Ladies, how do you feel about be called a "weaker vessel"?

by sacolton 50 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

It no longer bothers me as I no longer believe in the christian god or the book he's supposed to have inspired, but...

I grew up hearing this quoted time and time again by my mother who would use it to prove to herself and others that she needed a man to live. While the WT tried to make it clear that it referred to being more delicate which meant more precious and not inferior, this was usually not how most saw things. It always made me feel that witness men saw women as second best and though I personally did not feel this way I could not do anything about it. It frustrated me.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has had varying interpretations of this scripture, many of them insulting: 1) that women are weak emotionally 2) that their menstrual cycle renders them weak mentally, emotionally, and physically 3) that they are inferior mentally.

The most recent statement on this shows an adjustment. But remember that Rutherford was the one who was reported to have said:

In 1941, the JW’s believed that the end of the world would come in a matter of months. In view of the closeness of the Millennium, Judge Rutherford advised JW’s not to get married, saying, "Why, then, should a man who has the prospect before him of being of the great multitude now tie himself up to a stack of bones and hank of hair?"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/104671/1/Judge-Rutherford-on-radio-God-says-Quit-making-Jackasses-of-yourselves

*** w05 3/1 pp. 17-18 Wise Guidance for Married Couples ***

"A Weaker Vessel" in What Way?

8 In saying that the woman is "a weaker vessel," Peter did not mean that women are weaker than men intellectually or spiritually. True, many Christian men have privileges in the congregation that women do not expect to have, and in the family women are subject to their husbands. (1 Corinthians 14:35; 1 Timothy 2:12) Nevertheless, the same faith, endurance, and high moral standards are required of all, men and women. And as Peter said, both husband and wife are "heirs . . . of the undeserved favor of life." As far as salvation is concerned, they have equal standing before Jehovah God. (Galatians 3:28) Peter was writing to anointed Christians of the first century. Hence, his words reminded Christian husbands that as "joint heirs with Christ," they and their wives had the same heavenly hope. (Romans 8:17) One day, both would serve as priests and kings in God’s heavenly Kingdom!—Revelation 5:10.

9 Anointed Christian wives were in no way inferior to their anointed Christian husbands. And in principle, the same is true of those with an earthly hope. Both men and women of the "great crowd" wash their robes and make them white in the blood of the Lamb. Both men and women share "day and night" in the worldwide shout of praise to Jehovah. (Revelation 7:9, 10, 14, 15) Both men and women look forward to enjoying "the glorious freedom of the children of God," when they will delight in "the real life." (Romans 8:21; 1 Timothy 6:19) Whether of the anointed or of the other sheep, all Christians serve Jehovah together as "one flock" under "one shepherd." (John 10:16) What a compelling reason for a Christian husband and wife to show due honor to each other!

10 In what way, then, are women ‘weaker vessels’? Perhaps Peter was referring to the fact that, on average, women are smaller and have less physical strength than men. In addition, in our imperfect state, the wonderful privilege of bearing children exacts a physical toll. Women of childbearing age may be subject to physical discomforts on a regular basis. They certainly need special care and consideration when experiencing such discomforts or enduring the exhausting trials of being pregnant and giving birth. A husband who assigns honor to his wife, recognizing the support that she needs, will contribute greatly to the success of the marriage.

-----------------------------------------------------

Past statements that were insulting:

*** w51 5/1 p. 279 Making a Success of Marriage ***Consider the biological constitution of the female, her limitations, her cycles, her vicissitudes, which greatly affect her mental processes, disposition and temperament. God does not overlook these feminine restrictions; neither should husbands. (Lev. 18:19; 20:18)

*** w80 5/15 p. 8 Why "Be in Subjection"? ***Because of her vicissitudes or cyclic emotional nature her husband is required to show patience, kindness, consideration..—Lev. 18:19; 20:18; 1 Pet. 3:7-9,

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Weaker vessel? HA! My ex could move furniture with the best of 'em. We had no choice. None of the loving brothers™ showed up.

W

• dudeson
    dudeson

One elder explained this by saying something to the effect that to have a "weaker" vessel you must first have a "weak" vessel; obviously the "weak" being the men.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Blondie, I work with a bunch of women, and although I find point number 3 insulting to women, there's some truth to point 1, and 2.

• blondie
    blondie

Yah, misery, that's because men as a group lack any emotions, but they do have a hormonal cycle, except they are raging daily with testosterone .

So how does the hormonal part apply to women who have gone through menopause?

Male Hormone Cycle

Women aren’t the only ones with a hormone cycle. Men have a hormone cycle, too. But there are big differences. For instance, instead of having a month-long hormone cycle like gals, males go through an entire hormone cycle in a single 24 hours.

Another difference: Men have 10 times more testosterone than women, so their hormone cycle is usually all about how their testosterone affects them. A man’s body does make estrogen and progesterone like a woman’s body, though in much smaller amounts.

So, what’s a man’s 24-hour hormone cycle look like? His testosterone is highest in the morning when he wakes up and gets lower and lower as the day goes on.

Here’s some of what you can expect throughout his day:

Morning: Testosterone is highest
    His hormone-cast: He’s at his most energetic, talkative, aggressive, focused, competitive, independent, impulsive and confident. He also may be antsy or quick to anger and is more likely to say “no” to a favor or request for something you want, like a raise. His virility is at its peak. So is his ability to read maps and do spatial thinking.
    Best time to… Have him put together a piece of furniture or fix a shelf, have him compete in a contest, give him a project to do solo, figure out the best driving route and initiate passionate sex.

Afternoon: Testosterone is in the middle of its cycleHis hormone-cast: He’s a tad mellower than his morning self, but isn’t going on empty just yet. As a result, he’s still upbeat, driven and focused, but not as quick to anger. He’s more open to working with others rather than going solo. You’ll also catch him smiling more now than in the morning.
    Best time to… Invite him to work as part of a team, have him talk to or pitch clients or customers, brainstorm ideas with him.

Evening: Testosterone is lowestHis hormone-cast: He’s more passive, agreeable and low-key. He may feel tired or fuzzy. His libido hits its lowest point. For some men, this low point is still quite high, making him interested and capable of passionate sex; in other men, they may feel too tired to have sex or have difficulty maintaining an erection.
    Best time to… Ask him for a favor, request a raise (ask after 4 pm if your workday ends at 5 pm), get him to agree to the pink living room curtains or pose any other question that you need a “yes” to. He’ll be more likely to give in now than in the earlier hours of the day.

The exceptions: A man’s testosterone is affected by things he does. For instance, his testosterone level rises when he drinks alcohol or caffeine, sees an action movie, plays video games or competes in or anticipates a sports game or game of chess. His testosterone also rises when he simply watches his favorite team compete. While his testosterone stays high if his team wins, it plunges if his team loses, making him feel blue, cranky or lethargic.

http://www.healthtree.com/articles/pms/basics/male-pms.php

• peaches
    peaches

there are physical and mentally weak women,,,,as well as physical and mentally weak men....so,,,,who is stronger....in my opinion,,,,it all depends on what the situation is.....as for being the "weaker vessel"....it is what the bible states....

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

touche' Blondie, touche'.

• Scully
    Scully

Yeah, right. Weaker vessel, my eye!

Let's figure it out, shall we?

Scully: childbirth x 3 (two of which were unmedicated), it's business as usual when she's sick (housework, job, etc.)

Mr. Scully: takes a day off work if he stubs a toe, whines like a mofo when he has a cold, and moans like he's trying to raise the dead if he gets a paper cut. (IOW, he's annoying as hell!)

• sacolton
    sacolton

Yeah, but we "stronger vessels" gotta lift heavy beer from the refrigerator to the couch ... and open those bottles. It's a hard life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit