All I can say about thr finale of "Lost" is...

by changeling 101 Replies latest jw friends

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I thought it was a great ending, even though i didn't understand completely until today. The blog below helped me.

I wonder if we'll ever see any of these actors again?

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2010/05/24/lost-series-finale-review/

If there was any big surprise last night, it was how overtly Christian in its imagery and message the series proved to be. Its heavily underscored lesson was that everyone was forgiven — that word was used over and over. And the water at the Magic Glowing Source was used for the purposes of transubstantiation: “Drink this,” Jack was told upon being handed water, a phrase later repeated when Jack gave water to Hugo. Given the liquid’s effect particularly on Jack, the dialogue might just as well have quoted directly from a Communion service: “Drink this, for this is my body which is given unto you. Do this, in remembrance of me.”

For if there was one thing we can probably all agree upon, in the end, Jack Shephard was a Christ figure whose sacrifice saved many other people. The imagery could not have been more specific: Jack’s questioning and obeying of his father; his leadership of a small group of disciples; his final ascension (in TV terms, in a glowing white light). Even the piercing of his side by Locke/Man In Black was in the part of his body where Christ was speared while in agony on the crucifying cross.

But for most of its long but rarely boring length, the final Lost did not huff and puff and labor toward a heavy metaphorical conclusion. Instead, it was, well, pretty delightful, full of reunions that were both emotional and funny (how about that re-meet-cute between Sawyer and Juliet at the vending machine?). There were sweet little jokes, such as when, 90 minutes into a two-and-a-half-hour show, someone said, “It sure don’t feel like it’s over.” I don’t know how it’ll play with hardcore Losties, but I was glad to see a fan favorite such as Hurley not only avoid great suffering, but become the most important assistant in Jack’s glorification. Hurley was always the most lovable character in Lost, and it turned out that if he represented anything, it was Love itself.

The metaphor that had been used weeks earlier, about the cork in a wine bottle that kept evil from escaping — that was dramatized well, when Desmond first uncorked the island and it did indeed look as though Evil had been loosed upon the island world. Then it had to be, er, re-corked by Jack, to refute Evil’s pronouncement that “you died for nothing.” Quite the opposite: Jack died so that everyone could gather in the Church of the Sideways and have a splendid wrap-party of the soul.

• spawn
    spawn

the only thing that was Lost was the plot, the acting and the way absolute trash can last for so long on the TV. Simple telly for simple people!!!

• changeling
    changeling

Deceived: yes, I would watch it.

Keyser: I know what happend to the Kwon baby, but in the finale, the sideways Jin and Sun know they are expecting that baby but in the end the baby is not with them. I figure she is not dead yet or the reality where she was born did not happen.

Claire's baby is in the church so does this mean he died? Last we saw him he was with Sun's mother when Sun returned to the island (which is the same relity where the Kwon baby was born).

• changeling
    changeling

Spawn said:

"the only thing that was Lost was the plot, the acting and the way absolute trash can last for so long on the TV. Simple telly for simple people!!!"

I assume from your response you never watched the show. The plot was complex and, like other posters mentioned, about the characters and their lives. The acting was very good and I expect quite a few Emmy nominations this year. Simple??? Far from it. Your comment about the viewer's "simple minds" was incorrect and very, very rude.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

wow Spawn - do you knock children off see saws and piss on your neighbor's flowers too? Just because something doesn't interest you shouldn't ever give you license to berate those who enjoy it.

• spawn
    spawn

free speech in a free world that is what a forum is all about not "Kiss Arse" and join the clique

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I loved it!! I guessed it from the start....They all died and were in purgatory being tested! Some moved on to what was next(whatever your belief) and some like Michael got stuck on the island because he failed the test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npUvY-Nlv_k

• truthseekeriam
  • changeling
    changeling

I'm all for free speech, spawn; just don't care for rudeness. And if you don't want to join what you call a "clique" let those who do alone.

• Terry
    Terry

What happened on the island was real.

The people and the mysterious "happenings" were real.

The island is a singularity in space/time life/death good/evil.

The bomb Juliet exploded did NOT REALLY explode. (More about that in a minute.)

What happened after the bombshaft incident on the island was actually happening (on the island; not the sideways world).

Those who got off the island got off. Those who didn't did not.

Here is where people go wrong...

The sideways world (alternate existence in imaginary time) is a limbo transitional state of BETWEEN two worlds: this one and the next.)

As each person died their natural death in real life their soul (or consciousness) entered the spiritual limbo AS THOUGH they had never crashed.

Why?

The dead simply cannot handle the transition without help.

The intertwining of their "limbo" lives (they didn't seem to know each other) is that confused state (after death).

An emissary (Desmond) has to jolt them into awareness of just what their life meant and who their best friends and soul mates really were.

Why? So they can evaluate what the meaning of their life was and "let go" to move on to the NEXT stage of afterlife.

Jack never made it off the island. He died in the cane break.

He never had a son.

The imaginary time world was just a pious fiction (for all of them) to gradually allow them the experience of transition.

Each (through Desmond's assistance) comes to reckon with the best/worst of their life through meeting the soul mate and best friend from the Island.

Once ALL OF THEM had come to acceptance (and inward peace) the final chapel scene could take place.

Jack (at the point of his own death in the cane break) realized he had made it possible for the escape and that his life had touched so many others in a positive way. He was no longer LOST.

The chapel fills with light and the next stage of spiritual existence begins.

Those who cannot accept and move on (Ben, Michael, etc.) must linger awhile....some, to haunt the island as confused "whisperers" in a sort of Hellish non-existence.

p.s. It seems really weird to me that people who never watched (or, if they did, did not watch carefully) can actually have an OPINION.

This series, the more you invest emotionally, the more you get from the finale. It is impossible to just pop in at the end and care or understand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit