2010 District Convention - Some Thoughts on the Sunday Afternoon Session

by Olin Moyles Ghost 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

Explaining it as you have, Olin MG, it seems the guys that came up with this s**t are not that silly.

Now, I ain't in to conspiracy theories, but it strikes me that no matter how many Wednesday meetings the GB held, even with the boss (Ted J) still up and running, they ain't cute enough to come up with something so "good" (From the WT point of view)

So, who are or is the Eminence Gris behind the GB throne ? Who really comes up with this crap ?

• agonus
    agonus

"Crazy like a fox..."

I'd say more "evil like a fox", but yes...

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

I think Gary Neal makes a good point about the pre-flood "generations". They lived 800-900 years and the same definition would apply to them as well.

• undercover
    undercover
    Now the Watchtower of--the 2008 Watchtower--the 12/15 issue, page 25 made this comment about the word "generation": it says the word generation usually refers to people of various ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period or event. Now we've got an example of that: Exodus 1, and verse 6. "Eventually Joseph died, and also all his brothers, and all that generation."
    Just think about what's written there--it refers to Joseph and all his brothers as "that generation." Now 10 of Josephs brothers witnessed events before Joseph's birth and at least 2 of those brothers lived after his death. So they were of a variety of ages but they were contemporaries and viewed as one "generation."

Can you say "grasping at straws", children?

Seriously... After 60 years of quoting Jesus, saying "that this generation will be no means pass away" and identifying that generation as the group of people who were alive during the events of 1914, they have to resort to quoting a obscure little scripture in Exodus: "Eventually Joseph died, and all his brothers, and all that generation." And from that they were able to come up with a whole new interpretation of the generation doctrine?

The only reason that this move by the GB can be considered "crazy like a fox" is that most dubs don't question shit that comes from Brooklyn. They swallow it hook, line, and sinker.

Yet another indication that this is a cult. When you throw something as preposterous as this out there and people actually buy it without question, then they are seriously indoctrinated and programmed.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Yet another indication that this is a cult. When you throw something as preposterous as this out there and people actually buy it without question, then they are seriously indoctrinated and programmed.

It all boils down to trust and fear. When JWs hear this stuff, they have two choices: (1) go with the flow, disregarding any doubts as the result of it being "too deep for me"; or (2) question whether this "spiritual food" from the FDS is actually correct.

JWs will overwhelmingly pick #1 partly because they've been conditioned to trust what comes from the Society and to fear "the world" and the consequences of doubt. It's no accident that this new doctrine was highlighted at the last talk on the last day of the convention. For three days, the Society reinforced its position in the minds of the Witnesses as God's one true organization. And for three days, the Society cultivated fear of "the world" and of Armageddon. As a result, the attendees were primed and ready to accept whatever illogical, unscriptural nonsense came from the platform.

• sherah
    sherah
    And for three days, the Society cultivated fear of "the world" and of Armageddon. As a result, the attendees were primed and ready to accept whatever illogical, unscriptural nonsense came from the platform.

Or they were simply too tired (mentally & physically) after three long days to really the consider what was being said. That is why, I believe, the GB chose to present it this way

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The thing is, that for decades THEY defined the generation as those who SAW, say it again, SAW the events of 1914.

No overlappers SAW the events of 1914, did they? They have stopped saying those who SAW the events of 1914 because it might be too much for even the dubbies to swallow, that contemporaries of those who SAW qualify as those who SAW the events.

The more you think about it, the less it makes sense. They have unhooked the idea of a generation from the word generation, something they hung their hat on for decades.

• TD
    TD

As an observer, it was interesting that the talk followed immediately on the heels of a drama whose moral was, "Obey even if you don't understand"

• flipper
    flipper

OLIN MOYLES GHOST- Thanks for posting this information from the District Convention. I do not envy what patience you had to have to sit through this incredibly mind controlling steer manure.

That being said I found this use of Exodus quite weird and insane. " Now we 've got an example of that : Exodus 1 and vs. 6. " Eventually Joseph died , and also, all his brothers , and all that generation. "

" Just think about what's written there - it refers to Joseph and all his brothers as " that generation " . Now 10 of Joseph's brother's witnessed events before Joseph's birth and at least 2 of those brothers lived after his death. So they were a variety of ages but they were " contemporaries " and viewed as one generation. " Well, yeah- it goes without saying that if THEY WERE ALL BROTHERS - yes indeed ! They WERE of one generation ! But it doesn't mean they were the same generation as their fathers or grandfathers ! AHHHHH !

I mean , I knew older people in their 90's while still a JW but that is 2 overlapping generation's - not one. The WT society is trying to say that people of DIFFERENT AGES can be the same generation - but that's true only if they CAME FROM PARENTS OF THE PREVIOUS GENERATION ! I'm so frustrated with the abuse of the English language by these mindless WT society leader twits - I need a glass of wine. Red Merlot, thank you very much. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"A far cry from what I see at the assemblies where they made an example of one individual who had decided to forego college and instead work in his father's (wait for it...) window washing business so he could pioneer more. Dreadful..."

What's even worse is that you'll get JWs who will tell you, "the GB didn't tell you not to go to college, they didn't tell you to work part time." I actually had a JW tell me that. She was like "Oh well that's your parents fault that they went to serve where the need was great (from '69-1975- there was no pressure then), that they didn't go to college, or have 401ks or college funds, etc" So I've found that the same people who condemn me for not agreeing with the GB will listen to these same "suggestions" at the DC and say basically that you are just stupid for listening to it. Just like the society denied the big deal made over 1975, and stated that it was the R&F who were pushing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit