When was the last time somebody proved you wrong and you admitted it?

by Terry 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

Intellectual honesty and personal integrity depend on a fine point. Can you accept being wrong and admit it?

Nobody wants to be wrong because we have to trust your view of things to survive and prosper. Being wrong could mean you are in great danger and totally unaware.

Or, it could mean we are sloppy thinkers.

Or, it could mean we are careless about our opinion and our words......

But, admitting you are dead wrong and then doing something about it is the shining moment that advances mankind and allows progress.

Not just on a personal level.

Is there anything important (not trivial) you discovered you were wrong about----and had the courage to admit?

Tell us.

I discovered I was wrong about charity recently.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Some folks told me not to vote for a commie for president.

They were right, I was wrong.

But it was anybody but Bush.

• not a captive
    not a captive

I've had to apologize to individual family members because the religion I went into was wrong and created distortions for my children and others growing up. I'm sorry for the harm it did to them. I've got a big family.

I see people that knew I was a staunch Witness and it is not enough to say it was a bad place to take or look for faith and worship-- but I try to undo the residue of my previous stand.

There are a few people and a few "doors" I want to revisit and tell them how I appreciate their integrity in rejecting my offers.

• techdotcom
    techdotcom

All the stinking time....Anyone remember the scene with Will Ferrel from Land of the the Lost? "Do you ever get tired of being wrong." "YEAH I really do!" (running from dinasoar) lol I feel his pain.

• tec
    tec

I change my behavior when I've been proven wrong. I don't always admit to it. It depends on the person - like my husband. In the past, I've admitted that I've been wrong and apologized - and the man has just run to the ends of the earth with that!

I don't expect people to admit to me that they're wrong, or even apologize. If they just change they're behavior accordingly, then I am happy.

Tammy

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I'd rather be happy than be right. Everything I "know" is subject to review - I realize I have preferences and opinions, and these (like all mental artifacts) are ephemeral.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I was wrong about something yesterday, admitted my error and apologized. Not so hard to do.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Since leaving the JWs I'm proud to admit when I'm wrong. My identity no longer hinges on being right.

edited: The last time I was proven wrong was on a thread about a month ago. Someone asked why people say "I could care less" vs "I couldn't care less". I learned that it's correct to use both phrases. I admitted it and actually have been quite happy not to be irritated by what I thought was incorrect wording of the phrase.

Cult Classic

• John Doe
    John Doe

About a week ago. It was trivial though.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

It doesn't happen so much nowadays - but I debated with Terry a few years back about Deepak chopra, when posting in my real name.

I defended him; Terry said he was a fraud. I was wrong - Terry was right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit