Generation 'New Light' is Actually Working

by zoiks 58 Replies latest jw friends

• cult classic
    cult classic

I feel so sad for them.

My immediate family for the most part knows it's a crock. We're out of the loop as far as the local dubs but they seem to be pretty quiet on this one.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Circuit overseers squirm at the thought of trying to pass off the 'new light' on this one.

Either they have utter contempt for us R&F as we sit gormless in front of them listening to the clap trap or they are so fearful of the consequences for themselves if they do tow the line that this fear overrides their conscience.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Franz passed away in 1992, so the youngest group that they can point to who still fit the explanation are those who were already anointed eighteen years ago in 1992. Obviously, this would not include those who were children at the time. Probably at a bare minimum, it would be those who were 30 and 40 somethings in 1992, since the Witnesses community doesn't look upon younger partakers as really anointed.

Although I generally agree with your interpretation, I'm not so sure about the limiting aspect of this. I think many JWs are of the belief that one is anointed at his/her baptism (just like Fred Franz apparently was, also Jesus himself), whether they start partaking at that point or not. Therefore, a ten year-old who was baptized in 1992 could theoretically be part of Generation 1.2 since he overlapped with Franz. Also, we don't have any way of knowing if Fred Franz was the absolute last member of Generation 1.1. There could have been any number of anointed who lived into the mid or late 90s. I'm thinking this change *could* stretch them out to around 2080, though I would wager the next change will be well before 2040.

But honestly, it is important to remember that this is all moot, because the entire two-class system of Christianity is pure fantasy; it is an invention of the Borg that doesn't exist in reality.

• sir82
    sir82

I can see where people would latch onto this, especially those in their 40's & upward, who would still remember the "generation that saw 1914" hype prior to 1995.

In our congregation, there's a cluster of long-timer folks right around age 60 - once they go to the convention and hear this "clarification", they'll be pretty near unsupportable in their "Oh it's so close" ravings.

It kind of seems like a last hurrah though. What happens in 10-20 years when "evidently" that lap-over generation is dying off as well?

On the other hand, if you are inclined to be cynical, the GB might be thinking "hey, in 10-20 years, most of those who remember the 'old light generation' will be dead or drooling, so who cares?"

• goldensky
    goldensky

Dear Zoiks, how right you are! Do you remember guys when (was it around September?) you all started to excitedly discuss the new interpretation and many of us thought such an utterly ridiculous explanation would finally open up the eyes of many (although some of you were rightly skeptical about it)? Well, it's very disappointing for me to realize how little of a fuss it has created among the brothers, my own sister included (although I still have the hope this has really hit her inside only she's not telling me yet). Oh, well... Everything is so crazy...

• snowbird
    snowbird

As I posted on another thread, "theez eez boolsheet!"

Syl

• Quandry
    Quandry

you are placing unrealistic expectations on witnesses. Asking God inspired knowledge off them!

Evidently.....

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I think there is another fringe benefit that goes along with the extension of the Generation:

Justifies the increasing number of partakers.

As the dwindling anointed number model is no longer applicable, this new second part of the Gen gives the Borg some breathing room in the partakers count department.

-Yan

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What a waste of minds. No wonder they are Jehovah's Witlesses.

• zoiks
    zoiks
    I can see where people would latch onto this, especially those in their 40's & upward, who would still remember the "generation that saw 1914" hype prior to 1995.

That's my impression as well. It restores that "sense of urgency" that was lost for many in 1995. I was just finishing high school in '95, and I remember thinking, "Oh, god, I could grow old in this system!" Then I would think, "Oh, but there are fewer than 10,000 anointed, so it should still be close".

Of course the 2008 version didn't restore the urgency, and with the partakers increasing, I'm betting that a LOT of JWs are extremely relieved to be living with a non-specific-but-still-tantalizingly-close date in mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit