If I'm so intelligent how did I get drawn in to it all?

by Lozhasleft 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I consider myself an intelligent woman...maybe not strong on the 'common sense' front, but academically I've done pretty well...so...how on earth did I not see through it all when I was studying in the beginning???

I remember worrying about their 'sales pitching' styles and their arrogance of believing they had the 'truth' ...but still I got involved and became totally immersed in it all. I feel like I sacrificied our whole family to them, who now shun me.

Yesterday, my new son in law, he's a lawyer, asked me how I could have believed it wasnt a cult (topical word this week here) he said he didnt understand how I could have been persuaded to believe it all and trust them with so much and for so many years.....

I feel ashamed of myself that I did and that I brought all this upon our family...anyone else relate?

Loz x

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I didn't convert as I was born in, but I can relate. I wonder how I stayed in for so long. I was supposed to be the smart one in my congregation, yet was one of the last ones to leave. Most of my friends left in their teens and 20's, I continued until the age of 35.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Intelligence has very little to do with being attracted to cults. It could even be a hinderance to avoiding them. Many cults in the past had huge success on college campuses among brainy people. It seems that the most vulnerable ones have life situations that the cults take advantage of. But also, intelligent people want to be able to explain life, the universe, and everything.

Mormons encourage education. I don't know about you, but I find the Mormons to be a more fully whacko cult than the JW's. I don't know how anyone could believe that crap. And that's the point- an outsider doesn't get it how someone can be vulnerable. That's part of the ex-JW's problem when talking to outsider family and friends. They assume the ex-JW is "too smart" to fall for that because we are now so well read or knowledgeable about cults.

• metatron
    metatron

It's a fair question we all ask ourselves. Hopefully, it keeps us humble and doesn't wreck all sense of self confidence across a lifetime.

metatron

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'm not sure it's fully understood yet but OTWO is right. Intelligence doesn't really protect one from a cult because cults don't appeal to the left side of your brain nearly as much as they do the right side. Fear, guilt, reward & punishment, etc. are some of the major cult tools of both recruitment and retention.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I married into it out of love. When I left - she stopped loving me. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Same here; graduated at the top of my class, but was extremely insecure, shy, and self-effacing.

I was ripe for the picking.

Syl

• onemore
    onemore

I agree with OTWO, Intelligence has very little to do with being attracted to cults.

It’s a process, and over the years, the WT has learned to master the art of deception, manipulation and intimidation. But we all want to believe (or not believe) in something. The WT presented with confidence almost all the answers to life’s most intriguing questions, and even if didn’t make sense, we rationalized them because they brought a sense of security and intellectual confidence.

We were manipulated. Were they to tell us all that is wrong with their theology, their history and real mode of operation…I doubt we would have joined the JW.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Since leaving, my BS meter is now on high alert. If somebody wants me to believe something, then I must see the proof.

-mentallyfree31-

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I was bornin, so why did it take so long 4 me to get out? that's wat i want to know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit