When was the last time somebody proved you wrong and you admitted it?

by Terry 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• maputo95
    maputo95

I try to follow the 10th Step of the 12 Steps which is:

"Continued to take personal inventory and when wrong promptly admitted it".

This gives me a willingness to learn and have affinity with those who were right!

However, with the resources of the internet available, it is very difficult to state a wrong fact and insist it's true! Some people have selective memories and in the case of a nationalist bigot, they will ignore any data which elevates another country in any given sphere of endeavour. They cling onto stereotypes of others. Anti-Catholic vitriol is rife and deployed by JWs who NEVER EVER admit they are wrong as they believe they ARE God's visible organisation on earth- a gross form of religious narcissism.

If a JW ever proves me wrong, I would admit it the moment I saw my error. Let me see, when was the last time a Watchtower pusher proved me wrong......mmmmm...........no.........hang on...........

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

It feels like China here in St. Pete. Chnamen and Mexicans and a commie president.

All being taken care of on the well fare dime.

I put them to bed every night.

I will say a commie president is better than W.

But if America is going to continue we need something better.

I'm sorry if I offend you. I dont have any respect for any politicians.

Maybe America wont continue maybe we will be the North American Union.

Then after that we will have one world government.

And then Armegeddon.

I dont mean to offend you because you are just like me.

You never have or had any one to vote for just a choice between to dingbats dumb and dumber.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Quite a few times. For instance, I once thought that going out in the cold without a coat would give me a cold because I was taught that. They said that if it was below 70 out, and I didn't have a jacket or coat on, I would catch a cold. Then came the Energy Crisis of 1973. People were told to set their thermostats below 70 (they were told 68), and I didn't catch more colds that winter. And I heard fewer people, among those complying with that request, got sick. Since then, they lowered it to 65 during the day and 55 at night in 1979, again no excess colds. I keep my place at 55 in winter, and I think it actually improves my health some--myth busted.

Another health issue is with vitamin C. My grandparents told me that it makes no difference. However, in college, I started taking vitamins during the summer of my first year--and got fewer colds while on high doses of vitamin C. Then, one year I quit for a time, and started getting more colds (just like everyone else) while off the vitamins. This continued until I started taking lots of vitamin C to ward off tooth abscesses. Well, it warded off about 2/3 of the colds I otherwise would have caught. That was proof enough for me.

As for the Bible, it contains all the proof I need that Jehovah doesn't love anyone but His Fat Self, and that Jesus was doing the work started by Satan to attempt to liberate us from God. Going against everything anyone else had ever tried to teach me about God, I realized that no loving God could keep me celibate against my will. Satan might be able to try, but if God was so powerful, why in hell didn't He step in forcibly and do something about it? If, on the other hand, God Himself was to blame, it would in fact go on for life--my observation to this day. Thus, I could now see other cases, right in the Bible, of God's tyranny--Nimrod, King Saul, and all those God had killed simply for not worshiping Him.

I am currently finding out whether yet another "fact" I had believed is wrong. I was told that fluoride is good for your teeth, and most of us have been told the same thing. Yet, I looked online for "mineral hardness". I know that healthy enamel has a hardness similar to topaz, which is around 8 on the scale. Calcium fluoride, which is formed from fluoride, has a hardness of only 4. The metal probe they use to poke holes in your teeth has a hardness around 5, meaning they can make a cavity with that thing if your teeth are fluoridated but not if they are not. Plus, the glycerin in toothpaste prevents minerals from being deposited in teeth, sodium lauryl sulfate creates damage to enamel and leads to canker sores, and hydrated silica has a hardness of 7--sandpaper. I switched to tooth soap, and so far my teeth feel cleaner longer because there is no glycerin or propylene glycol for anything to stick to. If my next checkup in October is better than the one I got in April, yet another myth will be busted--that toothpaste is good for your teeth.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, "Wrong about charity"? Would you mind explaining what you mean?

I was twice wrong. I did a bit of research on various charities. Some of the ones I thought were great actually spend way to much on so-called "administration" a a tiny amount goes to the named cause itself.

Charities I thought were dubious turned out to be much better at passing the coin along to those in need.

I use to think all charities were fraud. Not so. You have to exercise due dilligence to make sure which is which.

The worst charities are the TV ministry-connected. Whoo boy! They rake in the dough and pass so little along to the people they say they are helping it is a crime. But, being a religion, they get along with it.

As I get older I try to practice gracious giving to those I know personally. That way I know where it is going!

• not a captive
    not a captive

Thanks for explaining that. Do you mind saying which ones you think give the most bang-for-the-buck? Some times it seems like even a little money can help in a big way. Maeve

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm not perfect and if I make a mistake in front of my children I admit to it which is the exact opposite of how my parents raised me. When I was a child they never admitted to being wrong, not even when they left us alone when I was 10 years old and my 5 year old brother snuck out of the house and was in a drowning accident - he nearly died and was left permanently damaged, mentally and physically. They were totally wrong but never ever said sorry to their children and led us to believe that it was not their fault.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Well I've never been wrong so...

Obviously all kidding aside, yes I have. I do it all the time at work. It's the only way to keep people off your back half the time.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

hell it's easy. I'll admit when I'm wrong. I don't like being an asshole. Assholes are those when they are wrong and don't admitt it. I don't need any help being a bigger Assshole.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit