Ugh! I just got a package in the mail from my mom

by doublelife 18 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

She sent me about seven magazines including the April 15, 2010 study cult edition. It's the one with the new definition of generation. I wonder if she's read it yet. This is the perfect opportunity for me to say something to her about it but I'm not really sure how to handle it.

Anyways, I had a quick look through some of the articles and a couple of things pissed me off. One was the May 15, 2010 study article titled "Women, Why Submit to Headship?" As someone who is about to leave my husband in two days, this really irks me. I'm so glad I've broken through the mind control.

The other one is the June 2010 Awake on page 24, "Why I Gave Up a Lucrative Career" The article is about a woman who was a professional singer in Mexico. At the beginning of the article she said she made enough money to be able to "enjoy such luxuries as jewels, mink coats, and penthouse living." By the end of the article, she makes tamales and sells them on the street to support her pioneering. I hate this cult.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Hey doublelife I can relate. I receive one of those lovely care packages by mail regularly from family too. This is a good way to strike up a conversation about the generation issue. You know that with JWs they assume all our info is off the net, so they shut us down whenever we start talking about anything negative. But with the study article in hand, you can go to mom and be like, "what's this about?" That's what I did with my mom and the problem I had with the Nov 15, 2009 private issue. I wonder why our JW families keep giving us the secret WTs. The secret issue is supposed to be for those who are indoctrinated on a regular basis. I'm so inactive that when I look at them now, all I can see is mind control. That's why they don't want the public to see them.

• man in black
    man in black

Just appreciate the fact that you have a Mother who cares,,,,,,,, perhaps not in the way you would want though.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Every WBT$ story I have been able to find the source of..

Has proved to be BullShit..

I doubt the Awake story is any different..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• doublelife
    doublelife

serenitynow!: I do plan on asking her about it. And I'm surprised she sent me the private edition too. Maybe she thinks that if I have it I'll want to go back to the meeting.

man in black: You're right. I do appreciate that she cares. I know having me become inactive is heartbreaking for her. She invited me to go to the assembly last week and when I told her that I don't want to go, I could hear her trying to told back the tears. It's hard to put her through this.

OUTLAW: After reading your comment I wondered the same thing. So I google the singer's name and this is the only thing I found:

http://media9watch.blogspot.com/2010/04/debate-about-tv-impact_30.html

• I quit!
    I quit!

If this Mexican singer was making that much money I'm sure she would have music out there you could listen to and would be well known in the Hispanic community. What is her name? I think Outlaw is right...their making it up. Selling tamales on a street corner in Mexico is only one step away from being a beggar. Only the Watchtower would brag about dragging someone down to that level.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I had another thought. Maybe she is insane. I knew several witnesses who had fantastic stories of their great exploits before they became Witnesses. After I got to know them I caught them in lies and new they were making their stories up. In one case I'm pretty sure the person was delusional and believed it themself. I'm sure if they told their story to the WT they would print it as fact without ever checking it out because it would be good propaganda.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I just throw them away and before I get mad.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother used to do that when we lived in Indiana. My kids and I would rip them up and throw them away.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I've been in the same situation with my mom. Got the sick feeling looking at the literature, got mad at her for sending it, furious at the WTBS for printing it...the stuff they write is ridiculous and harmful at the same time.

I didn't like all those emotions for that crap so I regrouped. My mother in is a cult, scared to death for my destruction...she is trying to save me. I resented she had to harbor so much fear for my eternal life. She was a simple woman...nothing I could ever say would change her, so I just kept the peace...and she was elderly...she was already worried to death.

So what I ended up doing is just thanking her for the package if asked. If she asked if read it, I'd just say "not yet." And it ended there. I decided I would take the power back, throw the garbage away and move forward.

Wish you all the best. Sorry anybody has to go through this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit