All I can say about thr finale of "Lost" is...

by changeling 101 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

While the ending did not totally thrill me, I would not have missed the Lost experience for anything.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I think that the last episode was first and foremost a nod to the hardcore fans. The show wasn't about the island. It was about the people. In the end, the Island was a backdrop to some interesting people put in an unusual circumstance, and it allowed some great human drama to be played out.

This was a show that mastered the backstory as a way of storytelling. You saw where they were, and those little backstories was what caught everyones attention. What made them LOST wasn't that they were stranded on the island. They were already LOST. The island became a metaphor (imo) for something that relatively few it seems are succesful at; the need for introspection. Being stranded allowed everyone to behave to either their lowest (Ben) or highest (Locke) denominator. It allowed them to be who they really were and to reflect on their past, to have a showdown with themselves, to look in the mirror and ask "Is that who I was? Is this who I am? Is this what I want the rest of my life to be about?"

The Island gave us all that we needed to fill in the blanks, myths and legends, good and evil, fear and doubt, faith vs logic. Love vs fear. (the love vs fear angle, which I admit is my rorshach test, was always very compelling to me, summed up best by Locke)

I kept up with it somewhat, but I lost track of LOST shortly after I left the cult. (only one set of myths to figure out at a time) I am going to rewatch from episode one. For me, the show was actually simple. I never got why people tried to "figure out" the nuances, like the island, and all the bad guys and time morphs. Imo, it was all a device to tell simple human stories of LOST people. To me, the final episode validated that for me more then anything.

• moshe
    moshe

I am happy that I avoided six years of stupidity. I might have watched all of 10 minutes of that show.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

The thing that I got out of it was why they were brought to the island.

While I forget the exact quote, Jacob said that he picked each candidate because they had nothing to live for off the island. So while it was all a bunch of strategy and manipulation for Jacob, in the end each member made a deep connection and found a purpose on the island.

While I knew they couldn't answer everything, it bugged me that the Dharma iniative that played a huge role in the first 5 seasons was completely ignored and written out of the show at the end.

In all, I think the last season really highlighted how chaotic the writing had become over the years. The ending annoyed me because it required you to forget most of what you had already watched and presented new interpretations of the facts.

It wasn't a bad ending. For me, it was just unsatisfying.

• Frank75
    Frank75

Figured they were all dead in season one....gave up on the BS in season 3.....They literally "lost" us!

Frank75

• brinjen
    brinjen
    BRINJEN,
    WTF are you doing here?

I think I got "lost" (yep, bad, bad, baaaad pun was intended).

Kiss me!

• shamus100
    shamus100

Oh love...

You shouldn't have gone past the sign now. I've gone and torn your face off....

• Terry
    Terry

While I knew they couldn't answer everything, it bugged me that the Dharma iniative that played a huge role in the first 5 seasons was completely ignored and written out of the show at the end.

The Dharma Initiative is an example of what the (faux) Mother was warning Jacob about and the very thing the Island must be protected from.

Once men discover the powers and properties of the "light" they want more!

Hurley became the new Island protector to prevent a new exploitation by a latter day Dharma style enterprise.

Charles Widmore certainly wasn't through with the Island's "possibilities", was he?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

The writers were making it up as they went along. It was always, "Wouldn't it be cool if this were to happen?" They didn't know how to end it and the final episode still left a lot of questions unanswered.

But that's okay because "Lost" for me became about the characters. And those characters were unforgettable.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "Hurley became the new Island protector to prevent a new exploitation by a latter day Dharma style enterprise."

Okay. Let's talk about Hurley. I noticed (and I will watch closely when I view the tape again - to verify this) that when Jack was getting ready to go down the rabbit hole, and re-light the island, and Hurley was concerned about who was going to 'protect the island', and Jack got a used plastic bottle, scooped up some water in it, had Hurley drink it, and placed his hand on Hurley's shoulder saying, "You're now like me."

Ummm... wasn't this was during the same blackout (pun intended) period of 'time', when the 'light' had been turned off? When both Jack and John (aka 'the man in black') had become mortals? When Richard Alpert had become mortal and started aging? Also note that Jack didn't mutter the 'immortal' words over the container of water like his predecessor Jacob did, and the lady did before him.

Soooooo... that's the reason that Hurley was with the group at the end of the show. He had lived a normal 'mortal' life time. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the 'immortality' of anyone living there had been 'LOST' - as Jack hadn't been in charge long enuf to learn the 'magic' immortality words to use - and to transfer to the next guy (Hurley) - who wasn't able to transfer it to the next guy... and so on.

You can dispute this if you will - and say that it was 'symbolic' or some other BS, but this was MY take on what I saw.

I agree with JimmyPage. The writers were making it all up as they went along. The last episode was just a 'wrap' party, where everyone got to hug, cry and say goodbye. It wasn't meant to answer any questions.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit