Why are they so anal about assembly badges?

by highdose 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• highdose
    highdose

They insist you must wear you and whats more it must be placed in clear view for everyone else to see.

I have been challenged before now " Sister! are you wearing your badge!?" It made me wonder why? They go to such trouble to invite the locals and then make them feel unwanted because they havn't got the badge.

Ok you could say that its the usual thing of wanting to control everyone but i can't help but think there must be something more to it than that?

• dreamweaver09
    dreamweaver09

I use to be dead against the labelling and would never wear them on purpose.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

You should be proud of your Kingdung label Brother/Sister :)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Inviting outsiders is just busywork, they don't expect too many to actually show up. They have to wear their badges so they can have these goofy stories to tell on Sunday about what a "witness" they performed in the convention city. They tell the members to wear them also so that the members feel like JW's while eating or shopping and don't get too comfortable, but act a certain way. Remember that dangerous mind control cults include behaviour control.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I always had my badge on my jacket, which I promptly took off and laid across the back of my seat. When someone would ask about my badge I would just say, "it's on my suit coat."

I hardly ever wore it afterwards, either, and I NEVER wore it once I changed clothes.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Advertise, Advertise, Advertise!

They want you to make sure that you have the minimum pieces of flair!

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Mormons have badges too...it is cult characteristic...they like to show they are different from the rest of the world

• blondie
    blondie

I've gone to many non-jw conventions over the years for work. I even organized conventions. I wore badges then and set up badges for the attendees at my conventions...no big deal. I take it most of you don't go to other conventions? I'm going to a non-jw convention in July and we'll have badges. Helps identify who we are and where we come from, encourages conversation. I can see it being a security measure too although not 100% foolproof.

But wearing them with your fun clothes afterwards is insane. I wonder if you have to wear them on your bathing suit?

Blondie

• undercover
    undercover

The last few years that I attended assemblies/conventions I purposely did not wear the badge. I didn't even bother to pick them up at the counter at the hall. But I have to say no one ever questioned why I didn't have one.

I take it most of you don't go to other conventions? I'm going to a non-jw convention in July and we'll have badges. Helps identify who we are and where we come from, encourages conversation.

I do...mostly for work but occasionally some social events. Conventions, trade shows and the like. For the conventions/trade shows we have to have a "badge" to get in and out. In that situation, I wear it on a lanyard, not pinned on me. For other functions within the convention or show, we'll have to attend "meet and greets" where they hand you a "Hello, my name is...." sticker badge and they expect you to stick it on so others can identify you. I promptly fold it up and throw it away first chance I get. Unless it's a requirement for entry I refuse to wear name badges...just a carry over of resentment of years of being told we had to wear a badge at conventions, I guess.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I havn't been to a jw convention for well over 15 years. But I do wear a badge at trade shows and professional events. They always mess up my name if they are pre-made. The funniest one had my name as Pebble Shart. My name is Debbie Shard. I saved it... tee hee. I have a megnetic one with my company logo and my name (spelled correctly) that I use when conducting seminars...

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit