Why do I suddenly get stupid when the elders talk to me

by JWinprotest 41 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Since learning this scripture and applying it to The Publishing Religion I feel much more empowered.

(Deuteronomy 18:20-22) "‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. And in case you should say in your heart: "How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?" when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.'

No fear!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I think we have all experienced that feeling .....

Recently what has helped me speak my mind is thinking ahead what I want to say ,and totally realizing these guys are just everyday average people . I no longer look at them as men in authority positions . It helps to start the conversation off putting them on level ground with yourself ,such as talking about some past event you shared with them not in a KH setting ,like picnic ,camping ect .....That way it helps put in your mind they are your equal nothing more .

I find it helpful to listen first ....slowly think about what they have said ......respond slowly ....take a deep breath . Then once I start talking I pretty much don't take a breath until I have said my peace ....not giving them room to roadblock my thoughts .

Adamantly stick to your word . My thing is that I refuse to share any personal business with them . I repeat , repeat and repeat again ...'it is none of your business.' Conversations are getting shorter with them at least ,and I am sure they are getting fed up . They are shocked to have a woman speak to them honestly ,openly and un-afraid of them .

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

They are shocked to have a woman speak to them honestly, openly and un-afraid of them .

You go girl, showing any kind of subjective weakness to this stupid dip shits only culminates problems.

They take the position of elders for the own power and personal stature..

If you know how to sweep dirt off your front porch then you know how to get rid a persistent annoying JW.

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

Thanks for the comments everyone, it's nice to know I'm not alone and I don't have some sort of short circuit thing going on.

I think part of it is that I'm not totally free yet and I don't want to say anything incriminating. I have a tendency of going off when I get worked up. So I'm a bit handicapped that way.

My wife is trying to convince me that the less I say the more it frustrates them. She thinks they come around to try and pin something on me, but if I just smile and be nice to them, they leave empty handed. If that's true I guess I can claim somewhat of a victory. But still, it does nothing for the inner fury that's brewing that I want to unleash Bruce Lee style.

• TD
    TD

I know this probably doesn't help much, but these types of conversations get much easier as you get a little older.

It doesn't matter if it's a JW or a used car salesman; when they are younger and more transparent than your children, it's almost too easy.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JWinprotest,

Please forgive me, but this post makes me angry. I don't know how old you are but the only excuse would be if you are a minor who lives at home and who is forced to attend the meetings. If you don't attend, why is it that you are in the position of being 'visited'? Something like this usually happens after a phone call by them (which you don't have to answer, by the way). The problem lies in the fact you feel you 'have to put them in their place'. Leave this to somebody who has been out for many years and is so inclined to fight. You would be better served by ignoring them or refusing to meet with them. If you are 'fading' and trying to please your family, don't meet with them.

It seems to me that people here (who are faders like me) seem to feel they have to be 'polite' when the hounders see them. I don't feel intimidated by these morons and none of you should either.

You don't have to let yourself be cornered and you certainly don't have to answer the door if they come a knockin'.

• undercover
    undercover

Here's what I think happens (at least with the more logical minded folks):

When preparing to debate something with your adversary, you anticipate many different angles...all from a logical point of view. You can argue certain pet peeve subjects every which way from Sunday...logically and analytically...in your head. You can even have some of the more obvious JW argument busters ready...

but then... along comes the JW elder/friend/family member and they don't stick to the script that you've written in your head. That's basically what you've done...written a play with an imaginary person who thinks like you do now... but most JWs don't think logically...if at all. They react and they react with the pre-programmed responses from the WTS. Even when you think you know those reactions, they then jump around on you. They bring up shit that ain't got nuthin to do with the subject at hand and before you know it, you're off arguing on something that has nothing to do with what you wanted to talk about...and quite frankly something that you haven't really researched that deeply.

So in the end they come off looking like they put you in your place because they managed to divert the conversation/debate to an area where they take charge.

What you have to do is stick with just one (or at most, two) subjects...subjects that bug you the most. And know them inside and out. Become an expert on it. And if/when you do get in a discussion again, you stick to that one subject and you don't allow them to deflect the argument. JWs are masters at deflecting. Not so much because they're good at it or well trained at it...it's a natural defense mechanism. When you get backed into a corner, you look to get out of it, so you deflect attention and hope to escape. When they start to deflect, you can know that you're going in the right direction. So you have to keep the pressure on and don't let em slip around and outflank you with "But where will you go" shit reasoning.

But even then, you ain't gonna win nothing against a JW that wants to believe. They're too indoctrinated. Only when someone is questioning or doubting themselves will they look at evidence against their belief system. Good luck anyway...

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

In your position you are probably right ....saying nothing is the most effective route at the moment . My husband is king at giving no information ! It drives people crazy .

You can come here and vent what you really wanted to say ! Hopefully your situation will change soon and you will be free from it all .

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

It's because we were trained to not argue with them. Old habits are hard to break.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I consider myself to be pretty intelligent and can normally hold my own rather well...but it was always the same for me ...as soon as I was faced with a couple of elders (even when I wasnt in trouble) I seemed to just speak drivel like some stupid moron.

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit