Apostate Signs At Conventions...Has Anybody Left Because Of That?

by mentallyfree31 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• asilentone
    asilentone

good idea, Gayle! Let fix some hot dogs too, it will smell so good.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I remember in the early 80's at the convention in Wheeling, West Virginia, there was a group of apostates that would protest during intermission. I was quite young and had no idea what they were going on about. I liked being outside during the convention, but the attendants made us go in, because it gave the appearance we were listening to the apostates.

Anyway,it was always the same guy using a megaphone. He had red hair and a mustache. Anyone here?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

OMG, I remember protesters at Wheeling too! I don't remember the red headed guy, but it scared the sh*t out of me. Check you pms.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I was always scared of the protesters when I was little. As an adult I laughed at them.

However I saw a banner on a fence outside the last convention saying only freeminds.org nothing else. I went home and spent the next 2 weeks non-stop reading it. So I think that single banners saying

jwfacts.com

freeminds.org

jehovahs-witness.net

jehovahswitnessrecovery.com

would do the trick

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

but then maybe thats how ALice in wonderland found us and now we have 14 page threads of nothing :-)

• jeovagood
    jeovagood

Every summer there are threads by you anonomous commenters bashing and trashing the hard working brave *apostate* picketers who were active before there was internet.

The purpose was tho appeal to WORLDLY passersby many who cheered us on and knew all about what was going on and the news crews who have shown my team on the front page that weekend.

THINK if you saw picket protesters outside any church group like Scientology or RCC priest pedophile you would not be so fact to label them nuts

bye

• Room 215
    Room 215

The one problem with any sort of picketing is it reinforces the JW notion that " apostates" (1) are organized and militant; and (2) out to suck them over to the "dark side" like some sort of satanic vacuum cleaner. It takes an uncommonly courageous JW to engage any of them in conversation, especially in plain view of passers-by.

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

Saw the signs as a kid growing up as a JW. But like many here, my parents demonized them so severely I was afraid to even look and read what the signs said beyond the bold "1975" that populated many of them back then.

I wish they'd been effective in getting masses of JWs to leave, though.

• carla
    carla

I find it kind of funny and ironic that jw's at assemblies think so called 'apostates' are the ones who are nuts.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

we were just told they were disgruntled ex witnesses. I can see why some would want to do it. Before the internet it must have felt like the only way to get heard.

I think too that today, it would serve a different purpose than feaking out the JWs.

Now days, the small wacko religions are getting a hammering in the media. Here in Oz, the scientologists, the exclusive bretheren and other tiny fringe groups are getting the spotlight from some as high as parliment.

A group protesting with those banners could well make those in power (social political/legal) take a bit more notice of issues like shunning and child molesters.

If i did not have kids inside that i want to free i would not hesitate to be involved, but my city is a small place and word would travel fast. But to be in it to try and turn actual witnesses... no, i dont think thats an effective method nowdays.

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit