship NASCAR and Dale Earnhardt, Sr is God with Richard Petty serving at his right hand as King...

There IS a difference between "spirituality" and "religion".

Yea, I can agree with that. But of the few really "spiritual" people I've come across, they don't need affirmation or confirmation from a group to realize what they feel or believe. They just know...

Personally, I'm on the verge of atheism - the only reason I ain't is that I can't prove there is or ain't a higher power, so I don't get all dogmatic about it - but I read Johnny Cash's autobiography and something he said about spirituality impressed me. I can't remember the quote but he basically said that he felt God's presence by being out in nature and absorbing what was around him. He never understood why people felt closer to God inside a buiding instead of being out in nature. Now that came from a man who believed in God as a creator and all that, but he accepted God/spriituality on his own terms, not someone elses. Even though he supported Billy Graham and many churches through charitiable works, he was his own man and answered to his God in his way. I can accept that much easier than I can someone trying to defend any one particular religion or organization.

• agonus
    agonus

"Yea, I can agree with that. But of the few really "spiritual" people I've come across, they don't need affirmation or confirmation from a group to realize what they feel or believe. They just know..."

True. But spirituality can also can include fellowship and solidarity. Isolationism can diminish spirituality because, again, it ain't all about you.

I dig Cash's comments... How about if we start an outdoor church? (I know, I know, the Wiccans and Druids did it first)...

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I went to one once. It was interesting. When I went there was a guest pastor speaking who was actually a, I believe female-male transexual. His sermon was about "queerness." So of course coming from a KH upbringing you know that was mindblowing. The congregation was mostly middle aged to elderly white people. I was one of about 4 persons of color there. They were very nice, they had tea and snacks after, I met alot of people. They sang songs during the service One couple actually went out into the aisle and started dancing, I thought that was cute. It was nice, but I wish there were younger people there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit