I'd like to know who you were before you were baptized a JW? Were you raised a JW? What religion or denomination of Christianity did you profess before you became a JW.

by SAHARA 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• pirata
    pirata

I was raised, I did zero research beyond meeting preparation. I used to underline my bookstudy preparation as fast as I could so I could go play. My family encouraging me to get baptized, finally I memorized the questions in the book, passed them, and got baptized when I was a teenager because it felt like the right thing to do.

Recently, after deciding to "make the truth my own" and verify JW teachings from the scriptures, I realized that getting baptized before researching the JW history and our doctrines wasn't the best decision I've ever made.

• changeling
    changeling

I was a 10 year old "born in" before and I was a 10 year old "born in" after... :)

• Heaven
    Heaven

I'm like Blondie where my Dad wasn't a JW when I was a kid but Mom was studying so we kids had to study. I didn't do any research on the org. -- I just figured it out on my own that it was bogus by the time I reached my teens. I never got baptized.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Born in, baptised at around 14 because it was expected. Never did any research until about 2 years ago then realised it was all a bit late. (I'm mid 60's now). Still trapped in and very bitter about all the lies I have been told. Embarrassed that I have allowed myself to be fooled.

George

• StAnn
    StAnn

Born in. Both of my parents studied before I was born but only my mother got baptized. Dad is not technically a JW, rarely goes to meetings, but believes quite a lot of their doctrines. I was raised in it, baptized at 13 because of peer pressure. Never thought about researching it. All of my life, I'd been told it was the one true religion and I didn't doubt what I'd been told. I mean, like most kids, I didn't believe that my mother would lie to me, right?

StAnn

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Born in. Both of my parents were ardent JWs up until I was about 12. We had moved to a new city and we never seemed to fit in to this strange congregation. Our meeting attendance slipped a little bit as did field service. I was pressured by the elders to be baptized but I never did. I never doubted that it was the one true religion until I was about 14. I haven't been to a meeting since I was 15. My parents continued to limp along for another 6 years until my father died suddenly. My mother and sister never went to another meeting after that.It was a painful journey and in some ways continue to be so.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Raised a JW.

DY

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Born in- my mom was baptized, but dad wasn't (thought the JW elders were the gestapo)

I did no research prior to my baptism at age 13, just going along with it all to be "good association"

wish my dad made more of a stand for our sakes, but he's just human, figured at least we weren't doing drugs or becomming teenage parents.

I can't change my past mistakes, now all I can do is plan for a better future (not a "new system" fantasy)

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Raised a jw and baptized in 1972 with the full expectation that I could pioneer all the way through to the new order.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Born in.

Disappeared from home at 17 without getting baptised.

Didn't investigate the WT for truthfulness until I was 52. That negligence resulted in a lot of bad decisions.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit