Apostate Signs At Conventions...Has Anybody Left Because Of That?

by mentallyfree31 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

The people who do that are ALWAYS members of other cults peddling their own brand of craziness. No rational person (atheist / agnostic) would show up at a convention & do that.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I always heard about them. I never saw any though. I was deathly afraid of encountering one. One year though, one of the ladies room "attendants" made an announcement to us in the restroom to be careful because someone had been leaving apostate pamphlets in the stalls, and if we saw one to bring it out for them to destroy. I think the subtle pamphlet/flyer left somewhere would be more productive than people carrying signs and shouting.

• asilentone
    asilentone

cagefighter, David Reed was the PO many years ago, yes he was an elder. You can find his story somewhere on the internet. He is very fundy.

• blondie
    blondie

Blood on the Altar: Confessions of a Jehovah's Witness Minister

I guess this title says it all regarding his jw status.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Wow, I never knew that. I thought he just did a lot of research. I picked up "Understanding JW's" In the book store of Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church a couple of years ago and learned about Beth-Sarim and a lot of good stuff. It really helped me put it behind me. I think I loaned it to a friend from this site, she has yet to return it... Gotta stop handing out my books.

• Girlie
    Girlie

At last year's convention, a guy was by himself with a picket sign. A couple of jws approached him and made him lower the sign and talked with him. Despite that, I hope he said something to them to cause them to think. The majority paid him no mind.

• sherah
    sherah

I was freaked i when i was younger but the last time i saw apostates picketing i was secretly thinking "Fight the Power"!

• asilentone
    asilentone

Cagefighter, you have PM.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I have only seen them on two occasions. One year, there were a half a dozen or so holding up signs at the entrance of the convention facility near the street. Then about two years ago, there were two ladies that entered the facility and I heard later they were putting "apostate literature" in the ladies room. The two ladies were dressed in jeans/tshirts, so they attracted a lot of attention immediately when they entered the facility.

-mentallyfree31-

• EmergedAsMe
    EmergedAsMe

Just a thought: If anyone did go the sign protest route, it would be a good idea to keep them very simple and easy to read at a glance. I always tried to read signs, but couldn't do so easily without feeling like it was obvious what I was trying to do. I was always curious about what drove people who had left to be so passionate about protesting. I was never sure if it was a case of "We lost our toy so we want you all to lose yours too" or "There is something seriously wrong with the WTS and we feel compelled to let people know". Now I know what drove people to brandish signs at assemblies.

I also think literature would make more of a splash - especially if in individual bathroom stalls (other JW can't see if you read it, or put it in a pocket).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit