What type of sauce or toppings do you like on your steak?

by Heartbreaker 44 Replies latest jw friends

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Horseradish in mayo or Heinz57 sauce, usually. I like something with a bite to it. A good whiskey sauce is nice too. A1 and Heinz57 only differ in their base. Heinz has apple puree, and A1 uses raisin puree for the sweet component in the sauces, but the other big flavor ingredient in both sauces is anchovies, believe it or not! They're very salty and oily things and rendered down for their flavor in the sauces, used a lot like bacon is in sauces and as a flavoring.

I hate to tell you, but even gourmet cooks utilize ketchup in recipes...it's just a very tomato-y version of barbeque sauce, tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar and spices. Chefs used to make their own and it was so popular it finally got bottled for convenience sake in the 1910 era.

Meatloaf without ketchup is a sorry thing, if you ask me.

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

I am now seriously hungry for some ketchup and meatloaf.. one of my absolute favorites.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I saute my steaks in butter, garlic, and white wine with a little bit of salt and pepper. My kids like to eat their steaks with A1 or worcestershire sauce, hubby likes his steak with A1 or horseradish sauce. I usually use the pan drippings as a sauce for my steak and I also like something with a bit of asian flavor to it like Annie's Consorzio California Teriyaki Sauce but alas it's been discontinued.

• Gregor
    Gregor

A very tender rare to medium rare steak (esp. a filet mignon) with a small pat of butter melting on top is really delicious!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

• A knob of bleu cheese buried in a grilled ground sirloin burger.
    • Crispy quick-sauteed onion (caramelized would be slow cooked)
    • Sauteed mushrooms in red wine to deglaze
    • Side of horseradish

Bottled sauces - Worcestershire or ketchup - meh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit