Sister in my Congregation claims Jehovah always answers her prayers....including her new skirt and shoes for $20 bucks???

by Witness 007 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Jehovah provided a way for them because IBM made a special deal on computer systems" and such.

Right. In that case, my customer must be approved by Jeehober since they get about 60% off list price since they do over $100M of business with us.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Right. In that case, my customer must be approved by Jeehober since they get about 60% off list price since they do over $100M of business with us.

Exactly - and, if you were around at the time, this printing transformation to offset methods cost the society millions, and they had to openly solicit contributions for it for the first time in many witnesses memory. I can still remember how outraged many ordinary witnesses were at the time over these continued cries for more and more money.

Some who were at Bethel when this went on have recounted the many expensive failures during this effort - including the attempt to convert some of the existing presses to offset which was generally considered to have been an expensive fiasco.

• anewme
    anewme

I remember being a penniless pioneer in the 70s. My car was so shabby. I bought it for $200 and it leaked oil badly. I was very lonely had no family and was barely feeding myself. Life was very challenging with no education and merely cleaning homes to pay rent on a small lean-to cottage in someones backyard.

I had so much trouble finding someone to work in afternoon field service with me one summer while the congregation was remodeling the kingdom hall.

An older very quirky sister (she produced rather loud phlegmy crackly sounds from her throat every two seconds) offered an hour with me on one hot summer afternoon. She drove up in a lovely pre-owned caddillac and shared with me the miracle that Jehovah had bestowed upon her. I was told the caddillac was in exchange for her years of faith and putting up with her then dead husband who was a test of her faith.

Her story bugged me alot. I went to the congregation overseer and repeated the story to him and asked what he thought and did he think it was true. He said something I thought was a brilliant word at the right time. He said "Whether an answer to a prayer is from God or not, it is never wrong to thank God for the things we have."

That gem made sense to me. People are always praying to God for help and guidance and necessities and they are always thanking him when they receive what they need. So what? What else are they going to do? We are all stuck in terrible situations beyond our abilities to cope with sometimes. Our species naturally calls out to the cosmic forces for extra help at those times.

Whether that help comes from within, or from another person or from an outside entity our species feels immense gratitude. We have an overwhelming desire to thank someone.

Since that sister shared her story with me I do think I too became the recipient of special attention from God on several occasions for help that is quite unexplainable any other way. And since I have been dfd the help from above has not stopped!

Oh, I also am the assistant manager of a new Salvation Army Store in our town, I kid you not! All these service clothes now and I dont go out in service!

So GO FIGURE!!!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Anewme

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is just plain stupid. A prayer answering including getting cheap clothing is only an illusion. Wal-Mart sells these items for around $20, but the quality is likely to be crap. Are the shoes comfortable? Is the skirt a quality unit? Or, are there obvious signs that the skirt is going to develop major problems and that the shoes will not last 6 months? Even if so, that would not necessarily be a blessing from that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag--mere luck can result in certain articles of clothing holding out much better than normal. Even a crap line can produce a single random high-quality unit.

Now, if they were going to the Salvation Army and buying the same clothing for $20, they are as likely to get a good deal. True, they are probably second hand. Yet, they are likely to last at least as long as new Crap Mart clothing. And, hardly a blessing directly from God. Since when do they announce that Wal-Mart, or the Salvation Army, has answered their prayers?

And the same could go the other way. I go to L.L.Beans to get clothing that is durable. True, the prices are higher than Wal-Mart or the Salvation Army (but, surprisingly, the prices are about middling to low in the scale of upscale department stores). But, the quality is much higher than anything you get in all but the most upscale stores where you could end up paying more than $200 for a pair of jeans. Now, do I attribute that to Jehovah that I buy something from L.L.Beans and it performs exceptionally well or lasts exceptionally long? Hardly.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

anewme

That was friggin hilarious!!!!

I personally feel the same way...that God has 'blessed' me in SO many ways even though I'm DF'd (according to the JWs and cong - I'm 'dead' to God)...

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Well, hell, God must love me half to death, because I just got a kicking brand new pair of shoes at a church thrift store for a dollar and a great jacket for 50 cents!

Why didn't he keep my house from being foreclosed on then? Oh, right...I'm an apostate...never mind. It couldn't have anything to do with the craptastic economy!

• logic
    logic

I have found throughout the years that the society has an abnormal amount of people with weird

ideas. They seem to take what the society says (which is 98 percent bull) and mix it up

with thier own dilusional ideas. When you are out you get an entirely different view of the people who

are in . To me it has always seemed impossible to reason with jws and not just the bible. The problem

seems to me to be that they do not research things out. They do not seem to apply any logic to anything.

The whole religion has contradictory ideas. God takes care of them yet they say time and chance

befalls them all.

My favorite story is the sister that was in our congregation whose small son fell out of a second

story window and had no ill effects at all. She felt an angel protected him. Would that not be a miracle?

Yet they say there are no miracles today.

I have personaly witnessed this kind of behavior many many times over the years and always just shook my head

in disbelief.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

the whole prayer issue drives me crazy and witnesses don't have the market on that insanity my mother a catholic tells me that whenever she loses anything she prays to st.anthony and he finds it for her everytime all my life I wondered about this anthony guy and how did he get stuck with this awful job of finding peoples crap.

• jambon1
    jambon1

This sort of thing always really pissed me off.

It's worth remembering that all these experiences of people getting 'gifts' of £33.65 which came in the form of a gas rebate which was the exact amount needed to do a repair on their pissy little car are experiences of Jehovah actually deliberately 'stepping in' & 'taking action' on behalf of one of his people. You don't get any more direct than that.

So if he can do this sort of thing which enables some shithouse to go around banging on empty houses for 70 hours a month, why can't he 'step in' & help a poor little 6 year old who is being abused senseless by some sick paedophile in the congregation?

I didn't want to worship a god like that.

• pirata
    pirata

It goes something like this:

Something Good for JW: Blessing from Jehovah

Something Bad for JW: Time and unforseen occurences OR Trial from Satan OR Too worldly

Something Good for Worldly: Still going to die in armageddon unless they listen

Something Bad for Worldy: Time and unforseen occurences OR He reaps what he sows

Something Outlaw once said comes to mind (Substitute "We miss you" with appropriate phrase):

Some creatures just like to make noise..

A dog barks..A crow caw`s..A cow moo`s..

A JW says "We miss you.."

Don`t take it personally..It`s just an animal making noise..

After applying Outlaw's outlook I'm a much happier person

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit