30 minute C.O. talk against the phrase "Take It Easy"

by lepermessiah 20 Replies latest jw friends

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Dont forget Andy Taylor from Duran Duran!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5dg-C0TR_I

• undercover
    undercover
    Dont forget Andy Taylor from Duran Duran!

Better yet is Andy Taylor from Mayberry, NC.

There was an episode where an out of town preacher gave a sermon and told everyone the opposite of what Leper's CO said. He said everyone needed to slow down and enjoy life.

Hilarity ensued when Andy, Barney, Gomer and a few other townsfolk tried to put the bandstand back together and have an old fashioined Sunday afternoon band recital. They worked themselves to a frazzle to try to make it happen but everything went wrong.

They gave up and everyone was sitting around on the porch at Andy's house when the preacher came by. They asked him to stay for ice cream or something but he said he had to go see a church in the next town, but he was glad they were taking his advice about relaxing. Gomer tried to tell him that weren't relaxing, they were pooped, but Andy cut him off and said, "what Gomer's trying to say Reverend is, ... 'take it easy' ". The reverend saw then that he wasn't taking his own advice as he was rushing around.

undercover - of the "I watched too much TV as a kid" class

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Gomer tried to tell him that weren't relaxing, they were pooped, but Andy cut him off and said, "what Gomer's trying to say Reverend is, ... 'take it easy' ". The reverend saw then that he wasn't taking his own advice as he was rushing around.

LOL - Thats awesome Undercover!!

• Dagney
    Dagney

We had a CO that went off on the phrase "hanging in there." He stated we should never say that in response if asked how we are doing. Instead, we were to say we were "standing firm and remaining faithful."

Take it easy, don't work too hard, hanging in there, bulletin board, podium etc. Worthwhile subjects to address the flock taking up precious hours of a hectic life?

They are just nuts.

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

If he had a prob with the phrase "take it easy" you could replace it with "relax dude" or "chill out hommie" or something like that.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

LOL. I recall when I was just a stupid little study™ back in 1983. After the meeting, as I was leaving, I said "Take it easy" to a MS. He went into a 5 minute tirade, informing me that JWs never "take it easy" like "worldly" people do. They "exert themselves vigerously", blah, blah, blah. Then he asked me what I was doing that afternoon. I said "Taking it easy with my BBQ and a cold beer". He was not impressed.

W

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Whatever happened to Jesus' yoke kindly and the load light? I would like to make that hounder-hounder run himself ragged straight from 5:30 in the morning until 1:30 the next morning, pushing him to the max. There would be no "take it easy" breaks of ANY kind: No warming up or cooling off breaks, no coffee breaks, no nothing. As soon as one street is done, it's straight to the next at 160 MPH--once that territory is done, it's straight to the next at 160 MPH. Once all the territories are done, it's back to the not at homes. Once all those are dead, I gather up all the territories and make him work them again.

And, when he insists on a break, I tell him "I thought you said that we as Christians never take it easy".

• tec
    tec

Take it easy to me just means to relax. Don't stress out and worry about life's daily problems. Don't exert yourself to the point of exhaustion; you're no good to anyone then.

Matthew 6:25 - Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.

1Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Even Jesus told his disciples to go and rest when they were getting overwhelmed.

Tammy

('course, if you say relax to a stressed out/irate person, that really REALLY sets them off )

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I wonder if that elder has the same problem with "RELAX"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyl5DlrsU90

• TD
    TD

--Funny. I heard the same talk around 1968 - 1969. The speaker was a CO named Anthony Conte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit