District Conventions: The Single People/Wanna Be Married Opportunity

by mentallyfree31 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

mentallyfree31,

Sad it may well be, but a pathetic situation, is perhaps a more apt description. Unfortunately, I knew of many in similar circumstances. No sympathy though - they reaped what they deserved.

cheeses.

• steve2
    steve2

The most invisible single JWs at conventions are those who are gay but who know they cannot be"true"to their sexuality and remain in good standing with their fellow JWs. I feel more empathy for these JWs than the JWs who are heterosexual and cannot find a suitable"mate. I know of several single gay JWs in my own region who either killed themselves or entered into "normal"marriages hoping their problem sexuality would be resolved only to find out it didn't. A few of them remained single and tried their best to suppress their sexuality. Still, the JWs condemnation of homosexuality is no different from that of countless other fundamentalist religious groups.

• blondie
    blondie

It's hard to find people to date and/or eventually marry for non-jws...otherwise there wouldn't be so many dating sites on the internet. Jews have their own, Mormons look for other Mormons, others have criteria other than religion, but people are not finding what they are looking for in their general community.

I don't begrudge jws looking at assemblies or conventions, getting referrals through friends, to find someone to marry. It is even harder for jws since there are more women than men in the WTS and women have a short shelf life.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

emptyinside actually has a point.

in the good old days of voulenteering there were good chances of interacting with the opposite sex, instead of scoping.

these interactions built good friendships............ nowaday is a bunch of guys and a bunch of girls just scoping to no avail!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And, once they told me to just meet other men, that took away any and all impetus to even go at all. I refuse to go to these wastefests, especially when it's the same old bullsxxx every year, if anything that could provide any excitement or joy is methodically picked out. And especially when they put age barriers along with every other barrier possible between me and anyone that I might find attractive--they have that problem even in the world, where [age/2]+7=Grow old and die celibate. But, it is even worse in the Jehovah's Witlesses.

Worse still is that they dictate the characteristics I am supposed to be seeking. I know that, unlike men, women have a limit on how old they can be and produce children (which produces additional problems for women seeking younger men). But, if someone is in his 20s or early 30s, they are going to try and say that a woman in her 60s or 70s (and past reproductive age) that is fat and quite ugly (both from age and habits picked up as a witless) is more attractive to him than someone that is young and attractive, so long as the ugly lady is a pio-sneer and very "strong in the truth [sic]". While no one should dissuade anyone from relationships between a man that is 25 or 30 and a woman that is 98, provided both parties are genuinely attracted to each other, to build a religion that allows the hounders to set this up is immoral.

As for age, so long as you are talking adults, that should be no more of a barrier than any of the other qualities. If they can put a fat, ugly, very old pio-sneer "sister" with a young healthy "brother" or a tyrant "brother" with a "sister" that needs her space, then why in hell would they tell me that it is inappropriate for men in their 70s or 80s to date women that are around 18? Yes, both sides would need to adjust no matter which party is younger. But, I see nothing more than intrusions.

Besides this, I have seen more in the way of lines and barriers being put up around congregations. Inter-congregation marriage is almost as looked down on within the witlesses as interracial marriages in the world in the late 1960s, or inter-age marriages are now, or gay marriages during the early 1990s. You are supposed to look within your own congregation--specifically within your own book study or field circus group. Volunteer assignments are given as congregation units these days, not where someone might serve everyone in different congregations.

I hope this comes back to bite them in 20 years time. I hope they have no more 6 year old children to baptize. If I grow old and die celibate, that deprives them of any children they could have had of mine that would have been hounded into being baptized at age 6 (or the world of a potential president that would upset the Establishment or that would solve the energy crisis permanently and cure all diseases).

• teel
    teel
    The only good thing to do was stand above crowds at the stadium and look down at all the sisters...

If the stadium's angle is big enough, it's even better standing below the crowd and looking up at the sisters, all of them in skirts Ok ok, I'll go to my corner.

• only me
    only me

Oh yes, all the Dear hunters.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

LOL....this BANE guy is hilarious.

Bane, Bane, Bane......don't even attempt to compare your wife to the women here. The majority of witness girls are complete trainwrecks due to being taught to be entitled, look for a guy with a 'title', not take care of themselves and no education.

I've never seen so much cheating by married women as I saw as a long time elder in the "Truth".......if they weren't cheating, they were laughing at their husbands for actually wanting sex.

You're delusional.

As for being single in the Truth.....its a private hell for both genders. Its particularly hard on those good sisters who would like to meet a normal 'brother'....... good luck......most of these guys would rather be playing video games in their underwear or go to the other extreme by being overbearing drill sargents.

Being single in the organization is a private death sentence.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    If the stadium's angle is big enough, it's even better standing below the crowd and looking up at the sisters, all of them in skirts

Never had the ability to do that in Qualcomm, but I probably would have done that if I could.

Yeah, I never really had the nerve to try and meet anybody at the conventions. It just felt like the cliques from the congregations were now out in the sunshine. You had to know the right people, the right sets. I didn't figure that out.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah, Bane is funny and completely wrong about the fine women here. I, for one, have been with my dear husband for 18 years and married from 17 years - faithfully in sickness (now) and health. Sorry to prove ya wrong Bane. LMAO

Mrs Jones

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit