Ladies, how do you feel about be called a "weaker vessel"?

by sacolton 50 Replies latest jw friends

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

so who lives the longest, men or women?

• tiki
    tiki

I like Blondie's testosterone overview.

Regarding the "weaker vessel"...I always thought it rather insulting, but the Bible was written in stiffly patriarchal times and women were considered sub-prime beings, much as you see in Islamic cultures today. The patriarchal society succeeded in stifling the female for eons, but that has gradually given way in enlightened areas and women are able to function on even footing with men.

We have women doctors, women in politics, women lawyers, corporate executives... characters from both the Old, Hebrew testament as well as the New Greek would be in shock and total disruption of the senses if they saw life as it is today.

I believe in the wonderful differences between men and women and appreciate how if you have the right man, you can be a perfect unit together. Or a man having the right woman. Too often it doesn't work out that way.... Some women are far stronger bodily than some men, and some are not. Some are far more brilliant, others not... we are all people...human beings.... with much variety of personality, capabilities, talents and capacities.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Lord, don't tell me a JW actually interpreted that scripture correctly!? *faints*

Yes, it says to assign honor as to a weaker vessel, which means to treat the women in your life with more courtesy and respect than you do men, which is nothing bad. A weaker vessel, Paul goes on to explain, is often more precious and of more value.

So, it simply means to quit treating women like something merely to satisfy your needs and be a nice guy. Paul was married once, he probably knew how far you get with women treating them without consideration, which is nowhere! LOL

The fact that men have sometimes used these words to treat women like they're of less value than men is not only piggish, it's a total misapplication.

• Denial
    Denial

back when i went to church, i knew a sister who said that she would never get married because there was no way she could let a man be boss over her.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    back when i went to church, i knew a sister who said that she would never get married because there was no way she could let a man be boss over her.

It's funny, I felt that exact same way... when I was *seven*. Then I grew up and realized there were more options than only those that were put before me.

Jackie

• loosie
    loosie

I'd like to see the male vessel push a baby out of his P*^# like the weaker vessel does.

• White Dove
    White Dove

And, think of that anus ripping to the size of the watermelon, not stretching to that size. Yes, we rip when we give birth.

I never thought of that scripture applying to me, because I never viewed myself as weak.

I was a very strong kid and teenager, and now I'm a smart, well educated adult.

I see that I've always been a human, not a weaker person.

• StAnn
    StAnn

There was a girl named Oleeda Buehner in my cong. She was an Amazon, I swear. She unloaded an entire wagon full of square bales of hay into our loft by herself and stacked them in the loft in only 30 minutes. And she didn't have an elevator, just tossed those babies up into the loft and then jumped up in there every few minutes to clear the space. She married a JW but they got divorced and he said it was because she beat him so often. (Of course, he was such a puss that I'm sure he deserved it.)

She makes the best pie crust in the world. She's a REAL woman, can do the man's work and excel in homemaking.

Oleeda, if you're out there, you're my hero.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

SAColton, wah. Just like my husband. When he's sick, he wants me to get him a candy bar and a comic book. It took me a couple of years to realize he was serious when he asked me to go out and get him those things.

He likes the Batman.

StAnn

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

I have always figured that the "weaker vessal" thing was to compare women to a fine porcelain vase. Men, in comparison would be steel buckets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit