Did you swear when you were a JW?

by St George of England 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• St George of England
    St George of England

I have noticed that quite a few people here swear and use profanity. An elder once told me this is quite common in the congregations he has been in. I was raised in so never allowed to swear and never got into the habit. Is it common to use bad language as a JW or is it a habit that develops on leaving?

George

• blondie
    blondie

hell and damn from time to time but not at the KH or around other jws. I did hear a lot of men swear at quickbuilds.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Ephesians 5:3-4 Don't allow love to turn into lust, setting off a downhill slide into sexual promiscuity, filthy practices, or bullying greed. Though some tongues just love the taste of gossip, those who follow Jesus have better uses for language than that. Don't talk dirty or silly. That kind of talk doesn't fit our style. Thanksgiving is our dialect. MSG

I kept this in the back of my mind at all times, so, no, I never swore.

Syl

• crapola
    crapola

Sometimes.

• undercover
    undercover

I did cuss as a JW but not to the extent I do now, nor as openly. Once I was out, I pretty much let any inhibitions to my language go as well.

Most JWs in my area do not cuss, at least not habitually. They may slip from time to time, but by and large most of the dubs in my area avoided using bad language. Of course, younger ones tend to push the envelope more than more "mature" ones or older ones.

I have noticed that guys I grew up with that could use some colorful language when we were younger have cleaned up their act as they grew up and progressed in the "truth". Pressure to conform to the group...

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I did not swear as a JW. I was afraid Sky Daddy would kill me. Bastard.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I swore. I carefully picked out close JW friends that cursed as well, so then it was a party when we got together. No words were off limits. This was only a handful of people however.

-mentallyfree31-

• blondie
    blondie

I saw jws that were so proud about not swearing who gossiped constantly, tearing down the reputations of even family and close friends. I find a damn or hell less damaging.

• JWoods
    JWoods

My JW ex-wifes father once was overheard calling his dog a "son-of-a-bitch". He was called up before the other elders (he was an elder at the time) for language by a young newbie wanna-be bethel boy.

We excused him on the technical grounds that since a female dog is correctly called a "bitch", the dog actually WAS a "son-of-a-bitch" and this was not actually cursing.

Please let me assure you that this story is absolutely the truth - as bizarre as it may sound.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I found young j-dubs i knew swore more than regular kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit